U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 68 31.48%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.50%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.56%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,884,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Some times it is the external reasons-if your physical surroundings are contrary to who you really are (10 months of summer in my case), it's hard to have inner happiness. Believe me, I've tried to be content in Florida but by May I'm ready for a change. I just don't fit with the "Florida Lifestyle"-never really have. me too!

But I know what you mean and agree that internal happiness is paramount.
I hear you @vaughanwilliams...it has been such a warm winter (except for today ) that I am really dreading the upcoming months (March/April)...

Summertime, for me, is brutal here in Florida. I hope to be long gone before it approaches...it's hard to feel comfortable when it's so hot you can't breath and sweat covers you as soon as you step out of the a/c.

The weather can be a big factor in tolerating the place you live especially if you're unhappy in your surroundings and/or internally...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 578,952 times
Smile We live in a walkable neighborhood

Early this afternoon I was outside working in my front garden, and thinking about how much I do like my location! We live in a walkable neighborhood close to a large historical park. Today they were having the annual "Antique Tractor Festival" and it was nice to hear the tractors. Then I stood up and just stopped working: a female was singing the National Anthem and it was beautiful! It is nice to live in a lively place that is walkable to the park, library, Senior Center, Post Office, Walgreens, Boston Market, Applebees', a grocery store, Home Depot, the community college, and two of the busiest bus lines in the city. Perfect gardening weather today: roses, daffodils, and daisies are blooming right now. It should be a good location for us when we become Senior Citizens, because everything is close by.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
Except for my first six years, I have lived my entire life in WY. I graduated from H.S. and had made up my mind to get out of here, but let my parents scare me out of it. They thought I was being selfish and crazy for wanting to go- they wanted to keep their thumb on me. I married, had three kids and begged my husband to leave WY but he didn't really want to and fought me on it. Now finally he would love to get out of here too, but we have three teenagers to consider (who also want to leave this town), my husband has a secure job and insurance, and a mother-in-law who has health issues and completely depends on us ever since my father-in-law passed in 2010. There is too much extended family drama here and I'd like nothing more than to be away from it.

Our town is small, there is not much to do. We do have pretty mountains and low crime, but it's dry and fairly windy year round. Cold and snowy in the winter- below zero happens often. It's a cliquish small town and hard to find your place unless you conform to the majority. Closest decent shopping is 2.5 hours away- it's 35 minutes to Walmart. 5-6 hours to the nearest big airports in Salt Lake City, UT and Denver Co. Hate is too weak of a word to describe how I feel about living here. I'd love to go somewhere warmer, and greener for sure- where there is more going on.

I feel for you, maybe when the kids get older and they make a break for it you could follow?

Don't you wish we all could play "musical places" or "trading places"?

It would be like an exchange program within the USA...short/long term stays with "sponsors" in other places that are the complete opposite of where we live, if we like it we have the option to stay, if not we get to go back...

Hmmm...maybe I'm onto something

I wish you well @vk40 and hope things work out and an opportunity presents itself and you can find the place you're longing for...

Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Early this afternoon I was outside working in my front garden, and thinking about how much I do like my location! We live in a walkable neighborhood close to a large historical park. Today they were having the annual "Antique Tractor Festival" and it was nice to hear the tractors. Then I stood up and just stopped working: a female was singing the National Anthem and it was beautiful! It is nice to live in a lively place that is walkable to the park, library, Senior Center, Post Office, Walgreens, Boston Market, Applebees', a grocery store, Home Depot, the community college, and two of the busiest bus lines in the city. Perfect gardening weather today: roses, daffodils, and daisies are blooming right now. It should be a good location for us when we become Senior Citizens, because everything is close by.
Sounds perfect!

Care to share?! East Coast? West Coast? North/South? In the middle?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 16,436 times
I am in Austin, TX and neither my husband nor I can stand it here. The only thing about Austin that isn't worse than where we moved from (St. Louis) is the winter weather, which is admittedly quite pleasant. But that's more than canceled out by the hotter-than-Satan's-butthole summer weather, not to mention everything else about the place.

We moved down for DH's job last summer, and in that respect, it was an incredible opportunity, but we hope to be gone in a few years. I went back to school once we got here (had been working retail before the move) and will be done with that program in 18 months. We'll either go then, or once I get a couple years experience at a local job in the field. The ideal situation would be for DH to transfer within the company - their other large center is in Atlanta. It wouldn't be home, but it would be closer.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadis27 View Post
I am in Austin, TX and neither my husband nor I can stand it here. The only thing about Austin that isn't worse than where we moved from (St. Louis) is the winter weather, which is admittedly quite pleasant. But that's more than canceled out by the hotter-than-Satan's-butthole summer weather (hahahaha), not to mention everything else about the place.

We moved down for DH's job last summer, and in that respect, it was an incredible opportunity, but we hope to be gone in a few years. I went back to school once we got here (had been working retail before the move) and will be done with that program in 18 months. We'll either go then, or once I get a couple years experience at a local job in the field. The ideal situation would be for DH to transfer within the company - their other large center is in Atlanta. It wouldn't be home, but it would be closer.
Best description ever! LMAO "the hotter-than-Satan's-butthole summer weather"
Perfectly describes how I feel about Florida's weather 6 months with a lot of humidity throw into the mix (sometimes longer, like this year) out of the year...

Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM

229 posts, read 519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I feel for you, maybe when the kids get older and they make a break for it you could follow?

Don't you wish we all could play "musical places" or "trading places"?

It would be like an exchange program within the USA...short/long term stays with "sponsors" in other places that are the complete opposite of where we live, if we like it we have the option to stay, if not we get to go back...

Hmmm...maybe I'm onto something

I wish you well @vk40 and hope things work out and an opportunity presents itself and you can find the place you're longing for...
Awww, thanks so much Tiluha, and that's an awesome idea!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Bump I just wanted to ask:

If you hate where you live or daydream about a new location, where would you like to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Just curious how C-D'ers feel about their current locations...
If you like, love, hate or could care less where you live and are willing to tell us why...
If you were given all the support (i.e. finances, jobs, movers, a place to live, etc.) you needed to relocate where would you go?

Thanks for sharing

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM

4,934 posts, read 7,591,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
^^^
This, in my opinion, is what transforms a place from "meh" to "I love it!". Close enough to amenities that you can actually experience your neighborhood by walking daily, and also close to some nice natural/historic areas to take in some natural beauty and cultural events. You are lucky, and smart to recognize it. There are places like this all over the country, but they are still the rare jewels of the area shining above the riffraff or mediocrity of so much of this country.

My neighborhood is just like this and it is why I love it! A historic house, sweet garden and amazing neighbors. Also it doesn't hurt that I live in a beautiful coastal city with perfect weather

Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM

254 posts, read 485,815 times
I hate a love/ frustrated relationship with my area. I love the farms here, the nature, and the availability of every store you could ever need and the cultural and religious diversity. I am frustrated with the people, greedy Chinese people clearing the shelves whenever there is a sale, willing to knock down my three yr old to get that last on sale item. Then there is the pretentious white people who think they are better than everyone else, and those church goers who only talk to people from their church...not friendly at all. I hate that everyone keeps so segregated here, based on religion, culture, race..etc but I guess it's like that pretty much everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues