U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

I am a 61 year old woman and my husband is 71. We are both retired. (Together we had and adopted 9 children total.) We have adopted our son's daughter and have another adopted child graduating from high school this year. Those are the only ones left at home.

We are Chicago natives. My husband retired in 1991 and we relocated to Punta Gorda, FL. We didn't like it there and decided to build a custom home in a bigger FL city and relocated to Ft. Myers. My husband couldn't stand the heat in Florida and soon wanted to leave.

After two years in FL he relocated our family with two school-aged kids to Evergreen, CO. Evergreen was beautiful, had a lot of snow, cool short summers and no nightlife. We decided to move to Littleton, CO. Life circumstances changed again, daughter graduated from college, we adopted our first of three girls from China, a year later a son graduated from high school. On a whim we bought a home in Las Vegas, NV during the boom.

I didn't care for living in Las Vegas due to crime and extremely poor health care and bad schools. We moved our family back to Highlands Ranch, CO where we've been living for the past 11 years.

Our son had a brain aneurism 3 years ago at 29. We took in his little girl who I am having a hard time letting her go.

In the past few years, the snow and winds grated on my nerves; as I was the only one shoveling it and running errands in it due to my husband's poor health.

My husband has a punctured diaphragm from a botched surgery in Denver and is only breathing on one lung, so living at elevation was hard on his body. He also had two heart attacks, is bipolar medicated and several major back surgeries. I am healthy and on no meds. My husband suggested relocating back to Florida. He had a realtor in Sarasota constantly sending us homes in our price range.

We decided to put our home in Highlands Ranch, CO on the market. It sold within a week on the market, leaving us in a hurry to find a home in Sarasota, FL.. Arriving in FL., we couldn't find a house we liked, working with a mediocre, unhelpful realtor. We also weren't feeling good about relocating back to Florida, being there. Once you live out west in a bug-less and humidity-free climate, it changes you.

My older daughter was in the process of relocating to the Dallas metro. She mentioned how the real estate market is thriving there. We decided to come check it out - as Dallas was on our way back from Florida. We ended up in Dallas (Carrollton) and are very unhappy with the limited amount of activity, culture and climate. But we aren't sure where to go from here!

1. Returning to Denver is a thought - but then we return to snow and are looping our moves. Our son also lives in a rest home here.

2. Returning to Las Vegas has its drawbacks - number one being poor doctors for my husband and myself. But the nightlife, dining and entertainment are incredible; and it's a snowless climate. We are looping again.

3. My husband says he'd move back to Chicago by family - but I don't want to endure the winters there, the family drama nor do I want to be located back in the Midwest.

Ideally, I'd like a snowless climate and living in a city with a pulse, nightlife, and things going ON! My husband goes to bed with a breathing machine each night at 8pm.

Any thoughts, advice or insights welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues