U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM

4 posts, read 14,445 times
Default Moving out of state with no car

I'm 20 years old and am planning to move from Ohio to Portland OR. I have 4 grand saved up and am planning to take a greyhound to portland and rent a room while I job search. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve on my plans? Also, would you suggest getting a car first before the move? Has anyone moved to another state without a car and get by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 AM

13,954 posts, read 8,065,978 times
Have you looked at the employment situation before deciding to move? Do you know how much it will cost to rent a room by the week? How are you moving furniture or are you just taking a back pack with your clothes? Personally I would not purchase a vehicle before the move. If it breaks down on the way it will drastically cut the amount of money you have left when you get there. Also, please don't carry cash with you, use a debit card. Good luck and many blessings.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 AM

1,224 posts, read 754,677 times
I would check and see if they have a good mass transit system, because if not, that could end very badly.If not, you will need to invest in a car before you go.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 AM
PDF

2,266 posts, read 1,458,270 times
If you are going to Portland, then you don't need a car. But are you able to wait a while longer and save up more money? Because depending on your situation, doing this with just 4 grand is going to be tough.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM

302 posts, read 257,350 times
I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I would suggest waiting until you have more money saved up. Four grand is a nice chunk of change saved up, but don't bank on finding a job at the drop of a dime. I'm not sure what kind of employment you are looking for, but even retail jobs can be hard to come by these days, and Portland is not particuarly known for being a hotbed for jobs. A good rule of thumb when moving to a place without a job is having AT LEAST six months worth of living expenses saved up. Not having a car will significantly reduce your monthly expenses, but don't underestimate how quickly your expenses can add up. Personally, I would wait until your living and employment arrangements are more stable. It could turn out great, but it sounds like a bad situation waiting to happen

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,603,664 times
You don't really need a car in Portland if you manage to find a place to live and work near the Max. Work being the key, Portland is very popular and even minimum wage jobs are hard to come by these days. If you do decide to go I would look into flights rather than spending close to 3 days on a Greyhound bus. Generally you can get a flight on Southwest with 2 free bags for about the same price as a bus ticket.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,738,402 times
OP, do you know anyone in Portland? If so, would they be willing to let you stay with them?

Also, what are you doing with your belongings?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,109,240 times
Instead of a move you should consider it a visit. Go and check it out and if things look great then stay. If not go back and regroup. Of course that's if you have the option of returning. At age 20 and free maybe a consideration of the Air Force or Navy is appropriate if your not going to school. Travel the world..

Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,445 times
Thanks for all the advice. I would be renting a room off craigslist. I'll probably wait until I have another grand saved.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,697,182 times
Have you thought about getting a job lined up before getting moved out to Portland?
I've had Albuquerque in my sights for quite awhile and have actually inquired about jobs related to security guard and distribution center work.

There might not be as many jobs in Portland proper, but there are plenty of suburbs along the MAX line that roll through some industrial areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues