Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 69 31.80%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.44%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.30%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays2012 View Post
I currently reside in Dallas. Hate it. My dream destination is LA or San Diego.
Well come on out to California!

Dallas doesn't do much for me. Ft. Worth is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Love where you live, or work hard to get there. I'm guessing it would be really difficult to spend time in a place you really hate, or dislike. Although I was almost feeling that way for awhile. I really still love being closer to family then I am. The only downside for me.
However, this climate and the people, the places, and events here suit us well.
Along with the ocean and fun along its shores.
I was surprised with the poll. So many living in places they dislike.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 PM

304 posts, read 617,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Love where you live, or work hard to get there. I'm guessing it would be really difficult to spend time in a place you really hate, or dislike. Although I was almost feeling that way for awhile. I really still love being closer to family then I am. The only downside for me.
However, this climate and the people, the places, and events here suit us well.
Along with the ocean and fun along its shores.
I was surprised with the poll. So many living in places they dislike.
Me, too. Then again, it's a moving forum, so I guess that makes sense. But I don't feel so alone now.

I guess it's family that makes people stay. Or they are making good money and don't want to leave. For me, I don't have the money to pay market rent somewhere else (I have a sweet deal right now, even though I hate this city). I figure rent in any city with jobs nearby is going to be at least $700 a month.
MONEY MATTERS IN LIFE - IT BUYS YOU CHOICES IN LIFE.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM

553 posts, read 479,835 times
Currently in Kansas City, MO atm and the kids and I can't wait to get out. Anything and everything that could possibly go wrong has pretty much gone wrong in this place. I mean, we've had runs of bad luck before but in this place it seems never-ending and one right after another. Lost jobs, car accidents, friends being killed, various cars breaking down and being unfixable at a reasonable price range. Creepy a#$ bugs that I have never seen elsewhere that invade our home. Dogs can't seem to stop being infested with fleas here no matter what we do.. giving them bad skin conditions and making them and us miserable.

I've always believed that any place could be tolerable as long as you don't let it get you down but this place has rubbed it's way under my last nerve and I can't wait to wave good bye to it in my rearview mirror. Only thing stopping us atm is lack of enough funding to up and move.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM

441 posts, read 886,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison_Ivy View Post
Currently in Kansas City, MO atm and the kids and I can't wait to get out. Anything and everything that could possibly go wrong has pretty much gone wrong in this place. I mean, we've had runs of bad luck before but in this place it seems never-ending and one right after another. Lost jobs, car accidents, friends being killed, various cars breaking down and being unfixable at a reasonable price range. Creepy a#$ bugs that I have never seen elsewhere that invade our home. Dogs can't seem to stop being infested with fleas here no matter what we do.. giving them bad skin conditions and making them and us miserable.

I've always believed that any place could be tolerable as long as you don't let it get you down but this place has rubbed it's way under my last nerve and I can't wait to wave good bye to it in my rearview mirror. Only thing stopping us atm is lack of enough funding to up and move.
If only we could switch .

Hopefully you find somewhere awesome

Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 PM

553 posts, read 479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
If only we could switch .

Hopefully you find somewhere awesome

Never been to Atlanta, though I've known a few people who loved it.

I can honestly say that I will probably never live this side of the states again. I have discovered I truly am a PNW girl at heart and I can't wait to get back to that area again. Kids and I are hoping and praying we can head to Washington/Oregon here within the month. Unfortunately we don't have that awesome savings that most posters on here recommend having before picking up and moving. I had hoped to have much more than I do atm, but things did not work out. (once again a predictable things going wrong in Missouri for us kinda thing lol)

Am having a personal struggle within myself as to whether to just strike out and hope for the best or forget it another year. The kids would truly freak if I did that though because they want this move even more than I do this time.

Just lost at the moment as to what to do..

Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
My choice might not make sense to people. I live in a city so many people are dying to move to.

I'm born and raised and just over it already. The only thing keeping me here right now is my family, but even most of them want to move elsewhere.

I can't take this city anymore, it feels claustrophobic. The COL is getting out of hand, I'm waiting to be priced out of my neighborhood at this point. The current influx of transplants here are the rudest and most obnoxious I have ever seen. I know NYC has a reputation for being rude, but these new people who try to call themselves "New Yorkers" take the cake and think they are going to be rude by default.

For all it's appeal I just feel like my life force is being drained every month I stay here. The long commute, the long working hours, the general apathy and rudeness of neighbors, I can't stand it anymore. I know quite a few people who left and don't regret it, and I hope to be one of them.

Now if only I could narrow down which city to move to, I could move forward.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I'm somewhat conflicted about where I live (the Bay Area), and often say we have a "love/hate relationship." I grew up around here, so it's home to me and the majority of my friends and immediate family. The weather and scenery are fabulous, we have tons of entertainment/dining options, I love being near the ocean, the people are diverse and generally friendly, and (although it's not as great right now) career opportunities & salaries are excellent.

On the down side, the COL is outrageous, traffic can be a nightmare, and I'm sick of struggling just to get by... even on a decent salary, I can barely swing a 1br apartment. So I do often dream of escaping somewhere less expensive and more peaceful - actually already did that for about 7 years, before returning to be near my family. I dream of returning to either Oregon or the Tahoe area, maybe even farther north to Washington or Alaska. Hopefully one day!!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM

398 posts, read 698,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
My choice might not make sense to people. I live in a city so many people are dying to move to.

I'm born and raised and just over it already. The only thing keeping me here right now is my family, but even most of them want to move elsewhere.

Now if only I could narrow down which city to move to, I could move forward.
Nah your choice makes perfect sense to me. I left NY (for the last time, I swear!) 6 months ago, and while I'm not thrilled with where I am now, I will not look back. I grew up in a less transplanty area than you did so can't complain about that but had the opposite and no less annoying problem of good-neighborhood-become-bad. Anyway, now I drive 15 mins to work in minimal traffic, as opposed to 1.5-2 hours on subway trains and it feels goood. Nobody begging me for cash on the way or throwing things at me either - amazing! Join us on the other side of America!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I have moved several times by myself, with what I thought were plans and reasons.
I have plopped back to the Boston area with each "failure." Finally figured out that there's something about New England that I seem to need. Maybe it's the intellectual environment, the history (love driving past Walden Pond on my way to work!), the different kinds of people where I work and in the general area.
I moved outside the city when I figured out that I wasn't going to find a dream job/career, was likely to keep doing what I was doing, and if I kept doing that, I should do it in this one particular place where I am in the pension plan, and could move out of the city because I didn't need anything from it- not going back to school, not looking for a job. Most of my friends had left the area for growing-up reasons and the life I'd enjoyed just wasn't there. I realized I wanted trees outside and dogs more than restaurants with no one to go with, so I've been outside the city for 18 years (!) now. Had to rebuild my crumbling cottage so have to really work in a serious way (before, I had the cheap crumbler and a modest place in Colorado with a vague plan/hope to spend summers out there).
I still can't stand the summers here- too sticky- and daydream of mountains and horses, which is what I do for vacation. I love my house, trees, modest/decent town neighborhood, and my dogs.
I do take a great deal of what I need from my environment, because I always lived alone and have a sense of being isolated. The physical environment matters, the intellectual environment, I like being in a secular area, and so on.
I do look much forward to retirement and hope to be able to maybe live in a Western town for a year as an experiment (and volunteer at the animal shelter) or just try different ways of life. Of course, health and finances could mean that I don't do that, and I wouldn't want to burn the bridge of the life I've finally set up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues