Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 PM

103 posts, read 381,135 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this idea So here's our situation. My husband and I (plus two young children) currently live in Cali. My husband is from Cali and the thought of leaving home permanently is quite upsetting to him. I am from the southeast and have never taken to Cali and have had about enough. Actually, it's not so much that I hate Cali, it's that being here allllll the time has me really missing my home (mostly Georgia and Fla.) So the idea has been tossed about that perhaps we could split the time fifty fifty. I think we could get his work to agree to this. As far as housing, I'm thinking we could keep our house in cali, rent it out for the six months we are gone and do the same thing in Fla. after eventuallly purchasing a home there. That way we could essentially break even (hopefully) and have a comfortable place to stay in both places.

The biggest issue is how this lifestyle might affect our kids. We plan to homeschool so that's not an issue. We would have one set of grandparents in each location, so that would be a big problem solved. I just wonder how they would handle the constant change. Would the pros outweigh the cons? We don't want to make a big mistake that hurts the kids.

I know there are lots of issues such as maintaining vehicles and car insurance in two places, setting up medical care in two places, utilities, and so on, but I would be willing to deal with all the hassles to find some sort of compromise where my husband and I could both be happy. This has really become a big issue for us.

Soooo ... what do you think? Doable, nuts, or just the biggest hassle you could ever ask for? Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I think you need to make up your mind and pick one.
You're not going to be able to rent your home out for 6 months then 6 months later give the tenant the boot and expect to find another one 6 months later. If these are vacation properties we're talking about, where there's people lined up to rent them for a week at a time, that's a different story.

You mentioned nothing about trying to make a living or finding work. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to explain to an employer every 6 months why you have to take a 6 month leave.

A 2 or 3 week extended vacation back home for you would probably keep you from making a very expensive mistake. I'd recommend going in July when it's unbearably hot and humid. You'll be yearning to go back to CA in no time.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I am sure that your children will like the idea of having to get new friends every six months. And that's what would happen. Children have to get accustomed to each other in order to be friends. Six months changes a lot while you are growing......

The chances of renting a house for only six months isn't good. You could expect to have it vacant for a least a month each time in order to get it cleaned, etc. for the next tenant.

If this has really become an issue between you and your husband, maybe one of you should grow up and look at the situation more. There's more going on than just where you happened to live.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sure, it is "doable", but takes more money than you think.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1 View Post
Hi all!
I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this idea So here's our situation. My husband and I (plus two young children) currently live in Cali. My husband is from Cali and the thought of leaving home permanently is quite upsetting to him. I am from the southeast and have never taken to Cali and have had about enough. Actually, it's not so much that I hate Cali, it's that being here allllll the time has me really missing my home (mostly Georgia and Fla.) So the idea has been tossed about that perhaps we could split the time fifty fifty. I think we could get his work to agree to this. As far as housing, I'm thinking we could keep our house in cali, rent it out for the six months we are gone and do the same thing in Fla. after eventuallly purchasing a home there. That way we could essentially break even (hopefully) and have a comfortable place to stay in both places.

The biggest issue is how this lifestyle might affect our kids. We plan to homeschool so that's not an issue. We would have one set of grandparents in each location, so that would be a big problem solved. I just wonder how they would handle the constant change. Would the pros outweigh the cons? We don't want to make a big mistake that hurts the kids.

I know there are lots of issues such as maintaining vehicles and car insurance in two places, setting up medical care in two places, utilities, and so on, but I would be willing to deal with all the hassles to find some sort of compromise where my husband and I could both be happy. This has really become a big issue for us.

Soooo ... what do you think? Doable, nuts, or just the biggest hassle you could ever ask for? Thanks a lot
I say do it

It can't hurt to give it a shot; you have grandparents in both locations to help, so that's definitely a plus.
The kids will adjust, & homeschooling is the way to go these days
They'll also actually have an advantage over the kids that are stuck in boring classrooms.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Going to be tough on your kids. Workable while they are young, but once they are teenagers forget - that's just a recipe for trouble as your kids will do anything to fit in. Not sure if your kids are into sports at all but you'd have to work around those seasons too. Sounds fun otherwise, though.

Why don't you look into the homeschooling communities in both places and see how much support you'll have? If it's not popular in one of the places you'll be living your kids will hate you for their lack of social life. I live in NC and there's a lot of homeschoolers and there are lots of activities geared towards them.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks, twingles. It's just one of several possibilities. You can see how hard we're trying to come up with something. Personally, I think it makes more sense to really base out of Florida, and look at spending roughly three months out of the year with the grandparents in Cali. Actually staying at their house with them, to simplify the housing/financial situation. We're taking a trip to Florida this summer to really get a feel for how we do there ( my husband doesn't know much about Florida at all) thanks!!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
I think you need to think in terms more like years than months. 5 years FL, 5 years CA.

Can't you just go on a FL vacation a few times a year though instead? Seems like a lot less hassle.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 PM

Food for thought, sonnenwende, thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Homeschooled kids already have social issues to begin with, then add the fact that they won't be able to meet kids or play sports to the picture and you just created 2 socially awkward kids that have no chance in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues