U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 68 31.48%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.50%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.56%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 PM

443 posts, read 773,233 times

Advertisements

As for me...

I live just outside Atlanta, GA and while I really like the hospitable and friendly people and the food (fried chicken ) I just can't stand the heat... This year most of the country has been nailed with snowstorms but we haven't had any. In fact last night there may have been snow (it was on the roofs). Don't even get me started on the furnace that is summer. And it's humid too which makes it worse. We've been here too many times and visited here so many times that at this point I want something different.

I want colder weather so I'd love to move to Kansas City, which should be similar enough to feel like here but different. It's also got a relatively low cost of living, as far as I can tell and fantastic BBQ . For some reason my heart seems inexorably drawn to Missouri - it just seems "right" somehow so I desperately want to move there.

Aside from that I'm very interested in colder climes - Madison, WI and St Paul, MN to be precise. Beautiful old historic homes in the Twin Cities especially - i'd love to live in one . Find a nice, walkable neighborhood with nearby amenities and easy transport perhaps...

Aside from that maybe the Pacific Northwest somewhere. Still looking into other cities which could work, but I know it has to be colder than here... Cold winters with guaranteed snow in a quiet, out-of-the-way state, friendly people, a grocery store in walking distance, and nearby amenities... one day, hopefully...

Last edited by icecreamsandwich; 02-14-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,107,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I live in a very rural area in the middle of Illinois. I can be anywhere I want in five minutes. Ten if I want to play a round of golf. I have four seasons. I don't need six locks on my doors. The city is small and self-contained in the Illinois River Valley. If I get bored I am 50 miles from the third largest MSA and oldest city in the state.
sigh--my ideal locale--minus winter weather and having only cows,chickens,etc as neighbors

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM

439 posts, read 818,784 times
I don't like my town at all. I am fairly close to Memphis, where I spend my weekends, but I'm not particularly crazy about Memphis either. I do like the climate and I have no problem with really hot summers (I like being warm). I would never, ever live somewhere with a harsh winter. I actually would enjoy moving back to AL, where I grew up.
I would really love to live somewhere close to the beach!
Both my family and my husband's live in the Memphis area though, and we would hate to be far from them.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,817,345 times
Whatever my needs are at the moment. I'm getting to the point that I need to be able to live without driving, finding an ideal place is the next challenge

Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 578,952 times
Wink Care to share?! East Coast? West Coast? North/South? In the middle?[/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Sounds perfect!

Care to share?! East Coast? West Coast? North/South? In the middle?
Glendale, Arizona, an inner-ring suburb of Phoenix. Summers are hot, but I'm a busy person, and I just keep going!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,884,833 times
Maybe everyone can move to Florida You would love the weather and the beaches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
I don't like my town at all. I am fairly close to Memphis, where I spend my weekends, but I'm not particularly crazy about Memphis either. I do like the climate and I have no problem with really hot summers (I like being warm). I would never, ever live somewhere with a harsh winter. I actually would enjoy moving back to AL, where I grew up.
I would really love to live somewhere close to the beach!
Both my family and my husband's live in the Memphis area though, and we would hate to be far from them.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,884,833 times
I hear you about the heat and humidity, same here in Florida...I'm looking to escape it real soon...Just to let you know that Kansas City, Mo can get pretty hot & humid in the summer, but for a much shorter period of time, it is a nice place...I, too would like to relocate to a nice walk-able city/town with much cooler temps...

best of luck to you in your journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
As for me...

I live just outside Atlanta, GA and while I really like the hospitable and friendly people and the food (fried chicken ) I just can't stand the heat... This year most of the country has been nailed with snowstorms but we haven't had any. In fact last night there may have been snow (it was on the roofs). Don't even get me started on the furnace that is summer. And it's humid too which makes it worse. We've been here too many times and visited here so many times that at this point I want something different.

I want colder weather so I'd love to move to Kansas City, which should be similar enough to feel like here but different. It's also got a relatively low cost of living, as far as I can tell and fantastic BBQ . For some reason my heart seems inexorably drawn to Missouri - it just seems "right" somehow so I desperately want to move there.

Aside from that I'm very interested in colder climes - Madison, WI and St Paul, MN to be precise. Beautiful old historic homes in the Twin Cities especially - i'd love to live in one . Find a nice, walkable neighborhood with nearby amenities and easy transport perhaps...

Aside from that maybe the Pacific Northwest somewhere. Still looking into other cities which could work, but I know it has to be colder than here... Cold winters with guaranteed snow in a quiet, out-of-the-way state, friendly people, a grocery store in walking distance, and nearby amenities... one day, hopefully...

Old 02-15-2012, 04:30 PM

892 posts, read 2,116,263 times
im in ohio.......for now. i cannot wait to leave this place. its very dull and its almost like people born here cant leave

Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM

416 posts, read 552,600 times
I'm in Florida and I hate it here. It's not the heat, it's the humidity! I can only enjoy the outdoors for 4 months of the year, the rest I'm seeking AC to escape the humidity. It puts me in a bad mood.
Not sure where I'd like to move, was thinking Washington.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,402,212 times
I live in boring lame northern Indiana. I have moved all over but end up here, its where my brothers are. I gave up on relocating. I been all over and in my own opinion every place sucks,lol. There is no perfect place. So now I just deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues