Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 69 31.80%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.44%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.30%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM

398 posts, read 698,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I LOVE where I live... unfortunately there are no jobs, the COL is ridiculously high and the town is more than 50% college students which doesn't bode well for someone my age (late 20s) trying to date...
Exactly my issue (one of at least) with my area. In areas of or near college towns, it seems there is a large gap in the age-range of the population -- teens and early 20's and retirement-age only. Everyone in-between, well, you just don't belong and folks will certainly make you feel it. Makes it very difficult to make connections, whether for employment purposes or just to make friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 PM

162 posts, read 305,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Exactly my issue (one of at least) with my area. In areas of or near college towns, it seems there is a large gap in the age-range of the population -- teens and early 20's and retirement-age only. Everyone in-between, well, you just don't belong and folks will certainly make you feel it. Makes it very difficult to make connections, whether for employment purposes or just to make friends.
You know, it's weird..I was just thinking how much it sucked living in Maine and how boring it is and there's nothing to do and how it's flurrying snow outside after the weather teased us with 70 degrees last week! Then today the dogs started going crazy and I looked out the window and there was a herd of about a dozen deer in my yard. I live about 2 miles from the town center, so I'm not exactly in the middle of nowhere. It may be dull, but I'll miss seeing that sort of thing when we move to Florida in August.( I just had the urge say that because I saw you were from Maine).
I told my husband and he was like, great - they're going to drop their ticks all over our yard..some people!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
As for me...

I live just outside Atlanta, GA and while I really like the hospitable and friendly people and the food (fried chicken ) I just can't stand the heat... This year most of the country has been nailed with snowstorms but we haven't had any. In fact last night there may have been snow (it was on the roofs). Don't even get me started on the furnace that is summer. And it's humid too which makes it worse. We've been here too many times and visited here so many times that at this point I want something different.

I want colder weather so I'd love to move to Kansas City, which should be similar enough to feel like here but different. It's also got a relatively low cost of living, as far as I can tell and fantastic BBQ . For some reason my heart seems inexorably drawn to Missouri - it just seems "right" somehow so I desperately want to move there.

Aside from that I'm very interested in colder climes - Madison, WI and St Paul, MN to be precise. Beautiful old historic homes in the Twin Cities especially - i'd love to live in one . Find a nice, walkable neighborhood with nearby amenities and easy transport perhaps...

Aside from that maybe the Pacific Northwest somewhere. Still looking into other cities which could work, but I know it has to be colder than here... Cold winters with guaranteed snow in a quiet, out-of-the-way state, friendly people, a grocery store in walking distance, and nearby amenities... one day, hopefully...
All that points to Indianapolis

Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I really could not answer the poll because I don't hate where I live but I want to move from there. It's become too expensive and is not the city it was when I first moved here many years ago. I hardly recognize it any longer. And it really no longer suits me.

As soon as I receive some funds I am waiting for I will be moving. It's a big country, I believe that if you don't like where you are, there are so many other places you can go.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Whatever my needs are at the moment. I'm getting to the point that I need to be able to live without driving, finding an ideal place is the next challenge
I am sick of suburban sprawl and driving everywhere and no walkable cities. Most of the south does not have many walkable cities. Florida was the worst, you do not want to have car trouble off the Florida Turnpike. You may get run over just stepping out of the car,lol.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I am sick of suburban sprawl and driving everywhere and no walkable cities. Most of the south does not have many walkable cities. Florida was the worst, you do not want to have car trouble off the Florida Turnpike. You may get run over just stepping out of the car,lol.
Oh how I agree! It was such a culture shock for me when I first moved to Florida from Brooklyn, NY. I felt so isolated and far away from everything! Even the so called "walk-able" neighborhoods in Florida didn't cut it for me...

I've been lurking on the Walk Score website to be sure my next location is walk-able and avoid suburban sprawl at all cost
I may be taking a look-see trip to Grand Rapids, Mi...it's a walk-able city and Lake Michigan is close by

Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
What other cities are on that site? I will have to check it out, thanks!!.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
What other cities are on that site? I will have to check it out, thanks!!.
Tons! It really is a cool website... Get Your Walk Score - Find Walkable Apartments and Rentals check it out...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM

175 posts, read 279,445 times
I love where I live and it would be really hard to leave.

I live in NYC (Manhattan). I got a lot of flack for moving here, naysayers assuring me it would be too expensive. However, my rent and utilities cost less here than they did in Houston. This is because I am in my 20's and live with (awesome) roomies, which has only enhanced my experience here.

I love NYC because the pulse and spirit is palpable. There is also so much diversity of class and culture, on a relatively short walk you can experience distinct vibes of different neighborhoods. Did I say walk? Omygoodness you can walk here! Such a novelty after coming from Houston. And the public transportation is a dream. I didn't realize how soul-sucking it is to be stuck in trafic an hour to-and-from work everyday until I moved here.

In fact, if I ever do leave NYC, it will be to a city where driving is not a constant necessity but more a convenient supplement to walking and/or public transportation.

I also love the weather. I get season depression (in the summer), and the consecutive 90-day triple-diget heat back in Texas drained my spirit and energy. In NY it gets hot, but it is in the context of the four seasons, so it seems more predictable and tolerable. I love the red-orange foliage in the Fall, the white Christmases, flowery Springs here, etc.

I feel more alive here than I ever did elsewhere. It is not for everyone, but it is for me and I feel so grateful to call NYC home after years of fantasizing and letting those (mostly who have never been here) to discourage me, probably because they never had the courage to follow their own dreams.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
I was born and raised in the area I live in. I've lived in 3 different towns, all within 30 minutes of each other. I can't wait to get out of here, and neither can my husband.

The economy is shot and the housing market is non-existent. We're one of the top places in the country for foreclosures. The area is dependant on agriculture and construction, so we have a very high unemplooyment rate.

Summers are hot and miserable. It makes my husband and son sick and I can't take it anymore either. Winters are damp and the tule fog is truly a killer. It's the leading cause of road deaths in the winter. I try to avoid driving at certain times of the day because of it. Fall is ok, but not very crisp. The leaves just turn brown. No real color.

I would love to move when our lease is up at the end of the year, but we don't have the money yet. We may have to wait a couple more years before we can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues