U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM

1,003 posts, read 444,048 times
Default Make a run for it, but where?

Quick bio: born in Chicago, lived in Evergreen, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Denver CO, Las Vegas, SW FL, Milan, Italy and Dallas, TX. I'm 32, female, single, no pets, no kids, no boyfriend, some bills, living with my mom.

I was laid off last week, further adding to my Dallas nightmare. I want to make a run for it on $3,100 and plenty of credit. I'm not sure exactly where to go. I want to live in a sunny, snowless climate, fun nightlife, health conscious and educated people.

1.) Denver - I have friends back there and a few possible job leads. However, I HATE snow and cold weather. I left Denver for many reasons and aren't fond of thought of returning. But after 8 months of hell in Dallas, most places look fantastic when compared to this place.

2.) Phoenix - unsure about the job market and if it would have enough going on as far as nightlife or educated people. Love the weather.

3.) San Diego - have a friend who submitted my resume for a job paying around $40k in La Jolla. Unsure of the job market down there and if my finances or that job would even be feasible?!

Suggestions, comments or thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 PM

9,962 posts, read 13,577,850 times
Do you have a reliable car? (Most Western cities).
I know you couldn't live *in* La Jolla on $40k, but maybe somewhere accessible? I just talked to a friend who fled there with a sick husband and a good rental. She's started a pet-sitting business in San Diego and is doing very well and growing. She says how expensive everything is, but you know that. I think it is the perfect place for weather and a younger person who wants some culture and education. Best wishes.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM

1,729 posts, read 866,284 times
How about New Mexico or Tucson, Arizona or even San Antonio, Tx (I did have fun living there)... I was going to suggest Lake Havasu City, but the median age is 47.5. I don't really know anything about the cities (except San Antonio) I suggested, just a thought since you seem to like Arizona...I lived in San Diego and I did not care for it, you might end up having the same unpleasant experiences in San Diego as you did in Dallas IMO...I did love Coronado Island, Ca but more of a weekend getaway place outside of San Diego...

Best of luck to you finding your next place...Don't forget to file for unemployment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Quick bio: born in Chicago, lived in Evergreen, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Denver CO, Las Vegas, SW FL, Milan, Italy and Dallas, TX. I'm 32, female, single, no pets, no kids, no boyfriend, some bills, living with my mom.

I was laid off last week, further adding to my Dallas nightmare. I want to make a run for it on $3,100 and plenty of credit. I'm not sure exactly where to go. I want to live in a sunny, snowless climate, fun nightlife, health conscious and educated people.

1.) Denver - I have friends back there and a few possible job leads. However, I HATE snow and cold weather. I left Denver for many reasons and aren't fond of thought of returning. But after 8 months of hell in Dallas, most places look fantastic when compared to this place.

2.) Phoenix - unsure about the job market and if it would have enough going on as far as nightlife or educated people. Love the weather.

3.) San Diego - have a friend who submitted my resume for a job paying around $40k in La Jolla. Unsure of the job market down there and if my finances or that job would even be feasible?!

Suggestions, comments or thoughts appreciated.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM

18,869 posts, read 14,572,876 times
My "mantra" is follow the job. No job, I don't suggest moving. So, stay put, get together a larger stake, and apply, apply, apply for jobs where you would like to live. These days, that is probably sound advice. You can't predict the job market any longer, even for a temp job to get you by until you find something better.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Tiluha - I tried filing today & am not eligible for benefits in TX. This last company shafted me so quickly, I'm uneligible.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Yes, I have a reliable vehicle.

I have considered moving down to Austin, but honestly I want nothing to do with the entire state of Texas. I've visited San Antonio, pretty town & riverwalk, but no desire to live there. New Mexico doesn't have enough industry & have heard a lot of negative things about it.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM

1,729 posts, read 866,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts.

Tiluha - I tried filing today & am not eligible for benefits in TX. This last company shafted me so quickly, I'm uneligible.
Wow, that's too bad (sounds like something that happens in Florida on a regular basis)...now if you were laid off by your last employer and you worked for the appropriate length of time, you may be eligible in that state, however if you quit your last job you would not be eligible.

I still say take your money and run

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM

3,902 posts, read 3,346,680 times
Tucson was my first thought. The money you have will go quickly even with unemployment. Just the move alone is going to cost you probably more than you think. I agree with the person who said to get the job first. Sadly, chasing a dream costs a lot of money and it is not as simple as just choosing where you want to live anymore. You need to look at what you might earn versus the cost of living and that info is available online. And, remember that if you take advantage of friends, you can wear out a friendship pretty fast.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 PM

What part of FL do you live in?

Trust me, I want to run! I just can't decide where. I left Dallas back in January to give Las Vegas another round and the economy is still horrible out there. So, I returned here to work and save.

I ended up ending my contract assignment in corporate hell here due to harassment, but the unemployment claims doesn't care about your well-being, just that I quit. (Like I said, it's been a nightmare since I crossed state lines.)

I am nervous to run again and not find a job, but I'm not sure how much more positivity I can muster up after this debacle and continue to look for work here.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Tucson was my first thought. The money you have will go quickly even with unemployment. Just the move alone is going to cost you probably more than you think. I agree with the person who said to get the job first. Sadly, chasing a dream costs a lot of money and it is not as simple as just choosing where you want to live anymore. You need to look at what you might earn versus the cost of living and that info is available online. And, remember that if you take advantage of friends, you can wear out a friendship pretty fast.
I will check out Tuscon. I agree, money does go pretty quickly. But if I'm at least enjoying where I live, I assume other factors will fall into place. Yes,you are right about the friendship thing. But I have no intentions to stay with any friends. I don't feel comfortable doing that. But having solid friendships in workforce out there, will help me get on my feet sooner and is good to know I'm not all alone in another new city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues