U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 AM

13,291 posts, read 25,459,767 times

Advertisements

I don't think it has much to do with birth order. Social mores have changed so much, especially for women. I mean, a woman in, say, the 1950s wasn't likely to live alone and move a bunch of places for the excitement of it (although she might have if a husband was military or transferred a lot).
I do think one can do it at any age; however, there are different considerations at different ages and possible considerations regarding family and so on. Friends of mine in their 40s say if they don't move this summer, it's now or never, when she finished her MBA and how will they get jobs at their age or older... but they both have elder parents and illness issues and don't want to be too far. I tell them it's not now or never (in case they make a foolish move NOW to avoid "never") but it all changes with different stages of life.
I have no one else to consider and have decided, after moving to New England at age 20, leaving three times for adventure/jobs, returning three times, that New England with its imperfections suits me. I have an old-fashioned pension building up at my steady job, and by sheer accident was able to build my perfect dream house, which I never thought I'd get anywhere near in eastern Mass. The house really really feels like home, and N.E. works pretty well. The American West still beckons for "adventure" but I don't think I'll be moving out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,566,607 times
One thing I would suggest especially after you have narrowed down your choices, is to visit the places you think might work for you. Stay as long as possible and really try to get around. Too many people move on the basis of what they hear about a place which may be all good and even all true but not necessarily for them.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,879,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One thing I would suggest especially after you have narrowed down your choices, is to visit the places you think might work for you. Stay as long as possible and really try to get around. Too many people move on the basis of what they hear about a place which may be all good and even all true but not necessarily for them.
That would be ideal if you have the funds to do so! I might be taking a trip to Michigan to do a look-see at Grand Rapids and areas in West Michigan...I luckily have the funds to do the trip, now I just have to worry about the motivation to do it... I'm beginning to come out of the shell I've been in for these past (many ) months, normally I'm a pretty extroverted person, so I hope to come back "into" myself and take the plunge...Wish me luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,900,061 times
It is nice to know that I am not alone. I have been going back and forth for several years. However, when I decide to stay I feel sad and hopeless. My life here is okay but something is missing. It just does not suit me. I want a pedestrian lifestyle but it is just not possible where I currently live. I cannot believe how expensive it is to live in NYC.

I've already visited the place and I feel like I can do it. It is not utopia but I think it suits me. I can actually see myself doing fun things on the weekend without getting in my car. It will be like living in NYC without the ridiculous rent. I also plan to go to grad school.

It is hard but I am forging ahead because the place where I live is not allowing me to lead the lifestyle that I want. If I do not like it, I can always leave after grad school. Life is about experiencing both the good and bad.

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is nice to know that I am not alone. I have been going back and forth for several years. However, when I decide to stay I feel sad and hopeless. My life here is okay but something is missing. It just does not suit me. I want a pedestrian lifestyle but it is just not possible where I currently live. I cannot believe how expensive it is to live in NYC.

I've already visited the place and I feel like I can do it. It is not utopia but I think it suits me. I can actually see myself doing fun things on the weekend without getting in my car. It will be like living in NYC without the ridiculous rent. I also plan to go to grad school.

It is hard but I am forging ahead because the place where I live is not allowing me to lead the lifestyle that I want. If I do not like it, I can always leave after grad school. Life is about experiencing both the good and bad.

Good Luck!
Care to share what state?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Maryland

Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,298,631 times
Care to share what city?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Not really. I am on the fence again. Suppose my comfortable boring life becomes worse. Maybe I will commute one day a week to go to grad school. That may be a good compromise. Who knows? This thread suits me perfectly.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM

841 posts, read 1,656,866 times
The thing I find is you will get all excited about a place, then after checking out statistics and other peoples' opinions you will find out one of the following:

1. the schools suck
2. the schools suck for special ed.
3. the crime is bad
4. the crime is BAD in the city where you will work, but good in the suburbs outside that city. (like I live at now).
However all the jobs are in the city. So even if you escape the crime by night, by day you are putting yourself at risk.
5. the place is too expensive for me to afford
6. the better towns without crime are too expensive
7. there aren't any jobs even though the area is cheap or affordable (where I live now because there aren't any jobs, this part of the state is quite cheap).

Then there is the cost of moving. Even if you bare bones move without a lot of stuff, the cost is very high to check out a city or an area.

We've moved to several different states and even abroad but this time we are stuck in a rust belt area and want to get off the E. Coast. But it's scary to do a huge move like that.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
The thing I find is you will get all excited about a place, then after checking out statistics and other peoples' opinions you will find out one of the following:

1. the schools suck
2. the schools suck for special ed.
3. the crime is bad
4. the crime is BAD in the city where you will work, but good in the suburbs outside that city. (like I live at now).
However all the jobs are in the city. So even if you escape the crime by night, by day you are putting yourself at risk.
5. the place is too expensive for me to afford
6. the better towns without crime are too expensive
7. there aren't any jobs even though the area is cheap or affordable (where I live now because there aren't any jobs, this part of the state is quite cheap).

Then there is the cost of moving. Even if you bare bones move without a lot of stuff, the cost is very high to check out a city or an area.

We've moved to several different states and even abroad but this time we are stuck in a rust belt area and want to get off the E. Coast. But it's scary to do a huge move like that.
You are so spot on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues