U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,507 times

Advertisements

Hi. Sorry for the length of this post. I don't know how anonymous to
make this (or how deeply to plumb the philosophy underneath it), so
I'll keep it pretty basic at first.

I'm a disabled guy, a few years out of college with an English degree,
living with my parents. I'm doing some blah employment thing at the
moment (with one of the many disability agencies in the area) and
continuing to do some odds-&-ends freelance writing for some extra
money as well as something "practical" to do. Basically, I'm looking
to be in an apartment of my own in a warm, mid-size city (DC,
Virginia, North Carolina -- far away? a few hours maybe?). I'm
guessing I'll be able to support myself off of Social Security
(essentials), Medicaid (most of my medical needs), and the freelance
writing (not definite, not substantial, but decent for a little extra).

I'm obviously not asking for precise advice in any details. I think
I've been pretty vague so far. I mostly just want to hear general
impressions: where to start looking, how long this might take (the
shorter, the better), how to best plan it/go about it, etc. Just any
advice someone can share on this situation.

Why not just ask one of these disability agencies for help with where
to start? That hasn't worked so far; it's mostly a "What's easiest for
me" cloaked in a "What's easiest for you." I don't like the cloak,
and I don't like the thing it cloaks. I mostly just resent all the
thoughtless, reflexive stuff surrounding all of this, and I think the
Internet [cool forum... I just found it today... I've seen the site
before, but I didn't know about the forum] would be more helpful in
this case than a "real person."

So... any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM

3,604 posts, read 11,384,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by despommes48 View Post
Hi. Sorry for the length of this post. I don't know how anonymous to
make this (or how deeply to plumb the philosophy underneath it), so
I'll keep it pretty basic at first.

I'm a disabled guy, a few years out of college with an English degree,
living with my parents. I'm doing some blah employment thing at the
moment (with one of the many disability agencies in the area) and
continuing to do some odds-&-ends freelance writing for some extra
money as well as something "practical" to do. Basically, I'm looking
to be in an apartment of my own in a warm, mid-size city (DC,
Virginia, North Carolina -- far away? a few hours maybe?). I'm
guessing I'll be able to support myself off of Social Security
(essentials), Medicaid (most of my medical needs), and the freelance
writing (not definite, not substantial, but decent for a little extra).

I'm obviously not asking for precise advice in any details. I think
I've been pretty vague so far. I mostly just want to hear general
impressions: where to start looking, how long this might take (the
shorter, the better), how to best plan it/go about it, etc. Just any
advice someone can share on this situation.

Why not just ask one of these disability agencies for help with where
to start? That hasn't worked so far; it's mostly a "What's easiest for
me" cloaked in a "What's easiest for you." I don't like the cloak,
and I don't like the thing it cloaks. I mostly just resent all the
thoughtless, reflexive stuff surrounding all of this, and I think the
Internet [cool forum... I just found it today... I've seen the site
before, but I didn't know about the forum] would be more helpful in
this case than a "real person."

So... any thoughts?
A couple of questions for you. Have you ever lived on your own before? Is the nature of your disability such that you would need assistance with any everyday chores ( shopping, bill paying, transportation)? I only ask since these would be considerations on where you move to. One of the other issues you will run into is your credit worthiness. Do you have good credit? Finally, landlords want to see proof of income. You will need to either look in a price range that is less than 60% of your assistance income or be able to show that you have other steady income. Freelance writing won't be considered.

I applaud that you want to get out and be self sufficient but you need to work on a few major issues first. Most importantly to pick a place. Thats the first and most important step. For logistics and disability friendly area, I'd say DC is one of the best. Good public transportation in the Metro. I don't know if you drive or not but transportation will be a huge consideration if you don't.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
A couple of questions for you. Have you ever lived on your own before? Is the nature of your disability such that you would need assistance with any everyday chores ( shopping, bill paying, transportation)? I only ask since these would be considerations on where you move to. One of the other issues you will run into is your credit worthiness. Do you have good credit? Finally, landlords want to see proof of income. You will need to either look in a price range that is less than 60% of your assistance income or be able to show that you have other steady income. Freelance writing won't be considered.

I applaud that you want to get out and be self sufficient but you need to work on a few major issues first. Most importantly to pick a place. Thats the first and most important step. For logistics and disability friendly area, I'd say DC is one of the best. Good public transportation in the Metro. I don't know if you drive or not but transportation will be a huge consideration if you don't.
Thanks for the reply, VaCat.

Have I ever lived on my own? Well, yeah, during college I was pretty much on my own; but food, work, etc. are all pretty close by, and everything's kind of "there" for you. So I guess it kind of depends.

Would I need assistance with everyday chores? Well, in a certain capacity yeah, but I prefer to be pretty independent with making calls, deciding things, arranging things, getting from place to place, etc., so I don't think that'd be much of a liability overall.

Good credit? Hmm, no, I don't imagine I do. I have to keep assets pretty low for my SSI amount. I don't think I'll be able to build up much credit.

Proof of income? I think my Social Security earnings will be about it for this, as far as stable, reportable income is concerned. I was imagining just a terrible Section 8 apartment. But I thought my SSI would adjust based on where I lived, so I'm not sure how that'll work exactly.

Yeah, DC's an interesting place, I guess. Transportation will be a big issue, since I don't drive, although I figure being in any big city will be a lot easier than it is right now (out in the suburbs, with a rather awkward disability bus system in the county).

Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,721,621 times
Are you looking for work?

Warm mid-sized cities tend to be the toughest places to find it.

Any particular field or industry?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM

My degree is English, and the best field for me might be editing, proofreading, that sort of thing. I don't have a marketable "in" or niche (although my minor was Intl Studies, and I do enjoy various cultural enterprises and whatnot... I just can't say I'm a pro at it, or want to be a pro at it) and I know how few and far between those jobs are anyway. I worked as a writing tutor when I was in school, so I do have some educational bona fides; but I don't really love that field. I don't have a journalism background, and I don't like that servile grind anyway. I'd probably be more comfortable in an individual, finger-to-keyboard, research type of work -- more things than people -- but I won't bend over backward for a "just a job" job. I'm sorry... I just sound like more and more of a hopeless case the further I go.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 PM

3,604 posts, read 11,384,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by despommes48 View Post
My degree is English, and the best field for me might be editing, proofreading, that sort of thing. I don't have a marketable "in" or niche (although my minor was Intl Studies, and I do enjoy various cultural enterprises and whatnot... I just can't say I'm a pro at it, or want to be a pro at it) and I know how few and far between those jobs are anyway. I worked as a writing tutor when I was in school, so I do have some educational bona fides; but I don't really love that field. I don't have a journalism background, and I don't like that servile grind anyway. I'd probably be more comfortable in an individual, finger-to-keyboard, research type of work -- more things than people -- but I won't bend over backward for a "just a job" job. I'm sorry... I just sound like more and more of a hopeless case the further I go.
You may think this is from off in left field but you might do best lookng for a position in the education area to start. Once you are established in a new city, then look into pursuing what yo really want. I'd send out a few queries to universities in your target cities and see what the response is. You may need to get a bit assertive but it IS possible. I'd focus around DC, Richmond and Baltimore. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues