U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM

10 posts, read 38,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Truth is a bitter pill. Learn to swallow it.
I understand that what I am asking for is difficult, but that doesn't mean I can't make it happen. I created this thread for help and advice, but if you aren't going to help me move forward, then stop posting your pessimistic version of "the truth" on this thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 PM

4,910 posts, read 7,835,100 times
One of the problems I see is that most minimum wage, menial jobs such as retail, server, etc., are rarely full-time positions anymore.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM

398 posts, read 580,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
One of the problems I see is that most minimum wage, menial jobs such as retail, server, etc., are rarely full-time positions anymore.
True, up here folks tend to work numerous part-time jobs simultaneously to make ends meet. It's nothing to whine about just something they accept and do. I'm new to the area, but it seems the economy wasn't the (only) precursor to this way of life, but it certainly doesn't help. Are you willing to do this patchwork part-timing? I think anywhere you would move to, you either make sure you have a good FT job beforehand or are willing to compromise.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 7,233 times
Hi @ErinSymphony
Did you ever end up moving out west? I also live in Michigan and am looking to get out. Do you have any tips or useful information from moving? Love to hear it!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM

5,041 posts, read 5,948,549 times
Her last activity:
Last Activity: 08-07-2012 10:50 AM

Blahblah16, it used to be easier to move out. Folks living near Toledo could get jobs at Target/Kroger/Meijer and commute to them until they had enough to move to Toledo and then farther south to Columbus. These days, neither city is doing all that well, plus it's getting pricey to pay all the taxes.

I don't know your skill sets, but check into the job postings for the nearest out of state metro area. Can you get into any "training programs" in MI and get nurse aide certification or whatever and then commute or get a room in a house out of state? Would moving to the Grand Rapids area help? That seems to be one of the economic bright spots.

I feel for you! I left MI in the Mid-80s. It is one of the most beautiful states, but as a friend says, "You can't eat scenery."

Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,233 times
Meemur, Yeah Michigan is really hard to get any job! I have worked as a bank teller and I have a bunch of auto-immune stuff going on so this recent weather has been really hard on my body, so I can't do any strenuous work but it's hard to find even an office job. We live near Detroit but I used to live more towards Lansing.
My husband and I want to just get out of here, Grand Rapids does have more opportunity but we really want to get out of the city and be able to live some place sunnier with milder winters. My parents recently moved to California so I'd also like to be closer to them. I'm glad you got out of Michigan while you could! It's true, it is a beautiful state but it's like you said about the scenery. Everyone is trying to leave so we always joke, "Last one to leave Michigan, turn out the light!"

Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM

5,041 posts, read 5,948,549 times
Good luck with that! I know a ton of folks who have left CA and moved to IA or MN. The economy out here isn't "excellent," but it is much better than MI - OH - IN. That is, it's still possible to put two part-time jobs together and almost make a living wage.

But the winter in Des Moines is like Lansing! I just moved from Cols, OH and had to get warmer clothing. I don't recommend it for folks with health issues.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention there is a lot more sunshine! For example, it's -4 here right now, but deep blue skies and full sun! I lived near Detroit that winter that there was *no sun* for 19 days straight. Blah!

This is my first winter in IA and the first winter my SAD hasn't been a problem. (:

Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 PM

4,553 posts, read 7,017,545 times
Trust me, there aren't alot of "cheap" places to live anymore (especially that are warm and sunny), but I would definitely research Texas or maybe Jacksonville, FL.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM

14,525 posts, read 8,357,268 times
Anchorage, Alaska. People often forget about Alaska, but we're here. I divide my time between Alaska and Texas, and if you're a nature lover, Alaska is the place to be. There's hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, iceskating, snowmobiling, snowboarding, you name it. The cost of living can be high, but we do have a reliable bus system, and we're near the mountains and the ocean both. Being near the ocean keeps the temperatures warmer in the winter than a lot of states in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or