Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like, love, hate, or could care less where you live? Want to stay or go?
Like it, but sometimes I daydream about other places... 69 31.80%
Love it, I'll never ever leave! 27 12.44%
Hate it, I can't wait to get out of here! 120 55.30%
Could care less any place works for me. 4 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times

Advertisements

Currently in Charlotte, NC which is my hometown. Charlotte reeks!!!! Period. Dunno if it reeks because I've been here my whole life or what..but all of thats about to change. Soon as house sells moving out west...Looking at PHoenix, Los Angeles, or San Diego...At 40 yrs old...call it a midlife crisis or whatever but this girlie is out of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,925 times
Right now I really like where I live (Boston), however, I am about to experience my first winter here, so my opinion of this city could change drastically.

Stay tuned.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
None of the above. If life was the way it was back then, I'd want to be in metro LA. Since it's not, I'd rather be in Atlanta. I'd rather live in America's southern tier, where it's always warm.

The only cold place I could live is Montreal.

I either click with a place, or I don't.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but 153 posts take a while. I wouldn't have bothered to post just to say I really like where I live except that I live in the greater Los Angeles area, which a lot of people love to bash. Let me admit the major downside first: Traffic. But many, many cities have very, very bad traffic also. I've experienced it first-hand in St. Louis, Missouri; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Atlanta, Georgia; and Washington, D.C.

Cost of living is high here, but not nearly as high as a lot of people imagine. There are safe, clean neighborhoods other than the chi-chi ones with their extremely high real estate values.

So, what do I like so much, other than the weather? Art house cinemas for the many foreign films, world class art museums, the Los Angeles Master Chorale and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the world's most acoustically perfect concert hall (Disney), a variety of other attractions (Battleship USS Iowa just opened to the public a few months ago), the mountains nearby with their views of snow in the winter from down on the flats where it never snows, and the many genuine ethnic restaurants (a lot of which are quite reasonable).

I am aware that the cultural advantages of places like New York City, Chicago, and D.C. are probably about equal to ours, but their weather is not. Color me happy here, with absolutely no desire to move.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I live in Idaho and I am very happy living here, and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
While I do not mind living in Alaska, I think it is time for me to move somewhere else. When I left Alaska the first time in 1976 I had no plans to move back. When I moved back to Alaska in 1983 it was not on my own terms. Thus I had no plans to stick around. Unfortunatly I got trapped in a job that paid just enough (and had excellent job security) to keep me from being willing to take a chance on starting over elsewhere. I now have a job that allows me to live pretty much anywhere in the U.S. so one of these days I just might move on a whim.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
JFJ

84 posts, read 200,331 times
Love it! We just moved from Augusta, GA to San Diego, we don't plan on leaving...ever! We met in Northern Italy, my job took us to GA after 5 years there finally escaped to the west coast!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
There isn't a choice for me.

I really like where I live, about 8 months of the year. (basically when it isn't crazy cold) I like the city itself, i love my house, etc. But I am miserable in winter...and really anymore also in fall because winter is coming. I am moving out of my city for someplace warmer.

So, I need a choice like "I like it, and I'll miss it, but I am moving anyway"

Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 PM

195 posts, read 420,980 times
I just like the place I'm at now. I don't hate it (although it is very popular to hate it), and I certainly don't love it either. But I think maybe a year and a half isn't enough time to figure out if this is the right place for me or not.

I agree with the poster above me, but mine would be "I like it, I'll miss it when I leave, but I'm going to be looking for another place in a few years."

Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Inferno View Post
I just like the place I'm at now. I don't hate it (although it is very popular to hate it), and I certainly don't love it either. But I think maybe a year and a half isn't enough time to figure out if this is the right place for me or not.

I agree with the poster above me, but mine would be "I like it, I'll miss it when I leave, but I'm going to be looking for another place in a few years."
I thought Santa Fe was supposed to be one of those places people wanted to move to. I don't think I'd resonate with it personally either though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues