U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,453,552 times

Advertisements

...to move to somewhere with no job and then get a job quickly. Sometimes a far better one than you could have got had you stayed in the same market. My husband and I both moved with our then 5 year old without jobs last year and we were working temp jobs within 10 days and my husband had two amazing FT salaried/benefited job offers within 4-5 weeks. My husband accomplished in those 4-5 weeks what he couldn't do in 2 years of trying in the old market. Totally worth it.

Do your homework, have a plan and a backup, have some money. Failure to plan is a plan for failure. But I hate reading all of these posters that act like it is absolutely impossible to move without a job. Maybe if you have a huge underwater mortgage in a severely depressed market, two car payments, a special needs child, just declared bankruptcy, sure not the greatest idea you ever cooked up to move without a job, but not everyone is in that situation or even close. Life is too short to be stuck in a place you hate that has no future for you. If you can get out, at least try to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM

841 posts, read 1,659,094 times
We've done it as well but the economy was better (2007).
It depends what you do and how well you can fit your skills into available jobs.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 73,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
...to move to somewhere with no job and then get a job quickly. Sometimes a far better one than you could have got had you stayed in the same market. My husband and I both moved with our then 5 year old without jobs last year and we were working temp jobs within 10 days and my husband had two amazing FT salaried/benefited job offers within 4-5 weeks. My husband accomplished in those 4-5 weeks what he couldn't do in 2 years of trying in the old market. Totally worth it.

Do your homework, have a plan and a backup, have some money. Failure to plan is a plan for failure. But I hate reading all of these posters that act like it is absolutely impossible to move without a job. Maybe if you have a huge underwater mortgage in a severely depressed market, two car payments, a special needs child, just declared bankruptcy, sure not the greatest idea you ever cooked up to move without a job, but not everyone is in that situation or even close. Life is too short to be stuck in a place you hate that has no future for you. If you can get out, at least try to get out.
Im thinking about doing exactly this... would like to have more money saved up to fall back on first though

Old 03-25-2012, 04:17 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,114,050 times
My husband and I moved without jobs from Georgia to Indiana and within 1 month I had a job that paid more and had better benefits with a lower cost of living. My husband had a job equal to his old one within a few days.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,453,552 times
We had a good amount of money saved in addition to credit available. Most of our move was already paid for before we left. We never needed to resort to the credit or ever got close to that point.

It wasn't easy. It took several years of research, prep work, saving. We had to live with my mother for 10 months for the final savings push. But really, the most difficult part was deciding where to move. I think we looked at and visited 4-5 cities, spent weeks into months pouring over BLS stats, CL/indeed job ads and trends, looking at housing costs, reading city/state specific boards here on this forum. As fun as it is to move to a new place, you have to be realistic. There are plenty of places I would like to move, but gee whiz, basically no jobs worth our time.

In the end, we made the decision for the general Puget Sound, as it seemed by far the easiest place to find a job in addition to being drop dead gorgeous. Our second choice was Rochester, NY. Nice city/suburbs, Lake Ontario for sailing, pretty countryside, LCOL, but the job market is a lot smaller there and we estimated it would take too long to find good work. It is something we might revisit if the economy ever improves (mostly to be within a day's drive of family), but I'd like to get in another 2-3 years here in WA first.

I'll say this:

1) Do your homework, particularly when it comes to the area labor market and COL. I can't stress this enough. You are asking for problems to move to a HCOL area with high unemployment and completely saturated market for what you do. I don't think it is impossible for this to work out, it just simply isn't an ideal thing to do. There are more fish in the sea, so to speak.

2)Make sure to save at least 3-6 months of expenses. Don't forget how expensive things like move-in costs/vehicle registration/licensing can be once you do get a good job.

3) Spend at least a few days in any place you wish to make a move to. Sometimes a place isn't always as nice in reality as it looks on paper. We did change our minds about two places after visiting. Not that they were horrible, just not right for us.

4) Do spend some time resume building. This could be going back to school, refreshing or learning new skills, getting certified, or volunteering in a relevant area. If your credit is poor, you might want to work on repairing it some before you move.

5) Start applying for jobs a few days before you leave or while you are on the road. Do not wait until you are there to get started and unless you have *a lot* of money, do not waste weeks or months in your new location without looking for work. I've seen people do this here on this forum and it doesn't often end well. Do get a cell with a local area code and local address for your resume.

6) Going back to the companies dragging feet, do definitely consider taking temp/part-time work while you wait for your good full-time position to come through. Any money you can make is good. Consider also volunteering a few hours a week in an area relevant to your career. It will help you meet new people in the area, add to your resume, and get you out of your temp housing.

7) Always try to have a way out or a back up plan for in that case that everything fails. We all hope it will never come to that, but it will give you piece of mind at least.

Most of this is just common sense, but I hope it helps someone. I got told a million times too what a dumb idea it was to move without a job, especially with a kid, etc, etc. But it was an even dumber idea to stay where my husband and I were professionally. Life is about taking calculated risks.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,743,812 times
Excellent post. The one thing you already mentioned, but I would add is spend time, maybe even a month if you are seriously considering a place, to ge a true feel for the area.

Staying in "vacation mode" and getting peoples opinions on that is too biased, you need to get an overall picture of the people and economy in an area.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,047,212 times
yea, its definitely going to seem like that when you move from a more economically depressed area to an area that is doing at least ok. my boyfriend left his ****ty job and moved in with me in a different state about 6 weeks ago. he was able to find a job even better than his previous job within 3 weeks. its not his dream job or anything, but he's much happier and it wasn't difficult. unemployment in my city isn't bad and theres a LOT more going on here than there was in his previous town. he had a safety net, though. we can afford to live on my income if necessary and he can rent out his house that he doesn't have a mortgage on. i'd be scared to make such a move without a backup plan

Old 03-27-2012, 01:22 PM

15,012 posts, read 21,673,948 times
It is great that you were able to move and find jobs, good for you. Personally I would never risk it. Both hubby and I have searched for jobs while employed and it took years to find something. I think moving without a significant savings isn't the smartest thing.

I did it when I was younger, no kids that was one thing. But now with a family, not in a million years.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,642,668 times
In this current economy, without excellent, high demand skills, I would not do it. Now, BC (before children) I moved to NYC, lived with four others in a crash pad, got a job in a few weeks as a CNA for an elderly gentleman, moved in with him, it was awesome. But it was sheer luck. Luck he wanted a live in, luck that he was rich and wonderful to work for. So, sometimes you are lucky, and sometimes not so much.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,857,037 times
Thank you! I've been arguing this a lot lately as some think it's impossible. Have a plan and some funds and it can be done. In fact, for many of us, it's the only way to do it. I've done it several times, most recently in 2009. Will be doing it again in the next year or two. If you don't have a niche career, chances are, you're not going to have any luck procuring employment prior to a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues