U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,796,972 times

Advertisements

I've already posted various threads and replies in relation to "wanting to move away from/never go back to", so I'll spare that.

The thing I'm getting at is if you're currently stuck somewhere you don't like for any reason, would you strand yourself in a desirable location if given the opportunity?
Case-in-point, I was taking a break at a truck stop in Albuquerque and got into a conversation with an "ex-driver" there.
Originally from the Bay Area, he had a new found appreciation for ABQ and NM in general like myself.
The thing about this particular individual was that he decided to say "---k it", park the tractor at a terminal nearby and then used saved money on a cheap motel while looking for work.
Haven't talked to this guy in awhile, but he seemed to be rather relieved he didn't have to return to the coast.

Honestly, I'm thinking of doing this same thing once the timing and budgeting is correct, same area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM

593 posts, read 1,232,027 times
I kind of did that here in San Diego, although not with a truck. After a series deaths in my family, I decided I was done with Arizona and rented a place sight-unseen, moved there and looked for a job. I kind of stranded myself there, not sure if that's what you mean!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,343,901 times
I've met people and heard stories about people who've done that up here for various reasons. Some just came on vacation and never went home again.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,796,972 times
scratchNsniff, Tigre79, that's pretty much what I have in mind right there.

Only way I would get a place there and keep on trucking is if I was kept on a route that consistently went along the 25 corridor.
However, there are too many trucking outfits that have a bad-habit of shooting you back out to places you were trying to get away from or don't want to be.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM

28,380 posts, read 61,736,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
"...once the timing and budgeting is correct..."
The timing and budgeting thing will never be right.

If it were able to be for you and for those for who it can be...
the question(s) being posed would be different.

Whatever it is that you do to earn a living...
find a way/place to do that somewhere you like then move in.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,654,959 times
If you have the money that is fine. Otherwsie its no different that taking a chance on being on the street. I'd never do that.To me that is deciding that I am incapable oi moving on a plan because I can't make such a plan.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 PM

10,595 posts, read 13,080,907 times
Default I have encountered people who have done this..

And must say it is a big undertaking, A real leap of faith and takes strong heart to make such a change. Of those i have known, Which is 3 people, They were in an unhappy situation and decided they would do everything to change that and find happiness, A place. There are some incredible stories out there and even on C-D of those who embarked on a quest like this. And completed it. Some did it with only themselves to fall back on. True grit, And bravo.

But how many more that wake up think of doing it? I think a LOT of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or