Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times

Advertisements

I've got a 300 mile move to a new employer within the state of New Mexico. There's no relocation assistance. What's going to be the least expensive option for such a move? I'm in a 3 bedroom house with only 2 of the bedrooms in use.

I'm thinking that a lot stuff should just be thrown away or given to people rather than paying for transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
The least expensive option is to load it all into a conestoga wagon and mount up.

The next least expensive option is to DIY with a rental truck.

Unless you can buy a brand new everything you threw away for like $300-$400, then that will still be more expensive than moving it.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
This may be a good time to get rid of any stuff you have accumulated that you no longer want/need. Perhaps that will allow you to rent a smaller moving truck and save a little money. But if you're talking furniture that you would use again, renting the truck is bound to be cheaper than buying new once you get to your new location.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
I'd set aside time each day to go thru each room of the house and purge. Don't try to do the whole house at one sitting ....

Say - ok - this afternoon, I'm doing the extra bedroom or the hall closet, etc

Many charities will do home pick-ups. At our last house, the local charity had a website where you could schedule a pick-up and just leave everything on the porch.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Local movers are a lot less expensive than interstate movers. So, if you are old (like me) or otherwise unable to load and unload a rental truck, you could call a local mover and get an estimate. Ask about an estimate using their truck, and alternately how much it would be if they provide labor and you rent and drive a rental truck. You'd have to find labor at the destination to unload the truck, too.

It will be hard to get rid of much in just 2-3 weeks. For a longer move, with months to prepare, we gave most of our furniture to the Salvation Army and our unneeded smaller stuff to Good Will (or threw it away if it was worthless). The library was happy to get excess books.

Haven't missed anything we got rid of, at all.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Get rid of what you don't want or need and put the rest of it in a U-Haul. I went from an overstuffed one-bedroom apartment to only what would fit in the back of my truck in just a few weeks, while I was finishing a master's thesis. You're not really moving very far, so it really doesn't make sense to get rid of stuff you'd just have to replace. So just get rid of stuff you know you don't need anyways.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

167 posts, read 856,820 times
If you know someone with a vehicle that has a trailer hitch, you could rent a large Uhaul trailer for a couple of days (ask your friend to drive it, since it is his/her vehicle, and pay their gas and dinner). Uhaul doesn't charge mileage on trailers, so you can make a couple of trips if needed. And I agree with the others on taking this as an opportunity to declutter and throw out or donate items you no longer need or use. That's what I'm doing right now and it feels very liberating and makes me feel lighter in a weird sort of way.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Sell the stuff you don't want anymore. My friend was moving and was thinking of just getting rid of her stuff. I convinced her to have a garage sale and she sold $3,000 worth of stuff. She was stunned and couldn't believe it. The money came in handy with moving and settling into her new place.

Get a Budget truck instead of U-Haul. You can go on-line and get coupons for Budget for up to 35% off and book on-line.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Get rid of whatever you cannot fit into a POD!
I've moved so many times in my life... the POD is the best way for a "self-move"... better than the U-haul & Budget that I have rented in the past.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM

492 posts, read 630,952 times
Purge, purge, purge...lol....we lived in the same house for 39 years and when he retired we went through everything and threw a lot of it away. Sold some stuff online and had two garage sales. Gave one truck load to a Woman's shelter and one truck load to the local Boy Scouts! We still have too much and have not missed one thing that we got rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues