U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,955 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first post on the forum!

I am graduating college in May. I will only be 22 but I canno't wait to start a new life on my own. Problem is, I do not know where to live!

I have lived in Northern VA all my life and quite frankly, I am sick of it lol. Traffic sucks, drivers are awful, everyone is always in a hurry. I do love being near the city and having things to do but thats about it.

I know I should find a place that will get me a job but lets say if I can get a job anywhere, where should I go?

Things I have noticed:

1) When I visted Wyoming/South Dakota/ Midwest, I loved the atmosphere/beauty and landscape. It made me much happier seeing something nice everyday. Even the sky and clouds looked/felt different!

2) I like having things to do. Shopping, sports, concerts, bars, music, etc

3) I want a place where people aren't so damn uptight and care about every single thing! To be honest, I could care less about anything right now! Politics and religion suck!

4) I love the sun. It makes me happier. While I dont like the cold/rain/snow, its not a deal breaker. Sometimes, it makes nature better looking! (As you can see, I like having something nice to look at)

5) I am single! Maybe I can find love somewhere, cause VA relationships are awful!

Sorry if this is long but I really appreciate the help!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 PM

16,416 posts, read 26,157,155 times
Nothing makes you appreciate home more than leaving..

Anyways there's plenty to look at.. but it sounds to me like you don't like really big cities hence your complaint about traffic.. which rules out a lot of major cities. I'm going to go ahead an recommend that you look into the mid-sized cities of the midwest. One good place would be my hometown, Grand Rapids, MI. We are right on the coast, and the best place I could recommend is a little city just outside called Grand Haven, MI. It is a beach city, has all kinds of little shops and things to do. Traffic is not bad, weather is nice for the most part besides the rough winters

It is within 40 mins of Grand Rapids with is a Metropolis of over 750,000 people. It is a progressive city with a rapidly growing healthcare industry along with great people helping it out.

I don't have many bad things to say about it.

I love that city, and I'd consider moving back there to live someday.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,561,503 times
What degree are you graduating with? What kind of savings do you have? I think you need to go where you have the best opportunity with the degree you have. Also adequate savings. I have moved a lot and you will be surprised at the costly things that can happen plus move expenses.
It is important to be realistic. Do you know anyone in a different state that looks like it may fit your needs that you can go and check it out while staying with them? Have you researched things like cost of living, crime,people,jobs? This is where I would start

Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM

7,672 posts, read 8,971,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3LesPaul View Post
Hello all, first post on the forum!

I am graduating college in May. I will only be 22 but I canno't wait to start a new life on my own. Problem is, I do not know where to live!

I have lived in Northern VA all my life and quite frankly, I am sick of it lol. Traffic sucks, drivers are awful, everyone is always in a hurry. I do love being near the city and having things to do but thats about it.

I know I should find a place that will get me a job but lets say if I can get a job anywhere, where should I go?

Things I have noticed:

1) When I visted Wyoming/South Dakota/ Midwest, I loved the atmosphere/beauty and landscape. It made me much happier seeing something nice everyday. Even the sky and clouds looked/felt different!

2) I like having things to do. Shopping, sports, concerts, bars, music, etc

3) I want a place where people aren't so damn uptight and care about every single thing! To be honest, I could care less about anything right now! Politics and religion suck!

4) I love the sun. It makes me happier. While I dont like the cold/rain/snow, its not a deal breaker. Sometimes, it makes nature better looking! (As you can see, I like having something nice to look at)

5) I am single! Maybe I can find love somewhere, cause VA relationships are awful!

Sorry if this is long but I really appreciate the help!
Thank you!
1) Wyoming has great landscapes all over it. Although the areas outside the northwest part of the state around Yellowstone don't have quite the same scenery, the whole state has a rugged beauty IMHO.

2) There are bars in Wyoming and some have live music, but not much for shopping. Not much for sporting events to go to, but most towns have sports to play. There isn't much for shopping. Become an outdoorsy person and you'll have fun.

3) Wyoming is pretty much a live and let live place as far as politics and religion if you don't make a big deal out of either. However, the state is conservative and some people will give you an earful if you are too vocal.

4) There are nice areas to look at, although winter runs from about October to March, sometimes even into April and May.

5) For men, dating in Wyoming sucks. It seems that there are many more men than women in this state.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,125,882 times
For a new graduate trying to break into the real world of professional career....

... Find job, get job offer, move.

Unfortunately, with the current economy, you don't have the luxury of throwing a dart at a map and then moving. You have to find a position to get established with, get experience and THEN .. once you have a few years experience .. revisit the best place in the US to move to. I'm not joking on this.

Fifteen years ago, a college grad could pick anywhere they wanted and move there to find a job. Now, a college grad is dime a dozen, and competition is fierce. Grads literally have to go where the job is, whether they like the area or not, just to get a foot in the door.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,484,841 times
I agree that a job is the first thing. Not a forever job, just a first job. If it could be in northern VA, then it would be an easier transition to only have the change of a new job, not a new place. Remember, it's just a first job, and experience will get OP a lot further when looking for a new place that is a happier fit.
Consider taking federal civil service tests. I think you indicate what areas of the country you would like to be considered for regarding jobs. Again, it could be a first job, not forever. Best wishes.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,955 times
Thanks for the all the replies! For everyones infromation, I am a geology major, so I am pretty spread out in terms of opporunities.

And I agree, that wherever I find a job is where I should go, but I don't want to move there then hate it, then have to move again ya know? Then again, that is all part of getting older

Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM

81 posts, read 133,304 times
I love geology! way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues