U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,798,709 times

Advertisements

After making my mind up about where I finally want to move and get a place to call my own, I started going over money obviously.
Working security and paying the way of others is obviously hindering any chance of getting these ridiculous amounts of "standby money" saved up.
Many here have said to have at least 6-12 months of money saved up to get you by while looking for work after moving.
After realizing with my current job it would probably take a few years, I'm no longer on the optimistic side of that sort of thing happening any time soon.
Another obvious suggestion was to get back into long-haul truck driving like I was doing.
Money could be made and saved in a shorter amount of time, but the nature of many long-haul jobs defeats the purpose of moving away to begin with.
I currently live in the CA desert region and intend to never come to this state on a regular basis.
Due to the nature of long-haul freight-hauling, most freight is frequently delivered to any given part of this state daily.
That right there alone makes that option a bad one as far as I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Why are you paying the way of others?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why are you paying the way of others?
I don't want to go over it again, but it's actually my mom who can't work due to various reasons.
My stepdad and a few others have pressured me to get back into truck driving in order to try and break this.
But like I was saying in the first post, that particular job always takes me right back here to CA.
Some would say to completely not announce my arrival and just come/go.
But due to logbook regulations and traffic constraints, sometimes you're forced to stop where you don't want to.

At this point, I just want to get enough money saved up to cover a month or two and then see how everything flies from there.
The rest of these posters talking about how $4000-$6000 saved isn't enough to move with are most likely happy where they're already at.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I don't want to go over it again, but it's actually my mom who can't work due to various reasons.
My stepdad and a few others have pressured me to get back into truck driving in order to try and break this.
But like I was saying in the first post, that particular job always takes me right back here to CA.
Some would say to completely not announce my arrival and just come/go.
But due to logbook regulations and traffic constraints, sometimes you're forced to stop where you don't want to.

At this point, I just want to get enough money saved up to cover a month or two and then see how everything flies from there.
The rest of these posters talking about how $4000-$6000 saved isn't enough to move with are most likely happy where they're already at.

I understand about the trucking industry completely since I own my own truck. As far as mom goes, there is social security, disability and maybe your step father who should be taking care of your mother financially.

Instead of doing regional why not OTR, coast to coast, get your money saved, find a spot, get off the road, get a job in security again if that is what you want, live your life.

Honestly none of my business and I do not know your entire situation and I don't want to offend you at all. Just a few thoughts of mine and maybe something for you to consider.

Whatever you choose I wish you much success and many blessings.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I understand about the trucking industry completely since I own my own truck. As far as mom goes, there is social security, disability and maybe your step father who should be taking care of your mother financially.

Instead of doing regional why not OTR, coast to coast, get your money saved, find a spot, get off the road, get a job in security again if that is what you want, live your life.

Honestly none of my business and I do not know your entire situation and I don't want to offend you at all. Just a few thoughts of mine and maybe something for you to consider.

Whatever you choose I wish you much success and many blessings.
I already drove OTR a few years ago and I've found since the last company I was with, I'd rather stick to the four-corners states.
Outside of that area, the Southeastern US is alright to drive a truck through, but I've become somewhat limited as far as wanting to go to or have any feelings for the rest of the country.
If I do stick to driving, I'd much rather do a local or regional gig that keeps me planted strictly within those areas.
This way, I at least get to my new place more often and can finally move forward with life.
As far as my mom and stepdad go, they haven't really seen eye-to-eye with each other since they were together.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 AM

818 posts, read 1,946,706 times
There's some good money to be made for truck drivers in the oil fields of ND. They might still be hiring in TX too. If you could do that for a while, you might be able to save some cash quicker. The down side is that in ND it's really tough to find a place to live, but some of the companies have man camps. They have several threads about it on the ND forum here.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 AM

5,037 posts, read 7,722,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Money could be made and saved in a shorter amount of time, but the nature of many long-haul jobs defeats the purpose of moving away to begin with.
I guess I'm not understanding something. If the purpose is to save money for a move, how is working towards that goal defeating the purpose?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I guess I'm not understanding something. If the purpose is to save money for a move, how is working towards that goal defeating the purpose?
Because the method involves repeatedly having to go back and forth into some place I don't want to be anymore.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Many here have said to have at least 6-12 months of money saved up to get you by while looking for work after moving.
After realizing with my current job it would probably take a few years, I'm no longer on the optimistic side of that sort of thing happening any time soon.

If I waited until I had 6-12 months of money saved up I would still be living with my parents. That is such a fallacy. Your better off looking for work before you move anywhere instead of saving money and then moving in the hopes of finding a job.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post

If I waited until I had 6-12 months of money saved up I would still be living with my parents. That is such a fallacy. Your better off looking for work before you move anywhere instead of saving money and then moving in the hopes of finding a job.
This is exactly what I'm doing right now.
Only problem is that I basically "job-hopped" 2 times since getting fired from a job I liked back in November.
I'm back with a somewhat stable company right now, but I'll probably have to stick with this for the next 5-6 months before I feel I'm good to be hired elsewhere.
My only other option right now would be to jump back into full-time over-the-road driving with one of the companies I left.
But seeing how I got frustrated with it so quickly, so much for that.

In the meantime, I'm still putting in apps for companies in my desired cities, and also just putting away enough money for 1-2 months rent/etc.,
A longshot, but a shot nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues