Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I'm curious if you have a filter or you're really lucky where you live. I don't mean to sound rude (I really hope not) but it seems to me, that a lot of the social behaviors the OP is referring to, would be everywhere. Well, maybe the big cities for sure.

I, too, have noticed the same things and long to be away from the big city of Dallas. When you break it down and look at individuals, you sometimes have hope. But as a group of millions of people, I can't stand any of them. The nonsense in traffic, the busy stores, the ME, ME, ME everywhere you go...

I don't have a filter, so to speak, and it's hard for me to block out the chaos and rudeness...the feeling that things aren't really getting better. I have a lot of anxiety, in fact, and hope one day, I can do as SCGranny has done and move to nowhere with like minded people!
the thing that stood out was poor public education. i realize it is bad in some places from what i've heard and read, but everywhere i've lived has had excellent public schools. and people are generally fairly friendly from my experience, but that could be an individual thing as well. the OP sounds like a rather negative individual which may have an effect on how others interact with him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
the thing that stood out was poor public education. i realize it is bad in some places from what i've heard and read, but everywhere i've lived has had excellent public schools. and people are generally fairly friendly from my experience, but that could be an individual thing as well. the OP sounds like a rather negative individual which may have an effect on how others interact with him/her.
I can see that good schools would really make a difference in attitudes. I have family in Bellevue, WA, for example, and I know they have top notch schools. I would tend to say that the people I know there (although it's limited) are relatively happy with where they live and how things are going. I realize that is sort of narrow but it does illustrate your point somewhat.

And I also agree that it's all in the attitude but I'm not sure I can say that the OP is a negative person. And I say that because I, too, want these same things to improve. And really, when you're in the thick of Dallas traffic (for me, I realize), I have a very difficult time remembering all the good that people have to offer. When you get shoved in the grocery store b/c people either aren't aware or they don't care, it's hard to remember. I used to laugh at the older generation who said times were so different than when they grew up, but found myself saying the same thing when I was in my 20's, like the OP.

I think with the technological advances that some of us love, comes a dose of not so good. In a place that is frought with negativity, I come out fighting for positivity...I hope I'm expressing that my attitude is sometime's dictated by my environment, no matter how hard I try to see the light. I thought this was what the OP might have also stated...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I'd never move out of the United States. I'm too red-white-and-blue for that. If I see problems here, then I want to be here to do what I can to fix them. That's just the way I am.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
We have discussed living in other countries. Some of my friends are enamored of Belize, and we have talked about Ireland (both of our families are from County Cork).

But honestly, I have been involved in politics and media plus owned my own businesses in this country, and quite frankly I have seen the problems and their root causes up close and personally. It was for that reason that we spent three years looking online for a place to move to where we could have everything we wanted and live around people who were like-minded... frugal, educated, intelligent, and self-aware. We sold out, packed up, and moved 1700 miles - to very rural Nebraska. We simply could not find anything out-of-country that was both affordable and where we could do what we wanted with minimal government interference. When my friends bragged about Belize, that the food was cheap and available, that you could get servants for $.50 a day and live in lush surroundings, they ignored the guerillas across the mountains who were looting and kidnapping and killing. They ignored the fact that they would have to learn another language to even get decent medical care; that they would be 'rich gringos' who would be perfect victims of any revolt.

While the US may suffer a revolt (just as the Greeks are today) when the entitlements are taken away, we are far enough from the madding crowd to not even notice. Out of the way, off of the beaten path, we can do as we please, how we please, and where we please... plus we retain our citizenship and understand the laws and language. We are nobodies in a flyover state; sneered at, laughed at, and called rednecks by the rest of the country, when they bother to think about us at all - and that is just how we like it. Move along, nothing to see here, drive right on by, fly right over - 'there's no THERE, here'. Really.
One of the most interesting and thought-provoking posts, to me, that I've seen on all C-D. Bravo!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM

428 posts, read 486,965 times
Sure, I've thought about hightailing and my family and I out of the US. But then what happens when the "perfect" country shifts its ideals and isn't so perfect anymore? Am I just going to keep uprooting my family? No, I make the best of what I have here in the US and be an activist for the ideals I hold high.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:25 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I have a lot of the same concerns the OP mentioned. I don't see myself ever leaving the United States for good though. I wish more people cared about government and paid attention to what's happening around them. Seems everyone is so busy posting on Facebook, texting, etc. that the average Joe doesn't even know who is running for President.

For everything that's wrong here, I could easily name dozens of places where it is so much worse. I feel thankful for the freedoms I have and that I have food to eat and a roof over my head. No place will ever be perfect!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:48 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Even though I was born and raised in MD, I'm not originally from here. My parents are originally from Burma and in some 10 years time, they might return back to their country.

The US society is certainly going down the drain. When I visited my relatives over in Burma, values actually existed. There is respect for others and a sort of friendly atmosphere. Given it's a 3rd world country, but at least people were being cooperative with each other. However, back here in the good ol' USA, there is too much hustle and bustle, "buy it now" mentality, materialism, entitlement issues and what not. The US is also behind with the world in terms of education in many things that world is laughing at us. I'm not saying that the US doesn't have any but over there, they seem to tie themselves strongly with the values taught from generation to generation.

Now before you tell me that I should leave, then yes maybe should, but not anytime soon. I should note that there are upsides to living here and that's a given. But to say the US is the best country in the world is narcissistic and blind patriotism. I can't say I love America because I don't. Many countries will laugh and continue to ridicule the country no matter what.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
I lived overseas for about 8 years and it was definitely a worthwhile experience but ultimately there came a time when I had to decide if I really wanted to assimilate into this foreign culture for good and I knew I did not. While there is plenty I dislike about American culture, at the end of the day it's a whole lot easier to live someplace where you don't struggle to communicate, have family reasonably nearby, voting privileges, established credit, don't have to worry about visas, don't have to relearn all the ins and outs of the legal system, taxes, local customs, working, etc. And it's very true that every country has its good and bad aspects and you will definitely just end up exchanging one set of issues for a different one no matter where you end up.

I do think most Americans could stand to spend a little time in a foreign country, even if only a few months (at least long enough to go beyond the superficial tourist experience). Some might never want to come back, and that's ok. Others will come back with more appreciation for the US than they ever had before. I wouldn't entirely rule out retiring abroad someday, but I think I'd rather find a comfortable place to settle here and just travel often to a variety of places.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,521 times
I've often thought of moving to another country, not because I did not like the US, but because I like to explore new horizons. I liked Israel a lot when I visited during my Navy tour. I think sometimes of moving to Australia or New Zealand, or maybe some little island, like Yap. I don't like cold, though I'm curious about Austria, Scotland and Norway.

Maybe I'd even just travel around the world? There is so much to see...

Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I don't see myself leaving the US. I thought about living in Austria but I don't think I can bring myself to it. After being in the Army traveling to different countries including South Korea. It is better for me to vacation there because as far as rights and resources I believe the US is one of the best countries by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues