U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM

2,521 posts, read 3,868,649 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving this summer from the East coast to the Midwest. I've been researching the most cost effective way to move. I would like my move to include packing supplies, truck, load, unload and maybe packing.

I received a few instant quotes from sites like Altas that gave me a quick quote of $3,010 for truck, load and unload. Then a POD would range at $1450 including storage. But when I went to the UHAUL for the truck and supplies, it would range from $800-$920. I also see where they have independent loaders on their site that have prices ranging from $100 first 2 hours to $170 plus $50 each additional hour. I expect the prices to go up with the price of gas.

Being that UHAUL is a bit cheaper, should I break up my move into getting the UHAUL, scheduling loaders at one location, scheduling loaders at another location, getting the truck back to the new location or just trying to find all in one service.

I'm moving with a SUV, dog, and 2 kids. My brother may come down if he can get off work but basically looking to take it on myself. Any suggestions? Is there a better way to go about it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM

840 posts, read 2,324,763 times
[quote=Singlelady10;23431385]I expect the prices to go up with the price of gas.
/quote]

It's also entirely possible that if you don't book or reserve now, the prices will be even higher, but not necessarily gas related, as summertime is "moving season".

That happened to us years ago. The price we were quoted in the late winter/ early spring, was no longer valid, but went up by about 50% when we scheduled the UHaul in July. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM

[quote=zoso1979;23431455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I expect the prices to go up with the price of gas.
/quote]

It's also entirely possible that if you don't book or reserve now, the prices will be even higher, but not necessarily gas related, as summertime is "moving season".

That happened to us years ago. The price we were quoted in the late winter/ early spring, was no longer valid, but went up by about 50% when we scheduled the UHaul in July. Good luck!
Thanks for that. How does booking a few months in advance work? How much is the deposit? Is it refundable?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 AM

553 posts, read 944,220 times
Especially in the summer months, and around holidays, Uhaul overbooks. We moved on a 4th of July weekend. Reserved the truck well in advance, confirmed the reservation three times in the week prior, including the night before pickup. When we went to pick up the truck, they didn't have any, all they could give us was a van.

Try to move everything needed for a family of four in a van. Took us a day and a half, three trips, and ended up costing us more than the truck would have, if we had gotten what we contracted for. When I filed a complaint with corporate, their attitude was 'oh well, things happen.'

Be VERY careful with UHaul!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 97,617 times
Check with Penske, reserve the truck now even if you date isnt available which it will be as long as you are within 6 months and just move the date if you need later or your plans change and the rate is locked in. Once you go above the 16 foot truck with Penske it will change to Diesel fuel which gets better mileage but is a little more expensive and harder to find. I would be careful using uhaul for anything other than local moves due to breaking down and maintenance issues. Penske seems to be the better of the self service moving companies. I will be using a Penske for 2000 mile trip and using the moving help service on both sides so I will let you know when I get done in a couple weeks if you would like. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM

521 posts, read 3,593,744 times
Based on the size of your family, the online price quoted by Atlas, and the fact that you're towing an SUV, I suspect your total cost for truck rental, insurance, fuel, labor, material and equipment, and lodging might be more than if you went with a full service mover.

Peak moving season normally extends from May til August. Last year many moving, truck rental and container moving services began shutting off new business in early April. Many experts expect the same this year just based on current volume.

Remember, if you hire laborers make sure that they have workman's comp and PLPD insurance. Otherwise, as their employer, you're responsible for any personal injury or property damage claims.

I recommend that you get at least three in-home estimates from local moving and storage companies. United Van Lines, Mayflower Transit, and Atlas Van Lines all operate mobile/portable container moving services. Their salespeople should be able to provide quotes as both a full service and DIY move.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM

3,715 posts, read 7,848,188 times
when we moved from WI to SC 3 yrs ago; we looked at different options as we had a home full of goods, 2 cars, and a boat. We ended up shipping my wife's car down on it's own, and rented a 26' Uhaul. I drove that, and my wife drove the suv and pulled the boat. We used loaders signed up thru Uhaul's referal site, and used a pair down here to unload. All things considered this was the least costly option for us; even after adding in a night's hotel, gas in 2 vehicles, etc.
One thing we did when requesting our truck, was i asked for one with a specific wiring harness to handle our boat trailer. Said harness was on the new version, so our truck came in with few miles and in great condition (peace of mind when driving thru the mountains in Jan). As for the workers, both sets did a nice job.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM

136 posts, read 235,175 times
What kind of suv? Maybe you could use a trailer

Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
What kind of suv? Maybe you could use a trailer
It's a Caddy SRX.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM

18,856 posts, read 28,302,927 times
I have moved a lot. Get rid of stuff. If you hire movers, go with professionals. Sometimes, you don't save that much with "do it yourself", it all depends. Moving is stressful, on kids, pets, even a positive move.

It always costs more than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues