U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 68 31.48%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.50%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.56%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,623,697 times

Advertisements

I really like it here. The only real drawback I see these days is the lack of single men between the ages of 30-45 and the overabundance of single women in that same age bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 PM

25,030 posts, read 23,924,861 times
You'll find that in every city and town.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 9,495 times
I am coming up on my 30th bday (yeaaaaa ) and after 17 years of being in Charleston, SC, I am soooooooooooooo ready to move! I lived in NYC until I was 12 and unfortunately I don't remember too much of the city, except the shopping lol. Of what I can remember, I did have some great memories there and I would love to move back there but I won't be able to afford to live in the big apple... just yet Put I decided to put some fire to my behind and make a big move. I am about to move to Houston!!! I'm definitely not going to lie..... I'm so nervous but I believe this is a good move for me!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM

181 posts, read 446,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I don't want to take this thread off topic...

But you know what I am really finding is that until I am REALLY happy with myself and the person I am I end up not being happy with any place we've moved. I've moved many, many times and this seems like the first time in my life I am beginning to connect that I think I could be happy anywhere if I was simply happy with myself. I'm not sure anymore if it is an actual place that could make me happy, because every time I thought that would happen with each move I ended up over time feeling "stuck" again.

I was wondering if that is true for anyone else?

It's hard for me to hear this comment. I hear it a lot, especially from my family, who now call me "The Gypsy" (I have only lived in two other cities, I'm not THAT bad!) Anyway...to some extent I agree. If you're an unhappy/depressed person, you might be unhappy anywhere. But....there are always certain concrete things (like weather, or public transportation options) that could be definitely more to your liking somewhere else. And all of those things contribute to your overall happiness, and whether or not you feel like getting out there and making your experience in the city a good one. If you feel beaten down by the place, it's very hard to make that effort. I have never been such a recluse as I have been here in LA. A lot of it simply has to do with how DIFFICULT it is to drive across town, find parking, or schedule time with anyone. It's not a place that is set up for spontaneity and friendship.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 9,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I LOVE where I live... unfortunately there are no jobs, the COL is ridiculously high and the town is more than 50% college students which doesn't bode well for someone my age (late 20s) trying to date.

So, I'm planning on moving to a larger area and hope to eventually find my way back down here to raise a family one day. I'm going to miss being close to the beach and the nearly perfect year round weather, but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the long run
I definitely agree with u... except the moving back part

Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,369,309 times
I cannot wait to get out of South Florida!
I've been researching for over a year, trying to figure out where I want to land.
While I'm not a fan of cold winters, after 16 years down here, I've learned there's a lot more to life than the weather.
For me - I want a sense of community aka nice people.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,202,856 times
I like where I live except for the long and cold winters. In a few years (retirement) want to move to another region of the country (warmer winters, but still 4 seasons). Lived in California before the Midwest, next destination will be somewhere in the south.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,644,667 times
I Like where I'm living but feel I've come to the end of the road here, daily living is very expensive and getting worse by the week, the job market is declining and I can deal with 7 months of winter as long as there is some semblance of summer at the end. This year July had 7 days of 70F or above and August is looking to be about the same and I've had enough !

Next up .. how to tell the kids we are selling up and jumping state

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 PM

58 posts, read 43,919 times
Default Saying Sayanora to Atlanta in 1 Week (Thankfully!)

I have lived in a couple of "major" cities since graduating college a few years ago, neither of which I have particularly cared for. One of those cities is Atlanta, which I am thankfully getting out of in a week after living here just shy of two years. I personally cannot STAND Atlanta, but I know plenty of people who absolutely love it here and want to continue living here for the foreseeable future. Frankly, it seems to be one of those cities you either love or hate (and I'm most definitely in the latter category). For me, it's so much more than just the traffic that's horrible. From personal experiences, Atlanta is a very "seen and be seen" city , or if you are frequenting the Buckhead neighborhood (which is by far my least favorite neighborhood in all of the Metro area), it's very much like I'm back in college with frat boys spilling beer on my shoes and listening to an awful DJ . Atlanta also has a very big artsy scene, which is not my cup of tea either. I guess I just never felt like I fit in in this city, never really found my "niche." Plus, the majority of people I've come in contact with during my time here are incredibly rude and phony, which doesn't help. For me, people can make or break a city in terms of likability.

If I could move anywhere, my Top 3 Cities would be 1) Denver (my dream city since first visiting in 2005), 2) Nashville, or 3) Charleston, SC (where I was born). Talk about great cities!

And in case anyone was wondering, the other major city I lived in that I didn't care for was DC. That city is way too much about power, politics, and egotistical personas for this girl.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 PM

58 posts, read 43,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirlmovingnorth View Post
I am coming up on my 30th bday (yeaaaaa ) and after 17 years of being in Charleston, SC, I am soooooooooooooo ready to move! I lived in NYC until I was 12 and unfortunately I don't remember too much of the city, except the shopping lol. Of what I can remember, I did have some great memories there and I would love to move back there but I won't be able to afford to live in the big apple... just yet Put I decided to put some fire to my behind and make a big move. I am about to move to Houston!!! I'm definitely not going to lie..... I'm so nervous but I believe this is a good move for me!
Ha, I would KILL to move back to my birth city of Charleston, SC! But I generally prefer smaller cities over the two major metro areas I have resided in since college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues