Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 AM

292 posts, read 1,243,989 times

Advertisements

I just took the quiz and indicated a large city with good public transportation and it gave me...Charleston, SC. Hrm. Some of the cities I've considered are further down on the list, but it also placed Augusta, Georgia, pretty high on the list, too. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for humidity than the average person.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
The towns provided for me were awful, and I think that was mostly because they do not allow you to prioritize your criteria much. Off the top of my head, I can think of 24 towns that they DIDN'T mention that I think would be a better fit for me. So, I am disappointed but at least I know what their choices are.
I used it a couple of times over more years than I can remember. I think the first time I used it was at least 8 years ago. It's fun, but my experience was like yours. Waste of time IMO because of the macro nature of the forced-rank criteria. I don't bother with it anymore. But it's fun the first time.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
It had me in San Fran and somewhere around DC. Maybe I checked off 1 wrong question? Hehe.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 86,209 times
Default find your spot

I took this quiz and I was happy with the results. The cities below are the ones I would move to after college.
Chicago
Boston
Washington DC
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Portland
Las Vegas

These are only some of the cites I got and these are the ones I like. The cities below are ones I'd never move to

Little Rock
El Paso
Worcester
Norfolk
Albequerque
Hartford

Old 05-18-2014, 08:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,652 times
older thread, but I could not resist ....

I used that site 5 years ago when my husband was told he could work from home and we were free to live anywhere (and leave Delaware).
we both took the test, my top result and my husbands second best result was Asheville and here we are now ... we moved 2 two years later after a couple of trips and are in LOVE with the city and its surroundings.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
older thread, but I could not resist ....

I used that site 5 years ago when my husband was told he could work from home and we were free to live anywhere (and leave Delaware).
we both took the test, my top result and my husbands second best result was Asheville and here we are now ... we moved 2 two years later after a couple of trips and are in LOVE with the city and its surroundings.
That's great! Asheville is pretty sweet! If I remember correctly Wisconsin was the place for me I'll have to take it again lol

Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
I've taken the quiz several times, using different answers, just to test it.

I think it's a great starting point for research! It got me looking into several towns I hadn't really considered before.

I've visited a number of towns, several that were on the quiz.

At this point, I can't say that I've visited anywhere that seemed to scream, "MOVE HERE!" But I did find several pleasant places I'll return to with an eye towards maybe retiring there if I don't stay here.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
I tried it and thought the results were horrible, to be honest. I wish City-Data had a similar tool that was more reliable.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 AM

124 posts, read 372,332 times
I tried it a while back and just logged in to see my results again. I'm surprised at how well some of the cities seem to fit into what I want. Some of them I know won't work just by looking at the sate, but others I'm hoping to visit soon so I can get a feel whether or not I would be happy living there permenantly.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
Funny - I've done it many times and always come up with similar results; either outrageously expensive places like San Bernadino California or, numerous towns in Arkansas and Louisianna. Now, I love the outdoors, moutains, lakes, ocean and warm weather BUT, hate humidity, am interested in a low cost of living and, am pretty much a Yankee liberal who can't imagine I would fit in Arkansas or Louisianna but who knows... It DID list Sant Fe which is one of my favorite towns. Maybe it's time to take it again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues