U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,640 times
Question Moving from North Carolina to Los Angeles, CA

So, I am going to be moving to the big LA in a few months. I have heard its cheaper using a pod and traveling across country by car, but someone said on the internet that your car would get worn by doing that. I am getting a new car before I move. But I have seen you can ship it to the destination and fly and use the pod. But I want others opinions and their experiences.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,312,288 times
Default Ship, Fly, then New Car

If you can ship your "stuff" by Pods or Upack, and want a new car, do what I did. Shipped stuff by http://www.upack.com/ , sold old car to neighbor, flew 2000 miles to new city, bought new car there.

The last thing I wanted to do was drive 2000 miles. I would have been asleep at the wheel after 100 miles

BTW, my Upack with ReloCube experience was excellent

Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM

499 posts, read 1,828,725 times
May is known as National Moving Month because it's the start of the peak moving season. Based on the projected increases in new business volume combined with the loss of driver and equipment capacity, it promises to be an extremely busy summer.

The closer you get to your move date without making a decision, the fewer choices you'll have. The recent spike in fuel prices will also make it much more expensive.

You need to prioritize your moving plans based on your own personal objectives of what's the most important to you.

For instance, are mobile portable containers allowed to be placed in front of your homes at both origin and destination? This cost of transporting your new car is going run about $1400 - $2000, depending on the size and profile of the vehicle. A plane ticket will cost another $450 - $850.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 AM

3,213 posts, read 5,081,171 times
My car has a 4 cyl., 1.8 L, clutch transmission engine and had 177,000 miles at the time of the cross-country move. I hauled four people and approximately 400 lbs. of materials.

No problems. Just sell all the crap you don't need and carry the essentials and most sentimental things in your car. Got a hitch? Determine which grade it is and its weight-carrying capability, get a small trailer (w/ or w/o wheels) and load it up. You probably want to unload the trailer at night when you park; I did, and carried that which was on my trailer in suitcases to make it easy.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
Pods are expensive. Cheaper to put the stuff in an unfilled truck. Find a broker who sells excess space in moving trucks.

If you buy a car then drive it to CA, you will pay a huge amount to register it in CA. Thousands. They assume that you bought the car out of state to avoid sale tax and charge the equivalent of sales tax.

Better to fly out then buy your car.

Be sure to insure your stuff if it has any value. Moving trucks get robbed quite often.

Obviously driving will put some miles and wear on your car. They are not particularly hard miles and 3000 or so miles is not that significant. However, if it is just one person, it is cheaper to fly.

If you do dirve, take a few extra days and take this opportunity to see the country. Stop at Mammoth Caves, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyons, Las Vegas, Vail, wherever interests you. You may not get another chance to do all of those things.

Almost any car can make the trip. Just as any car can have major problems on a long trip.

My son recenlty bought a 1994 Thunderbird from his cusin for $500 and drove it back from Texas to Michigan by way of tennessee. No problems. If a $500 car can make it without problems a newer car certainly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues