U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,599,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Ah, BUT, did this occur during the biggest recession since the great depression?
My cousin began college at the beginning of the recession and I packed up and left at the beginning of this year.

So yes, two thirds of this happened "during the biggest recession since the great depression."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 AM

203 posts, read 437,390 times
I have a question that no one has asked yet. Is your Jeep paid off? If so then I wouldn't think that is too crazy, but if it's not then I would be vary weary of doing such a journey. If you do just up and move and it all falls through and your Jeep is yours/paid off then at least you still have something.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 AM

16,416 posts, read 26,091,236 times
Why is it that people with this mentality insist on setting themselves up with failure? Instead of just up and leaving everything behind.... why not make some plans first. Surely an extra 5-6 months isn't going to be a matter of life or death. Why not spend some time preparing so then you can go and feel much more comfortable and a lot less stressed out.

If you have the opportunity, take the smart route and make some plans. The last thing you want is to be without a job and not even enough money to pay for gas. Also, this isn't the 70s/80s.... there are many laws against living in your car and people will not always be nice and neither will the cops.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM

167 posts, read 712,486 times
I did something like this when I was 18. Left the Toronto area in my $500 Hyundai which (remarkably) made it to Vancouver. I can't remember how much money I had but it was virtually nothing. Yeah, I slept in my car a few nights, then in a dive of a hotel, and somewhere along the line I got a basement apartment and welfare (can't remember what order they came in). Within a few months I was working two jobs and moved into a nice apartment. Never really made it big, but I was able to support myself. Foolishly I moved back "home" after I gave in to my parent's non-stop pressure to do so, and go back to school.

At 39, I'm getting ready to head back out west, this time for good. I have a reliable, late model, fully paid for minivan. I'm going to take whatever I can in my van and maybe rent a Uhaul trailer. I'm setting a target date to move (will be probably in August so I don't have to compete with college students looking for apartments at the same time). I just lined up a job where I can work from home. Not exactly super high paying, but it will allow me to pay my way and I can always get a second job somewhere, deliver pizzas or newspapers if I'm really strapped for cash.

I have planed on also starting a seasonal business after getting out west (a business that will keep me busy for a few weeks around the holidays for a nice cash infusion). But before I go, I am selling off excess belongings and working as much as possible to have at least a few months living expenses. The only part I haven't finalized is living accommodations. To fly out and check out the area first, and line up a rental apartment is a bit pricey, so I'll probably line up something online that's on a month to month basis. That way, if it doesn't live up to what it seems to be online, I am not stuck in a lease and can find something else, which will be much easier when I'm local.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,788,795 times
I already got a job lined up in a place I wouldn't mind moving to.
But the only problem for me is finding a "cheap enough" place to rest my head before money from the job starts rolling in.
Looked into some campgrounds like KOAs and such for tent camping since I don't have a car and utilizing the Greyhound.
Unfortunately, some of these places have limits on how many nights you could rent a space.

But I'm going to push it and give it a go after not too long.

I want to work, live and play in an area and stay put.
The job I left had me feeling like a transient everyday of the week.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 AM

450 posts, read 924,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKrub91 View Post
Is it possible to just pack up and move somewhere with very little money and no job/no housing when you get there? im 21 and I want to move to Arizona real bad ( I live in NY)

I was thinking of just selling almost all of my possessions load the things I want to keep in my jeep and hit the road and never look back...

Has anybody done this and gotten by ok or would this be a completely foolish thing to do
I'm in my 60's now and look back and laugh over the times in my life I have done just what you are contemplating. You are the right age to "stretch out your wings" so to speak, so do it while you are young. The years are coming in your life when you'll likely marry, have children, struggle in a career and do all of things those before you have done. Now is your golden opportunity, because you are seeing the world through "new" eyes. While you are well advised to count the cost of what you want to do, don't obsess over it. You will be amazed at how resourceful you can be and you will find a way. It's all about growth my young friend, new experiences, new friends, perhaps even that special one who is the love of your life or that special place that you just feel connected to. Even if you end up flat broke and busted in some place you can't stand, you pick yourself up and keep on moving. The worst possible thing is to wake up one day when you're old and realize what you have missed in life. As far as what you've left behind, true friends will always be friends, your parents will always love you and some things will never change. You have a destiny---go for it!!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM

Xnyer, well put! I'm about half way between you two in terms of age. So, old enough that I've started to realize what you're saying is true, but young enough (and still unencumbered by a family, career, etc) that I can still pick up and relocate across the country. When I was 18, and even 21, I saw the world in a totally different (and much more optimistic) way, and I always made things work. When I moved across the country with me, my $500 car and a few clothes, sure it was a bit rough at first. But within a year or two, I had a nicer car, a decent apartment and was having a blast. Even though I was working two jobs, I never felt burned out.

Having said that, I believe it's wise to have a job and accommodation lined up before moving. Today with the Internet, it's so much easier than when I went out west in 1991. This time, I've still decided to pack up and go, but this time I'm giving myself 6 months to get ready, tie up loose ends, make some extra cash and set up as much as possible for the new city ahead of time. If you really want to make things work, I truly believe it will happen, even in this economy. People from all over the world come to America and Canada with little money and soon become more wealthy than most people, or at least as "comfortable" as most middle class people. So, I think almost anyone can make a go of it. Worst case, take on an extra job delivering pizzas or newspapers, or some other part time job. Just don't get stuck in a rut - that's only temporary - strive for something better. Everyone has their own ideas of what "comfortable" is though.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,431,963 times
i'd rather have a real nice job waiting,
because you need money and food, or
you will be in that soup line or making
a trip to social services.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM

284 posts, read 419,226 times
Just this past January, I moved from MS to NM with $3K and no job. I hopped a train and so far, it's working out for me. If you have marketable skills and land in a town where there are temp agencies, it's feasible. I paid for an apartment six months in advance and gave myself six months to find a job. It's doable. If you want to do it. Do it. don't let anyone stop you.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i'd rather have a real nice job waiting,
because you need money and food, or
you will be in that soup line or making
a trip to social services.
True, it's always nice to play it safe. I'm not a gambler or risk taker, but sometimes if we get too worried about every possible eventuality, we'll never move out of our comfort zone. I'd rather do a bit of planning, but not over analyze things. And have a back up plan - like an emergency fund to go "back home" if things turn really nasty. Or, head over to that soup line and social services! (been there, done that, and stuck through it until things got better) Depends how much one wants to make a go of it in a new city. Anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Just this past January, I moved from MS to NM with $3K and no job. I hopped a train and so far, it's working out for me. If you have marketable skills and land in a town where there are temp agencies, it's feasible. I paid for an apartment six months in advance and gave myself six months to find a job. It's doable. If you want to do it. Do it. don't let anyone stop you.
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! You had a bit of planning, and a very modest budget, but you made it work. Better than getting up one morning and decided to split with $20 in your pocket. Not that $3000 is a lot of money, but it sounds like you used it wisely. Marketable skills help. I don't have much experience with temp agencies, but I do have a bit. I hear a lot of people use temp agencies when they move to a new city, so I might have to look into that too. And I agree, if you really want to do it, and you're committed to making it work, don't let anyone stop you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues