Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 AM

414 posts, read 1,019,679 times

Advertisements

Regretted? Not quite, but I definitely have mistakenly moved. Sometimes you just have to learn that "you can't go back" (anywhere, not just your hometown) the hard way. Still, I only have 8 weeks left and I've had a whole bunch of new experiences, so I can't say I regret it.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,548 times
I'm regretting my decision to move us back to Florida after we moved from Florida to North Georgia and lived there for four years. It has been an epic disaster since we returned to Florida in June 2010.

The high (low) lights: home invasions in our new neighborhood; change to Florida state law so that a man can legally shoot high-powered rifles 200 feet from our house; my husband's job loss (but luckily only for 6 weeks); selling that house for a $20k loss due to the gunfire noise; ending up in a high-priced rental house that we can barely afford.

We were better off in Georgia, both financially and career wise. Plus the area really did have a lot to offer in terms of recreation and a very low cost of living.

So now we are researching like mad and planning the move back to Georgia. I just can't get interested in looking at homes again in Florida. I've been looking on-line for weeks, and the prices are way high and the price of homeowner's insurance (as high as $3,000 a year in FL vs. $600 that we paid in GA) is sickening. I miss my GA trees and cool weather.

However, making any move in this economy is terrifying unless you are in a high-demand career field. Giving up a decent job is not a good idea. You may not be able to get back into your former job if you needed to return for some reason.

In short, the grass isn't always greener. Unless what you have now is just terrible, I would stay put. If you are very confident that you can secure decent employment in your field, then you could consider it, but if you move and are unable to find a decent job, you face returning to DC unemployed and low on money.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Did MovedfromFL post earlier about why they moved from Georgia to Florida again?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 PM

40 posts, read 36,676 times
I have never regretted a move and have lived all over the world. I found something to enjoy in each situation. I loved Tel Aviv, Israel and Johannesburg South Afrika a great deal and hated moving but found the new locations just as wonderful.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,347 times
Moving from San Diego area to the bible belt!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
I somewhat regret moving to Oklahoma City last summer. I have moved around my entire life and am easily adaptable. I lived in Charlotte for three years prior to this and loved it. OKC is not terrible and there are worse places (at least I try to tell myself that), but its no Charlotte and I am having a hard time finding my niche here. Plus the Great Plains are just ugly geographically speaking. Everything in this city depends on who you know because there really isn't much to do. My parents convinced me to make the move and being that I was having such a hard time finding a decent job in Charlotte I though "Why not?" In Charlotte I had a job I hated in a city I loved. Here it's the opposite in that I have a job I really like but aren't too big on the city.

I am starting to look at this as another stepping stone and am going to start saving to move again in a few years if my fortunes don't change in OKC.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,211 times
I am from Northern Virginia and was getting to a age(28) that I thought that I needed to move somewhere before I get too old. I am born and raised in Northern VA and lived a few years in central VA so I have never really been anywhere else. I work for a hotel chain as a supervisor and just hated where I was so I thought I will apply to transfer to another hotel somewhere and experience something new. I began applying for a transfer to every hotel I could find around the country. I was only applying to major city locations. Well the job that finally came up was a hotel in Miami which I interviewed well for and they offered me the job. It seemed like a great chance to break out and do something new and adventurous. I accepted the job immediately because when usually wait and think what I will be doing than I tend to back out. I did do some research on Miami and got some warning of what to look out for.

I left my last hotel not on the best of terms because I was there for less than a year but they did wish me good luck. I left my family and my girlfriend of which we are still currently together(thank goodness). I packed my car up and drove down to Miami.

3 1/2 months later:

I am currently miserable here. I have horrible home sickness. I miss my girlfriend beyond belief. I am 1000+ miles from my family and anyone I know. I know no one down here and thought it was not going to be that big of a deal but it is. I am already having regrets of coming here and it people are noticing at my job. To add to a list that is already growing: I totaled my car the first month i was here, I ruined one of my suits, my phone died, I am horribly alone, My job is not going well, made no friends(more my fault), my credit card information was stolen somehow, and did I mention I am only here for 3 1/2.

I know I am emphasizing all negatives but I just can not catch a break. Both my work and social life are horrible. I am doing the move where you go on facebook and see everyone is doing great and it makes you feel terrible. This post is all that I have done today on my Saturday.

I am just not able to fit in down here and now at work I can tell people are beginning to notice my concerns.

I don't regret taking the chance but I now regret being here. I will give it a few more months before I decide if I will go back.

I just think constantly that I left my girlfriend, family, job, few friends for this???

Just be careful before you move that you know you really want to do it.

Last edited by VAforever123; 04-13-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Sorry VA, I lived in Miami, and was glad to leave. Consider this an extended vacation, and apply for jobs some place else.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,211 times
Its alright. I am taking it as a experience and yes I will make the best of it. I mean its only been 3 mos. So maybe it will get better. If I am going anywhere else it is back to VA. The most important people in my life are up there. I can always bite the bullet and start fresh.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
No. I have recently relocated and it has been difficult. None of my plans worked out but I am hopeful. I like my new city and I found a job. The pay is a third of what I made before but I am managing. There is also room to grow in the company which is encouraging. I am learning so much about myself and I look forward to what the future holds.

I can not believe that I gave up such a high paying job and I do not care. I am working in a new industry which is exciting. It is so difficult to get into something new. My neighborhod is awesome and I cannot wait until it warms up.

I suggest that you have little to no debt before you make the leap. It is also important that the new city's economy is good. It does not make sense to move to a new place where housing is cheap but there are no jobs. You need to ask yourself what you are looking for and prepared to deal with it if you get it. Change is scary but it also makes the heart pump. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.