U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 68 31.48%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.50%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.56%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 AM
 
304 posts, read 530,488 times
Reputation: 462

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
Tiluha, I've been to FL three times- to DisneyWorld. But we always dreamed of moving there (FL) due to the fact that we hate the long winters here in WY. We have lots of sun, there aren't a lot of cloudy days, but we do have times that are below zero even with the sun shining! I worry though that we would move to FL and then would the heat bother us?? We've been there in April, May and October and even though we had some pretty warm humid days on those trips, I'm guessing maybe we didn't feel the full force of it. I spent the first six years of my life in IL and I know it gets humid there. As a teen I remember going back to visit and taking a shower, then stepping outside and being completely soaked again by the humidity. We hate the dryness here, but I worry we would grow to hate the humidity. Where is that perfect place???!!! I'm going to keep looking.
Think long and hard before moving here. For example, yesterday, I got heat stroke. I was at a large cageless zoo (lots of walking) and the weather was supposed to be in the mid-seventies. It was 87. In February. This is not even unusual. I don't know what the humidity was, probably around 70%? Not sure....unfortunately, I was not alone and could not leave when I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 7,762,943 times
Reputation: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
Think long and hard before moving here. For example, yesterday, I got heat stroke. I was at a large cageless zoo (lots of walking) and the weather was supposed to be in the mid-seventies. It was 87. In February. This is not even unusual. I don't know what the humidity was, probably around 70%? Not sure....unfortunately, I was not alone and could not leave when I wanted to.
Heat stroke?? Your body temperature went above 104 deg F?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Derby, Western Australia
3,091 posts, read 3,544,301 times
Reputation: 2159
Voted for the first option...

Not the world's most exciting city but there's enough to keep me interested and nothing uncomfortable about living here. I wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a while though Perth will always be home for me.

Likes:
-Nice scenery, beaches, weather
-Decent public transport considering the low-density
-Good employment opportunities
-Low crime, not overcrowded

Dislikes:
-Isolation from the rest of Australia/world
-Expensive
-Suburbs are rather lifeless and sterile
-Car-dependent (though this is improving)

Overall I like living here, provided I can afford an air ticket out at least once a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Seattle
20 posts, read 29,908 times
Reputation: 28
Not really a fan of the poll choices...

I love Chicago, but want to experience other places. I loved Seattle when I visited so I am moving there this year. After that who knows... Probably NYC or SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
67 posts, read 130,287 times
Reputation: 94
I'm currently in Western Michigan, but my house is up for sale, and the minute it sells, I'm off to Western North Carolina. I've wanted to move there for 7 years now. I want to be up in the mountains where there is still all 4 seasons, but I'm looking for a small town where I can live a more laid back lifestyle. I don't care about shopping malls or big box stores. I can order whatever I need on line or take a weekend trip to a large town to shop if needed. I'm looking for a quiet, friendly quality of life, where the town is small, quaint, people smile and actually say 'hello' and maybe stop and talk to each other. I love to hike and be outside.
I also have a job I can do anywhere, so I'm raring to go. If only my house would sell....been on the market since last summer. That's the only reason I'm still in Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
 
304 posts, read 530,488 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Heat stroke?? Your body temperature went above 104 deg F?
Let's just say one more minute and I would have collapsed. I generally don't carry thermometers with me at the zoo, so not sure what my temp was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 4,935,918 times
Reputation: 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue4u View Post
I'm currently in Western Michigan, but my house is up for sale, and the minute it sells, I'm off to Western North Carolina. I've wanted to move there for 7 years now. I want to be up in the mountains where there is still all 4 seasons, but I'm looking for a small town where I can live a more laid back lifestyle. I don't care about shopping malls or big box stores. I can order whatever I need on line or take a weekend trip to a large town to shop if needed. I'm looking for a quiet, friendly quality of life, where the town is small, quaint, people smile and actually say 'hello' and maybe stop and talk to each other. I love to hike and be outside.
I also have a job I can do anywhere, so I'm raring to go. If only my house would sell....been on the market since last summer. That's the only reason I'm still in Michigan
OMG...you want to move to crappy NC....(which happens to be my homestate, by the way.) Personally cant stand NC...Been here my whole life, born and raised...and at almost 40yrs. old...im ready for a new chapter...Looking to move out west....Something about the westcoast as a child has always resonated with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
67 posts, read 130,287 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
OMG...you want to move to crappy NC....(which happens to be my homestate, by the way.) Personally cant stand NC...Been here my whole life, born and raised...and at almost 40yrs. old...im ready for a new chapter...Looking to move out west....Something about the westcoast as a child has always resonated with me.

Yes...I do want to move to NC! Of that I'm sure.
Hopefully we both find what we are looking for. Im 48, and ready to start a new chapter of my life as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,087,797 times
Reputation: 938
I am in Northern VA right now, very close to DC. I cannot stand it - I moved here after I was married, to be with my husband after a long distance relationship. I am originally from Philadephia and I can't wait to move back home. He wants to get out of here too, it is too much. We are planning on relocating to the Newark, Delaware area within the year. He is able to work exclusively from home in 8 months, so at that point we will start planning. And while it would really be the pits to leave work and all the friends I made here, it will really be nice to live a lot closer to my family. His family lives up in PA too so he'll be closer as well. He has lived in this area for about 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Millington, TN
15 posts, read 23,318 times
Reputation: 19
I am in the Memphis area, born and raised here. I am ready to get out, and ready for a change. I like the change in seasons. Our summers can be pretty brutal as it is hot and humid here, though. We also have cold spells, too...sometimes with snow/ice.

I am drawn towards the Gulf Coast area (Mobile/Pensacola area) or the mountains of East TN (Tri Cities area). I am having a hard time making up my mind, as I like both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top