U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 68 31.48%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.50%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.56%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM

517 posts, read 358,925 times

Advertisements

As a native from Ireland, after living in 5 different states all within Northeast corridor; I really feel i've found my niche in Jersey as it's quite central & ideal for my needs. So close to NYC, Philly, and within driving/amtrack distance to Boston/D.C yet have my greenary, foilage and 4 seasons. Love love Jersey! the fact I'm so near mountains, parks yet 40-45 mins down to the shore for my dip in the Ocean doesn't hurt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM

541 posts, read 1,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I hate winter. I want to live somewhere where it doesn't exist but I can't think of anywhere that would appeal to me in other aspects. I live in Virginia and I have to wear a jacket from September to about May. 4 months of being able to walk around outside? Ugh. I realize I am weird about temps lol...I keep my place at a very comfortable 78 degrees- 80 when I want to wear shorts and such around the house. I LOVE the summer heat you all are complaining about.
I hear you! We moved to MA for my husband's job a little over 2 years ago. He grew up here (I am from NYC) and I lived in his hometown for 9 years before we moved to FL for 5 and 1/2 years. We did not want to leave FL, but the benefits at the job were too good to pass up (a friend told us about the position.) Now we regret it. The weather stinks from the end of October till the middle of May. I hate anything under 70 so spring stinks here for me too-cool (40's/50's) and gray and damp. We forgot how much we hated the weather here. One of the big reasons we moved. Plus my parents are there and all of our friends. Trying to get back ASAP!

The town we are in is beautiful 4 months of the year. The house we are renting is $$$ but really cute. I can't find a decent job here though and it is $$$. Another negative.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,018,527 times
I voted "Hate it", but I think there should be a category of "strongly dislike".

I dont exactly hate Virginia Beach, VA, it has some positives, but on the other hand, if I was given the opportunity to leave, and it was on my shortlist of places Id rather go, I wouldnt turn it down.

The biggest reason I dislike Virginia Beach is its lack of opportunity for people in my profession. The second is that its completely unaffordable. The third is that there is little to nothing to do, especially things that are free.

If money was no object, I would like to live in NYC for atleast a few years during my life, but other than that, Im actually a pretty big fan of the New England states that arent Massachusetts. I would be up to going to probably a dozen alternative places atleast though, no questions asked.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 PM

980 posts, read 1,929,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I came to Miami from the Mountain West for a job, worked at it a few years, then quit to get my Ph.D. During that time I have both loved and hated Miami and now I couldn't care less about the place, one way or the other, because I'm just burned out on it.

There are some things about south Florida that I love and will miss when I'm gone, but the negatives--too many people, their rude and entitled attitudes, the outrageous political corruption, the feeling of being a stranger in my own country--cannot be overcome. People here describe Miami in terms such as "a beautiful, tempestuous woman who tells you she loves you, then slaps your face." Well, I don't love manufactured drama the way latins do, and I don't care to fight the rest of the populace from the time I leave my house in the morning to when I return in the evening.

Add to this the fact that the job market for scientists and engineers is nonexistent in south Florida and I am packing my bags. Let the place be inundated by rising ocean levels or sink under the graft of its banana republic politics, I don't care. I will treasure my happy memories but once I'm gone I never have to come back here, ever again.
I can definitely relate. I too live in Miami but I am spending all of July in Seattle. I know it is summer and the weather is different in the winter, but I enjoy the fact that it is very walkable, cool comfortable summer days, and the lack of loud people.

In general people have a dryer sense of humor, but I will take that any day over the rude, selfish, and low class people in Miami. In Aug. I will be back in Miami, but at least I would have escaped some of the heat, and Miami in general.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Some times it is the external reasons-if your physical surroundings are contrary to who you really are (10 months of summer in my case), it's hard to have inner happiness. Believe me, I've tried to be content in Florida but by May I'm ready for a change. I just don't fit with the "Florida Lifestyle"-never really have.

But I know what you mean and agree that internal happiness is paramount.
True, good post.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM

565 posts, read 1,114,193 times
I hate where I live now amd can't wait to get out of here. Born and raised in San Diego, and more than kinda sick of the people-or really, the vast amounts of people who tend to act the same-the high cost of living-I don't give two poops about the "Sunshine Tax", the sun doesn't pay my rent or bills-how I can't go anywhere without there being a sea of people there too putting dampers on why I get away, just everything.

Hoping I can find a suitable apartment in Colorado Springs soon and get the hell on out.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 AM

4,532 posts, read 5,112,296 times
really dislike the northeast---am tired of living near white trash(they are everywhere),unless you have political or organized connections or big bucks--rentals are primarily run by slumlords

the stores and shopping centers are filthy---i could go on---am reaching a point where i may leave the daughters here and go elsewhere on my own

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Location: PNW native currently residing in the SoCal high desert
259 posts, read 560,596 times
If I had never left my home state and seen this I would have voted "love where I live and will never leave." I used to say that all the time when I lived there, but sometimes life throws you several curve balls and you end up somewhere that you never thought you'd be in a million years, lol.
I do not like where I live now, never have liked anywhere we've lived in California. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the situation I'm in though, but if DH was willing, I could leave at a drop of a hat (I'd just sell, give away, most of my our possessions, I've never been one to hang on to things). I've done the pick up and move somewhere a few times before, and I'm not afraid to do it again. I have family (both a brother and father) in the PNW that has made it perfectly clear, several times, that we could stay with them until we got settled (actually my father is lonely in a big house, gets along famously with my husband, and loves having his grandchildren around, and would probably love if we stayed with him permanently, lol).
My DH, OTOH, is much more practicle He would never just up and leave, is far more "possessed" by his possessions than I am and would not go anywhere unless he has a job lined up and enough savings to move all his possessions with us

Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 AM

15,207 posts, read 31,172,185 times
Voted love it - never leave. I am a native of Florida (born and raised) and this state is in my blood. I currently live (with my hubby) in beautiful Sarasota - a small coastal city with spectacular beaches and scenery and (to me) great weather and amenities. I am a warm weather person, and I do like some humidity. Even summers here are not that bad to me - it has been in the mid to high 80's here all summer, and although it gets pretty humid some days, not all the time and always a nice breeze off the bay. We considered going to the mountains someday for retirement (Asheville, NC) but while lovely, it just wasn't us (and too cold!!) and we sold our vacation home there.

We are quite content here.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Voted love it - never leave. I am a native of Florida (born and raised) and this state is in my blood. I currently live (with my hubby) in beautiful Sarasota - a small coastal city with spectacular beaches and scenery and (to me) great weather and amenities. I am a warm weather person, and I do like some humidity. Even summers here are not that bad to me - it has been in the mid to high 80's here all summer, and although it gets pretty humid some days, not all the time and always a nice breeze off the bay. We considered going to the mountains someday for retirement (Asheville, NC) but while lovely, it just wasn't us (and too cold!!) and we sold our vacation home there.

We are quite content here.
Sarasota is nice and does have a mild winter. Even though it is mild, the temps does cool off enough during the winters that one can be A/C free for days, at times even weeks at a time and just open the windows and enjoy the cooler weather. Beaches are beautiful in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues