U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,625 times

Advertisements

I am almost 60 years old and would love to pack up and move somewhere. I would like to have money saved up and a place to live before the move. but get a job after I get there. how do you find out about the employment rate, how hard or easy it would be to find housing and so forth ahead of time. where or how do you find out this information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 PM

any advice would be very much appreciated

Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,706,468 times
Even the longest journey begins with one step.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:26 PM

what do you mean by one step?

Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 AM

137 posts, read 124,229 times
My advice is save at least 3 months of living expenses and then go. My husband and I are actually moving to FL from MI in two weeks! We went there on vacation in August for 3 weeks, fell in love with the state and bought a house while we were there! We have no jobs lined up but PLENTY of money saved up for this! Good luck and I say just go for it!!

Old 09-15-2015, 10:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,572,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollmmb56 View Post
I am almost 60 years old and would love to pack up and move somewhere. I would like to have money saved up and a place to live before the move. but get a job after I get there. how do you find out about the employment rate, how hard or easy it would be to find housing and so forth ahead of time. where or how do you find out this information

I would not at your age just pick up and move without a job. There is a lot of age discrimination out there and it may be much harder than you think to find a job.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,304,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligent woman View Post
I did it within the last six months from Ohio to Hawaii and I haven't looked back. While at work I realized how much I hated Ohio. It's flat and has farm land as far as thee I can see. That night I started gathering up the stuff I didn't need and started posting it on Ebay. Anything else, such as books and movies, which I had a lot of, got sold at a second hand store. Within a month, anything that didn't sell online I had a yard sale to get rid of the rest. I decided that I was going to drive to CA and take a flight into Hawaii. When I left Ohio all I had in my car were three suit cases of clothes, my dog and myself. I found someone to buy my car in CA and got the next flight to Hawaii. While waiting for my flight at LAX I came across a house sitting website and found someone in Hawaii that needed someone to watch her home for 6 months while she was out of the country. That allowed me time to find a job and my own place. It only took me a month to find a job in my field after I arrived. It can be done. My advise is just to use your resources wisely.
I wonder what this person did with her dog since I think there's a six month quarantine period for dogs coming into Hawaii. My guess is that if she was a real person and really did move to Ohio, she dumped the dog on the streets.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:50 AM

I have been reading alot about rv's and rv parks. do you think a person can actually live in an rv. a lot of people say its alot cheaper than renting a house or apartment. of course you would have to own one.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM

654 posts, read 1,787,095 times
I used to do it all the time. I got lots of jobs via coolworks. One was in Yellowstone Natl Park for the summer. Another the Everglades, Fl for the winter. I even got a few summer gigs in Alaska off the site. The good thing w/ most jobs on that site is that they give you employee housing and you obviously meet people via work. It's like the complete moving package b/c you get a job, place to live, and friends all in one bit.

When I was 22 I packed up all my stuff in a Nissan Sentra and took off for Phoenix, Az from Ohio. When I arrived in Phoenix I put all my stuff in a small storage unit so it wouldn't get stolen out of my car. After that I hit the local colleges looking for the boards where people needed roomates (keep in mind that this is when the internet was just starting out). After I found a place to live I got hired as a busser at TGI Fridays. Working at Fridays I met a couple of friends. Always get the job you NEED until you can find the job you WANT.

You can pull this off, but with the advantage of the internet now you will have a lot more resources. Like I mentioned earlier you might want to check out Coolworks or one of the park jobs as they are an easy ticket. You could apply to work at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, they always need help. Here is the Az link for you. Arizona Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 PM

4,015 posts, read 5,052,934 times
As a 45 yr old, married, with 2 young kids and a 6+ figure income, trust me when I say the time to satisfy your wanderlust is NOW, not when you're my age. Don't get me wrong, I love my life, love my family, but just packing up and hitting the road and a realistic or smart option in my situation. However, for some one without my type of responsibilities, I'd say F it, take a chance. You'll never know unless you try and you do t want to grow old wondering "what if"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues