U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM

752 posts, read 525,729 times
Default My Moving Experience in 2012

We just relocated 2000 miles from N. NV to Texas - Family of 4, 1800 sq. ft. house with 3 car garage and all appliances (washer, dryer, Fridge, Freezer)

We packed all our own belongings. We found the Home Depot Boxes to be far superior to the U-Haul boxes and about 1/3 of the cost.
We bought bubble and foam wrap online. We spent weeks packing up all the breakables.
We used U-Hauls packing paper and we bought tape at Costco.

The hardest thing was trying to figure out how much truck space we were really going to need.

Trucks: Loading
we hired a set of "pups" from Old Dominion Freight Lines - the trucks come with a ramp and dolly. The rates were much better than those of ABF U-Move and it was the same concept. One truck was not quite enough and 2 was way too much. They will prorate the unused space so that you don't pay for the area you don't use. If we had been more diligent and really got rid of stuff we could have pulled off one truck. We filled out the second truck with my office stuff from the company I work for since we were also relocating my office, we were able to combine the loads. My employer paid for the trucks and the packers.

We hired a crew of 2 from a local United Van Lines carrier to load the truck. This was easily the best money we spent. We paid $35 per hour per guy but that truck was loaded very well, they did all the furniture etc.
We did not experience a single damaged item upon our arrival in TX. The guys loaded the truck in 8 hours. $600 for the day, worth every single penny.

My boss provided me with a crew to unload, had he not we would have hired labor to unload.

Cars:
From reviews here, we utilized Best Auto Transport and had hubbys car hauled for us. That was $780 and worked very well.

We drove my vehicle with our kids and cats. It was a great family adventure. Our trucks were ready for delivery when we arrived.

All in all it went very smoothly. Old Dominion was a great way to ship all the freight and I would utilize them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,112 times
Thank you for the positive feedback regarding OD Household Services. We are so glad it went smoothly for you and we hope you're enjoying your new home in Texas!

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:08 AM

97 posts, read 94,187 times
This is extremely helpful, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues