Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 PM

167 posts, read 852,924 times

Advertisements

Around August (possibly September) I plan on moving from one side of the country to the other, and am not sure how to transport my dog. Not that I think it makes a difference, but I'm in Canada moving from the Toronto area to Victoria, BC. It's about 4400 kilometers (2700 miles) depending which route I take. I'm considering crossing the border into the US as there will be fewer mountains and I hear it's a nicer drive than going through Canada (as I've done a few times in the past). Not sure if that's a good idea with a van and trailer full of personal items, and possibly my dog, though. (I know, he'll need his shots up to date if I cross the border with him).

Now for the potential problem... my 3 year old dog (an adorable and affectionate 30 pound Boston Terrier/Boxer mix) absolutely HATES car rides. He seems to be better with local trips when he recognizes the scenery. But on longer trips, he stands on the back seat and cries and pants the whole time, thus being near the point of dehydration by the time we arrive at our destination. This happened recently on a 2 hour drive and someone was with him in the back seat. In the past he's settled down and might have even had a nap (eventually). But now, he stands the whole time and keeps panting, thus making himself very thirsty. In the past, he's made a few 6 hour trips with a 30-60 minute rest stop at the 3 hour (half way) point. He did not want to go to the bathroom or drink any water until we got to our final destination and settled down.

He's a a rescue dog. I got him when he was 10 months old and have become very attached to him. I don't want him to experience anything unpleasant or any harm. The first trip I took with him - a 6 hour drive - I was told to give him a sedative. Either he spat it out (I don't think he did) or it was too low a dosage, or he fought it. He kept crying and panting the whole way. He was in his crate in the back of my minivan that time.

I really don't know what to do now. I'm single and will be moving alone. The way I see it, I have two options (unless you can suggest something else for me):

1. Take the dog with me in my air conditioned van. If I take the dog with me in the van, I plan on keeping the front seat for the dog, so he can see me. For a cross-country trip like this, I know it would make for a LONG drive, but I would stop every 2 to 3 hours to let him out on a leash for a quick walk and bathroom break. Probably a good idea for me too, otherwise I tend to drive too long without a break. But I don't want to torture the dog. I know he won't like this, and it will probably take me 4 days, maybe 5 days to make the trip.

2. I drive alone and send the dog on a plane. I'm thinking of driving out west myself and then once I get there, have someone take the dog to the airport in a dog crate. The doggie daycare offers local pick up and drop offs, but they might be up for taking the dog to the airport. At least they know dogs and would have my dog's best interest at heart. Next best option, see if the airport shuttle van or a taxi could take the dog to the airport. Unfortunately I don't have any friends or family members who could take the dog to the airport. This would definitely be A LOT more expensive (but much quicker) than taking the dog with me in the van. But, my dog will NOT enjoy being alone, shipped around and may think he's been abandoned again. I figure from the time he's picked up, taken to the airport, put on a plane, flown out west, taken off the plan and ready for me to pick him up will be at least 8 hours. I don't want him to get dehydrated or worse...

So, what to do? Anyone else ever had to move with a nervous dog that hates being transported? I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

PS: I know there's a pet section in this forum, but it seems to be more for discussion on breeds, living with dogs, etc. Didn't see anything on moving with dogs there, or using the search function.
Attached Thumbnails
How to move coast to coast with a dog who HATES car rides?-winter2.jpg  

Last edited by JustSomeGuy73; 03-30-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,820,403 times
I have a Lab who also hates the car. If she went any further than the park she reacted the same way yours does.

The vet can prescribe a sedative that might help. Lately I've used a low dose of melatonin to get the same affect. You need to be careful not to over do it, based on your dogs weight. We put her bed in the back seat, and she's reasonably calm now. We stop at the rest stops and give her water, as well as let her stretch her legs a bit. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 14,068 times
I'll second trying again with the sedative. Beyond that, frequent stops to try to settle his agitation. Could you really run him around at the rest stops and try to tire him out?

I'm going to suggest not flying him, because it's not the safest option. They're pretty much treated as luggage, and luggage gets lost. You'll still need to sedate him, and even then it could be a more traumatic experience for him than 4 or 5 days in a car.

Good luck. I hope whichever option you choose goes well for both of you.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,371,854 times
Have you considered shipping the van and both of you flying?

We recently considered a move from SoCal to Miami - and the quotes I got from vehicle moving companies came in much lower than I expected. I think we would have gone that route esp after factoring in travel time and ease, gas costs, not putting extra miles and wear and tear on the car, etc... plus finding a place to stay - hotels charge more if you've got an animal with you. And I'd think, even in Canada - August will be pretty hot - leaving him in the car while you gas up/use the restroom/get snacks might not be an option?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 PM

2,299 posts, read 2,576,798 times
Hard to tell exactly how long your dog's nose is from that shot, but the smaller the nose, the less desirable airplane travel is for dogs.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 AM

167 posts, read 852,924 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was also thinking of getting a sedative, from a veterinarian who would prescribe the right one and in the right dosage for the dog's weight. My only concern is that he would have to be sedated for at least 4 days in a row, and that kind of worries me. One day maybe. But for half a week I'm not sure.

Tire him out instead of sedating him
He's still young and energetic, so it takes a while to tire him out. I've got a 30 foot leash, so I could use that and let him have a bit more freedom than the regular 6 foot leash gives him. I could try to get him running around and tired out. I don't want to let him off the leash in unfamiliar areas in case he takes off. It's hard enough to get him to come back in my own neighborhood, so I'd hate to lose him in the middle of nowhere, so the 30 foot leash would be a compromise. Good idea, I hadn't thought of tiring him out at rest stops. A couple of times per day might be enough. I like that better than a sedative. Each rest stop I would fill his water dish with cool, fresh water. Hopefully he would not be too agitated and will drink some water after he settles down, or after having run around.

Sending him on a plane
The thought of sending him on a plane (whether I'm on board the plane in the passenger compartment or not), was really not my preferred choice. As mentioned, pets in a pet crate will probably get treated as luggage. At a minimum, a bumpy ride. Possible lost. Worst case, treated so poorly that he perishes (though I imagine it's a rarity). My dog might get such an anxiety attack, being scared of where he is and being without me, who knows why physical or mental damage could be done, even if he's sedated. I think I'll leave the plane as a last option. If I could take him with me in the passenger area of the plane, that would be a different story all together. But he's not a service dog, and could not pass for one, so that's out of the question.

Potential breathing issues
My dog's muzzle/nose is fairly short. Since he's a mixed breed, he does not have the round face of a pure bred Bostin Terrier, but his muzzle and nose are shorter than that of pure bred Boxer. Somewhere in the middle - maybe 4 inches long. You're right about dogs with shorter noses though - they tend to have more breathing issues in hot weather due to the smaller respiratory system.

Shipping the van VS driving it out west
I thought of shipping the van, but it's a pretty big van (2005 Chevy Astro) and I can take a LOT of things with me (instead of paying a moving company), and it's supposed to be the best minivan/mid size van ever made for trailer towing. It turns out to be significantly cheaper to take my van (loaded up with as much as possible, and will probably tow a rented Uhaul trailer or a purchased trailer behind). Basically I just pay for gas and hotels, and I can move most of my belongings (whatever doesn't fit I will sell or give away before leaving). So, no paying for movers which would be at least a few grand.

And shipping the van would cost between $1200 to $1500 (it tends to cost a bit more in Canada than in the US for things like this). A one-way plane ticket is about $700 for me, and I'm not sure how much for the dog. And I would not be able to take any of my belongings with me, except for what fits in a suitcase. This is why my preferred method to get out west is driving. Ideally me, the dog, the van towing a trailer and loaded up with all of my belongings. With gas, hotel and a 1 way rental on a Uhaul cargo trailer it should be between $1700 to $2000, and I get everything and everyone out west for that price. If I buy a trailer, it will be a bit more (another $1500 or so, but then I get to keep the trailer and I have plans for a trailer for a business I want to start when I get out west).

Extra precautions
I'm planning on installing a remote starter with alarm for my van. Partly for this trip and partly because I'd like to have one anyways. The alarm would be nice to have for when I'm parked at a hotel or motel overnight and the van and trailer are left unattended. And the remote starter would be good so I can restart the van and let the air conditioner keep the interior cool for the dog when I have to run to use the restroom or go to a restaurant, or any time I cannot bring the dog with me. For overnight accomodation, I have a AAA / CAA approved book that lists hotels and motels across America and Canada that are pet friendly. That's OK if it costs a bit more - shouldn't be more that $20 difference over a regular hotel room (I hope)!

So, at this point I'm leaning towards driving out west and taking the dog with me in the van with rest stops every 2 or 3 hours. A couple of times per day, put the dog on a 30 foot leash and get him running around to tire himself out (providing it's not too hot). Perhaps keep some sedatives on hand to use if the dog gets really agitated - maybe on the first day. Hopefully after that he will get used to the traveling. Thanks again for the feedback. If anyone else has other ideas or opinions please let me know, thanks!

Last edited by JustSomeGuy73; 03-31-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 01:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,715,461 times
At Petco & other pet stores they have yummy (to dogs, that is) "pill pockets" to easily administer the doggie sedatives.

I would definitely have a week's worth of sedatives on hand & his favorite treats. A container for water is a must of course. Dogs get dehydrated in vehicles.

Hotel 6 is cheap & no charge for pets.

One must have certificate of recent vet exam & shot records to cross from US to Canada.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM

25,571 posts, read 21,753,969 times
Have you considered a crate in the vehicle or would it fit? Also, if not using a crate, consider a travel harness. They have something homeopathic called "Rescue Remedy" and I have heard that some people have had good results using that. It is a liquid. I, myself, would not ship a dog. Also, you're going to have to learn to be calm about the whole situation and not anticipating a problem since the dog will pick up vibs from you. I would increase the local trips and try to make them to some "fun" destinations for the dog. Many businesses now let dogs go inside. Also, if you use dog walks at rest stops, most dogs are anxious to overmark over what the last dog did or at least my females can't make enough stops to let everyone know that are top dog!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,099,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy73 View Post
Around August (possibly September) I plan on moving from one side of the country to the other, and am not sure how to transport my dog. Not that I think it makes a difference, but I'm in Canada moving from the Toronto area to Victoria, BC. It's about 4400 kilometers (2700 miles) depending which route I take. I'm considering crossing the border into the US as there will be fewer mountains and I hear it's a nicer drive than going through Canada (as I've done a few times in the past). Not sure if that's a good idea with a van and trailer full of personal items, and possibly my dog, though. (I know, he'll need his shots up to date if I cross the border with him).

Now for the potential problem... my 3 year old dog (an adorable and affectionate 30 pound Boston Terrier/Boxer mix) absolutely HATES car rides. He seems to be better with local trips when he recognizes the scenery. But on longer trips, he stands on the back seat and cries and pants the whole time, thus being near the point of dehydration by the time we arrive at our destination. This happened recently on a 2 hour drive and someone was with him in the back seat. In the past he's settled down and might have even had a nap (eventually). But now, he stands the whole time and keeps panting, thus making himself very thirsty. In the past, he's made a few 6 hour trips with a 30-60 minute rest stop at the 3 hour (half way) point. He did not want to go to the bathroom or drink any water until we got to our final destination and settled down.

He's a a rescue dog. I got him when he was 10 months old and have become very attached to him. I don't want him to experience anything unpleasant or any harm. The first trip I took with him - a 6 hour drive - I was told to give him a sedative. Either he spat it out (I don't think he did) or it was too low a dosage, or he fought it. He kept crying and panting the whole way. He was in his crate in the back of my minivan that time.

I really don't know what to do now. I'm single and will be moving alone. The way I see it, I have two options (unless you can suggest something else for me):

1. Take the dog with me in my air conditioned van. If I take the dog with me in the van, I plan on keeping the front seat for the dog, so he can see me. For a cross-country trip like this, I know it would make for a LONG drive, but I would stop every 2 to 3 hours to let him out on a leash for a quick walk and bathroom break. Probably a good idea for me too, otherwise I tend to drive too long without a break. But I don't want to torture the dog. I know he won't like this, and it will probably take me 4 days, maybe 5 days to make the trip.

2. I drive alone and send the dog on a plane. I'm thinking of driving out west myself and then once I get there, have someone take the dog to the airport in a dog crate. The doggie daycare offers local pick up and drop offs, but they might be up for taking the dog to the airport. At least they know dogs and would have my dog's best interest at heart. Next best option, see if the airport shuttle van or a taxi could take the dog to the airport. Unfortunately I don't have any friends or family members who could take the dog to the airport. This would definitely be A LOT more expensive (but much quicker) than taking the dog with me in the van. But, my dog will NOT enjoy being alone, shipped around and may think he's been abandoned again. I figure from the time he's picked up, taken to the airport, put on a plane, flown out west, taken off the plan and ready for me to pick him up will be at least 8 hours. I don't want him to get dehydrated or worse...

So, what to do? Anyone else ever had to move with a nervous dog that hates being transported? I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

PS: I know there's a pet section in this forum, but it seems to be more for discussion on breeds, living with dogs, etc. Didn't see anything on moving with dogs there, or using the search function.
I have read this entire Thread, and offer the following:

After traveling All over the western US for many many years with one or two dog with me (example: current dog is a 46 pound Brittany who has travel with me (IN HIS CRATE) over 68,000 miles in just over 4 years)....and no problems...AT ALL>.

You've got approx 5 months to get your dog ready for the trip...........(i know you mentioned "his crate" in one of your posts.)

1/...I would start IMMEDIATELY having your dog sleep in his crate in the house...and leave it where he can go into it during the day...to take a nap or whatever.....I would also feed him in the crate. Do "anything" to get him to consider "his crate" as being his "Security Blanket"!!

2/.... When you are traveling with him.....I would only feed him after you are through traveling for the day. (as you know,,,many dogs will POSSIBLY throw-up if you feed them in the morning before you start your traveling for the day.)

3/ If you don't have him Microchipped.....I would definitely get that done.

4/..Also have a properly fitting collar on him with the following info on one or more tags:..a/ your name; b/his Name;...c/your cell phone #; d/notification that he is "MicroChipped". I use tage that are riveted to the collar.

5/ Consult with your Vet about a Perscription Rx to keep him calm; how much to administer and how frequently to use it.

6/ Take a gallon or so of YOUR WATER that he is used to drinking at home......water obtained on the road MAY taste so different that he won't drink it.

7/... I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER "flying the dog"............breathing and respiratory problems (plus exxcessive temperatures in August) would create way-too-many "risks". (Many airlines WILL NOT take dogs in June, July , Aug and Sept)........due to problems with excessive heat.....and in you case very likely breathing problems---that would be exacerbated by his elevated "Stress level!!.

8/....You mention the front seat in the VAN.......Yes, if it appears that he would like to be able to see you (while being in his travel crate)..I would SECURE the Travel Crate to the front seat---not just set it there--, you want it SECURRED to the seat.

Good Luck.............and start with the daily use of the Travel Crate now..

EDIT: I'm sure you know....a dog can go 5 times longer without food than he can go with out water.
If you've been feeding him twice a day now....I would gradually wean him off of the morning feeding and get him used to being fed late in the afternoon (5 to 6 pm)..you still then have time to let him have a BM before you put him in the Crate for sleeping at night.... If he won't eat when on the road for the first day or two................don't sweat-it...... He'll eat when he gets hungry enough.

And I cannot over emphasize the importance of #4 above....

Last edited by Montana Griz; 03-31-2012 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts;...

Old 03-31-2012, 02:54 PM

18,607 posts, read 33,176,623 times
Great post, previously.
I have had dogs flown when I adopt from afar- it's preferable to not getting them at all, but summer is an issue. Also, noting the dog's smooshed-up nose is important- I wouldn't want to fly a dog like that.
Would certainly talk to the vet if you haven't already about ways to calm the dog. I'm glad OP is so interested in taking the dog and taking good care- so many people take dogs to shelters because "we're moving." Best wishes on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues