U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,805,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd be fine with being landlocked, but not somewhere where it is routinely in the triple digits in the summer, no matter how dry!
I am glad people favor the ocean- more space in the middle for the rest of us.
An upside to the ocean/coast I should've realized a long, time ago.
However, the only other reason I see any need to move to/or near the coast is if I was involved in a maritime trade.
But last I checked, I still don't know anything beyond common knowledge of marine-propulsion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM

841 posts, read 1,658,372 times
Parts of New England are romanticized. People think quaint covered bridges, cocoa in the ski lodge, horses in pastures.

Yankee Magazine stuff.

Behind that you have HIGH unemployment, very insular people, drug problems, and a general beaten down feeling.

Parts of New England like Boston are busy and vibrant but as you go west you do find it getting harder and harder to make a living, to survive.

Upstate NY--how can anyone romanticize places like ALBANY and Pougkeepsie? Ugh.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,736,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Romanticized? That has to be Portland OR. People watch "Portlandia" and believe it reflects the entire city. They see all kinds of glowing stories in the media. Then they post on the CD Portland forum stating they want to move to Portland but are looking for the rents they are paying in their present less desirable cities of $600 a month for a two bedroom apartment. They cannot believe that a studio can run $1000. And with a 3% vacancy rate, finding a place to live is not easy.

They will need a job. Well, unless they are in a high tech type business forget about it. If they are lucky enough to get a job at all they will be paid less than the pay for the same job in other places. And the COL is much higher than they expected.

And they thought they could handle the rain and overcast skies.

But they visited Portland once and thought it was great. Just like people here have posted about Hawaii and other cities; nice place to visit. Very difficult to live there.

I have seen so many come to Portland with their high idealistic hopes only to have reality set in that it's expensive and getting to be overcrowded. They go back home quietly after about a year.

Oregon is a beautiful state but living here is a challenge. It is not the easy life so many envision. It is not for everyone.

Anyone thinking about relocating to another city should go there and spend at least two weeks ideally a few times before making a move. They should try to observe every day life outside of the tourist features of the town or city. They should see for themsleves what life is like rather than just going with the stories they hear in the media.

Most of all, when relocating, they have to ask themselves, "Is this really for me?" Then they should add up the positives and negatives they have seen to determine if the new place is a good fit for them.
This is funny. Sounds like people who (still) romanticize NYC..its usually people who went for a week vacation and basically shop in midtown, and think "Real Housewives of NYC" is a realistic show.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM

7,673 posts, read 8,968,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
If you ever lived in Miami for a spell, you may be cured of romanticizing it, lol. And Miami proper can be as expensive as NYC to live.

Does anyone romanticize Vegas, or the desert as a place to live?
Vegas was pitched as the Promised Land when I graduated from college in 2005. It doesn't seem like it is so much now.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Interesting, the housing bubble was still good at that time, 2005. Florida was in there as well.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,996,235 times
Hawaii is romanticized so the reality of staying there for extended periods of time, or moving there without doing research can be a big culture shock, and shock on the wallet, too!

Some of the outlying islands are a bit dreamy if one can afford it, but the busiest island, the tourist trap, Oahu is so cemented and paved that you can be staring at the horizon one moment, turn around and be staring at scenes that could be any city.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,724,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Some of the outlying islands are a bit dreamy if one can afford it, but the busiest island, the tourist trap, Oahu is so cemented and paved that you can be staring at the horizon one moment, turn around and be staring at scenes that could be any city.
That's really sad but doesn't surprise me.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 PM

7,673 posts, read 8,968,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
To me, the list of romanticized CITIES are:
- San Diego
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Portland
- Seattle
- Miami
- NY
- Boston

Those are the ones people coo about.
Some never carry through with their plan to move,
some get there and stay and complain,
some get there and stay and like it, and
some get there and "go home"
In Wyoming people coo about Denver and about Colorado in general. I get so tired of hearing about those places. Colorado is nice but I'll take my much less crowded state.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Hawaii is romanticized so the reality of staying there for extended periods of time, or moving there without doing research can be a big culture shock, and shock on the wallet, too!

North beach on Oahu is still just beaches and pineapple farms...

You must mean Honolulu.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM

841 posts, read 1,658,372 times
Quote:

Once I started watching that Dog the Bounty Hunter show it cured me from any romanticized views I had about Hawaii!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues