U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 68 31.48%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.50%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.56%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM

304 posts, read 530,211 times

Advertisements

I would love to move, but I have a job with benefits right now. It's not a great job, but it's a job. It takes a lot of money to up and move to another state, money I don't have. Money really can buy happiness (in the form of freedom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,886,082 times
Thanks 1brokegirl (BTW love your username but, sorry to hear you're stuck because of finances in a place you dislike)

If you were given or had all the support you needed where would you move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I would love to move, but I have a job with benefits right now. It's not a great job, but it's a job. It takes a lot of money to up and move to another state, money I don't have. Money really can buy happiness (in the form of freedom).

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

304 posts, read 530,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Thanks 1brokegirl (BTW love your username but, sorry to hear you're stuck because of finances in a place you dislike)

If you were given or had all the support you needed where would you move?
Probably the midwest somewhere (Wisconsin, MN, etc). I am tired of the heat and exhorbitant rents and every want ad stating that you must be bilingual.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I really like where I live now. I've liked most other places as well... I think a lot of it is attitude. I do refuse to live anywhere they have actual Winter though.
I live in a winter climate, but it was only bad this year because we had next to no snow. I'll take the winter tradeoff w/snow for mild weather the rest of the year? Texas!? That is like living on the surface of the sun

Old 02-14-2012, 01:31 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,976,422 times
I like where I live, but am looking for a different job that pays $$$. Right now that is difficult as one might imagine...

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM

awww.. I can definitely relate to the HEAT! I won't be able to stand another scorching summer here, at least the last day or two has been comfortable, but this year I have yet to turn my a/c off for more than a day or two!!

I've been looking hard at Grand Rapids, Mi and its surrounding neighborhoods, it seems to have a lot on my list of the ideal location for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
Probably the midwest somewhere (Wisconsin, MN, etc). I am tired of the heat and exhorbitant rents and every want ad stating that you must be bilingual.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM

229 posts, read 519,900 times
Tiluha, I've been to FL three times- to DisneyWorld. But we always dreamed of moving there (FL) due to the fact that we hate the long winters here in WY. We have lots of sun, there aren't a lot of cloudy days, but we do have times that are below zero even with the sun shining! I worry though that we would move to FL and then would the heat bother us?? We've been there in April, May and October and even though we had some pretty warm humid days on those trips, I'm guessing maybe we didn't feel the full force of it. I spent the first six years of my life in IL and I know it gets humid there. As a teen I remember going back to visit and taking a shower, then stepping outside and being completely soaked again by the humidity. We hate the dryness here, but I worry we would grow to hate the humidity. Where is that perfect place???!!! I'm going to keep looking.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM

840 posts, read 676,534 times
Hate where I live. Extremely rural,so far from everything,nosy people butting into your life every step of the way...really can't wait to move...3 more months....can't come soon enough.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
Tiluha, I've been to FL three times- to DisneyWorld. But we always dreamed of moving there (FL) due to the fact that we hate the long winters here in WY. We have lots of sun, there aren't a lot of cloudy days, but we do have times that are below zero even with the sun shining! I worry though that we would move to FL and then would the heat bother us?? We've been there in April, May and October and even though we had some pretty warm humid days on those trips, I'm guessing maybe we didn't feel the full force of it. I spent the first six years of my life in IL and I know it gets humid there. As a teen I remember going back to visit and taking a shower, then stepping outside and being completely soaked again by the humidity. We hate the dryness here, but I worry we would grow to hate the humidity. Where is that perfect place???!!! I'm going to keep looking.
The heat and humidity in Florida can be pretty brutal. That being said, some people do adjust to it.

It's true that once you step out into it after taking a shower you will be completely soaked in sweat! The humidity can be so bad that if you don't run your a/c it can wreak havoc in your house (i.e. mold, mildew, dry food storage) and just a general feeling of "ick". The heat can also do damage to the interior of your car if you don't have covered parking, the sun and heat has melted and deformed plenty of dashboards.

At its peak it gets so hot that your car will feel and is hotter than an oven and the steering wheel is often too hot to touch until the a/c cools it off, that is if... 1) you have working a/c 2) time to sit while your car cools off 3) you don't mind feeling like you're roasting or 4) the feeling of slow suffocation...

I know the same can be said for frigid temps and also having to dig your car out of the snow, but in my opinion dealing with the extreme heat and humidity is a whole different animal...it changes people's attitude...

It may be great when you first get here, but you may find that after awhile the heat just goes on for too long and the cooling off period is way too short and you find yourself longing for the cold...

Quote:
Where is that perfect place???!!! I'm going to keep looking.
It's out there... I just know it is

Old 02-14-2012, 04:33 PM

229 posts, read 519,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
The heat and humidity in Florida can be pretty brutal. That being said, some people do adjust to it.

It's true that once you step out into it after taking a shower you will be completely soaked in sweat! The humidity can be so bad that if you don't run your a/c it can wreak havoc in your house (i.e. mold, mildew, dry food storage) and just a general feeling of "ick". The heat can also do damage to the interior of your car if you don't have covered parking, the sun and heat has melted and deformed plenty of dashboards.

At its peak it gets so hot that your car will feel and is hotter than an oven and the steering wheel is often too hot to touch until the a/c cools it off, that is if... 1) you have working a/c 2) time to sit while your car cools off 3) you don't mind feeling like you're roasting or 4) the feeling of slow suffocation...

I know the same can be said for frigid temps and also having to dig your car out of the snow, but in my opinion dealing with the extreme heat and humidity is a whole different animal...it changes people's attitude...

It may be great when you first get here, but you may find that after awhile the heat just goes on for too long and the cooling off period is way too short and you find yourself longing for the cold...

It's out there... I just know it is
Exactly what I worry about. And yes, we will find our spot someday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues