Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Romanticized locales remind me of romanticized relationships.....most are just mental fantasylands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Very true but it is all relative. Some places are not only expensive but property taxes outrageous. In NJ, we were paying almost $14k on a house that was assessed under $300k. And on top of that, we got to pay state income tax and NY tax because hubby worked in the city. Oh joy!! Then when we sold the house, we even got shafted by our Township on the final certificate of occupancy costing us around $3k as a parting gift. Home ownership in NJ left me with a bitter taste although we did okay in the long run so there is a silver lining.

Even with the higher property taxes in Texas, we will come out far ahead...assuming that we don't buy something astronomically expensive which we won't. But I do agree with you. Property taxes can be higher than expected here and you have to take that into consideration.

Oh, and things are cheaper here in Texas but probably not the bargain basement prices some would imagine. I had to adjust my expectation somewhat after our move.
So true! I have family that live in NJ and a friend that lives on Long Island. The taxes they pay are outrageous so any place else would be a break. My cousin had to take a job transfer from PA to NJ a few years back. Her house in PA was amazing and her home in NJ is just so so. She said it was a tough adjustment, she simply can't afford as much as she did in PA.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I guess I'm still waiting for the "Florida sux" shoe to drop. I moved here over two years ago, and still think it is a major improvement over where I came from--Savannah, GA. If I had a nickel every time someone asks me "Why would you leave that beautiful, historic city for this place?" I would be rich enough to afford Naples.

Fact is, Savannah is another of these places that everyone romanticizes from brief visits, occasional TV shows, or "that book". It's mired in crime, and has inept and frequently corrupt local government. Savannah has been doing a pretty good job of keeping the crime (and the criminals) out of the touristy areas, but it all creeps in eventually, especially when tourists are such easy targets. There was usually at least one story about a murder or an armed robbery (or both) on the evening news every night, along with the police chief doing the "We don't have a crime problem/nothing to see here" dance with reporters once a month or so. I had friends get attacked in their own homes, get shot at on the street, get beaten up...the longer I lived there, the more I just assumed this was how life was, so it has been a pleasant adjustment since the move. I can walk the dog at night without worrying for my safety. I can stop at traffic lights and not worry that I might be car-jacked in broad daylight. I can leave my patio furniture out on the porch without chaining it all down. If I see a teenager standing on the corner, he's more likely waiting to cross the street than trying to sell drugs. Maybe I was just really lucky to find a part of Florida that is pleasant, but I'll keep pushing my luck as long as I can.
I love Florida. The reason I couldn't stay was the job market but otherwise, loved it loved it loved it.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I do love this thread because I have always been interested in how far your money stretches from one place to another, especially those places that are considered ideal. I work from home for a large company and in my division so does everyone else. Its been an interesting experience getting to know co-workers that live all over the country. I get to see how some places are simply nicer in the travel brochures.

One of the issues the company faced was employee relationships were not as strong as they had hoped. It is true you don't build a strong bond with people when you don't see them in the flesh everyday. So the company created a social media site just like Facebook and we are required to participate. It actually comes up in yearly reviews on how much we have tried to get to know each other and how much we participate on the site. So anyway, we share like one would on Facebook. After people start positing photos of their kids, holiday dinners, etc. you start to see how they live. It becomes obvious that salaries stretch much further in some places and not so much in others.

Some live in romanticized locations and since none of us are wealthy, it is obvious certain locations are just too damn expensive. One co worker lives in NYC and not to be mean but his apartment is a dump. Its a studio and his computer is right next to the stove. He jokes he can sit at his desk and flip an egg at the same time (which is true). Another co worker lives on the coast in Oregon. The views from her front door are amazing but when she posted pics of her Thanksgiving dinner, it was obvious her rental home was in serious disrepair. Another guy lives in Atlanta, he has a McMansion. Of course other factors fall into play such as what debt someone might have or additional income from a spouse but I do see a trend that those that live in specific areas don't live (material wise) as well as others. I think the co worker that lives in VT surprised me the most. She posted a picture of a big snow fall last year and her neighborhood looked somewhat seedy. Nothing how I would have imagined since all I have ever known about Vermont is glossy travel photos.

Last edited by fallingwater; 12-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I know a guy who lives in IL and wants to move to MT. Why? Because he wrote a report on MT back in 5th grade. He's 34 years old now and has never even been to the state.
He's 34 and still never been there?

Quote:
I think the co worker that lives in VT surprised me the most. She posted a picture of a big snow fall last year and her neighborhood looked somewhat seedy. Nothing how I would have imagined since all I have ever known about Vermont is glossy travel photos.
I love looking at the scenic pics of VT too, but I was floored by how expensive it is to live there given the economy is so rough. What supports the COL out there??

I love where I live now in the Puget Sound. I romanticized it, but that romanticism was not completely misplaced. It really is the perfect place to live if not for the high cost of housing here. I'll probably have to move from here in a couple of years because of the lack of what we think are affordable homes.

My husband was going on in Iceland about how great it would be to homestead there. He had 'the look' in his eyes. I like Iceland, but man, living there indefinitely? With no Costco? No trees? A population that small? Um...

Old 12-04-2013, 11:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I live in a Montana ghetto. It is three bedroom, two bath apt. No cozy fireplace. No yard. No view. No lake.
No animals, but my neighbors have pit bulls.

Ghetto. I am saving to get out.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
My husband was going on in Iceland about how great it would be to homestead there. He had 'the look' in his eyes. I like Iceland, but man, living there indefinitely? With no Costco? No trees? A population that small? Um...
I know that look!!

I lived in Germany with my husband when we first married (he's German), and it was a *completely* different experience from what I had imagined. I had been there before for a year as a student, and still. Americans are not very welcome, especially in the job market, German or no German skills. Some things you take for granted in America, like much lower taxes, lower priced gas, the freedom to drive your car in any area depending on its "greenness", permission to go to university if you want whether your school likes it or not, the freedom to ride in any part of a train, the personal enjoyment of diverse cultures, and so much more. America is apparently not so terrible after all

Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
I know that look!!

I lived in Germany with my husband when we first married (he's German), and it was a *completely* different experience from what I had imagined. I had been there before for a year as a student, and still. Americans are not very welcome, especially in the job market, German or no German skills. Some things you take for granted in America, like much lower taxes, lower priced gas, the freedom to drive your car in any area depending on its "greenness", permission to go to university if you want whether your school likes it or not, the freedom to ride in any part of a train, the personal enjoyment of diverse cultures, and so much more. America is apparently not so terrible after all
Yep, also married to a German and did three years in Germany. I didn't think it was too bad, but yes, it is very difficult to find a job there as a foreigner without any STEM skill. My husband himself is pretty pessimistic about finding work there. He thinks if the US did one good thing for him (besides me ) it was that it provides the kind of jobs for him that would be difficult to impossible to find in Germany.

I don't think either country is 'better' than the other, they just have their different pros and cons.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM

202 posts, read 310,884 times
I'm from IL and had moved to NC in the 80's for ex-husband's job. When we were down there for the interview we thought it was great, everyone waved at us as we're driving around - super friendly! When we GOT there, different story altogether. They wave at you, but won't befriend you. The women (at the time) all think you're after their husband, and as someone upthread said - the question I heard ALL the time was "You're not from here, are you?" with that look in their eye. I was a damn Yankee for sure.

It took a loooong time for me to make friends, but I eventually did. Some of the best people you'll ever meet. They even went so far as to tell me that although I was still a Yankee, I wasn't a "damn" Yankee anymore.

Culture shock for sure, at first. I totally agree with everyone who said you need to be ready to adapt.

Then, I moved to another romanticized location - Malibu. Beautiful for sure. But if you don't have the money to shop the (few) high end stores or want to go to the beach every.single.day. there isn't much else to do there. The only reason we could live there was because DH's job included free housing. It's a college "town" too, and even the students say "there's nothing to do here". It's always something, no matter WHERE you live.

Now, we are back home in IL and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
Even sunshine has its limits, I got bored with Florida rather quickly, mostly due to the humidity. But seeing the sun every single day made me wish for rain...weird? Maybe but living there for 5 years made me leave to never go back, I have some good friends there that I'd like to visit someday bu I'd go during winter.
Belgium sure isn't perfect either but I'm staying put, at least for a while. It's close to Paris, London, etc..but you need money to go there! It's not all fun and games. I've been to Paris, London...and it's darn expensive and they have problems too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues