U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM

5,561 posts, read 8,987,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
But if all you have to complain about is being verbally berated and maligned day after day by the parents who took you in, suck it up. You have no idea how you'll be treated when you're on the streets. It ain't pretty.
I disagree. Emotional and mental abuse are just as real as physical and sexual abuse. Telling people to "suck it up" is doing a great disservice to them and being dismissive. The mental scars that this type of abuse can leave, especially on children and young adults are just as hard, if not harder, to heal than physical scars. I'd tell someone dealing w/ verbally/emotionally/mentally abusive parents to leave the house ASAP, even if it meant temporary homelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 17,159,100 times
My adult kids, and a few others I know, are always welcome in my home. In fact, the two here now don't seem to be in a hurry to leave.

I had a good home life and I provided the same so it's not surprising.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,794,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
right. Great idea if you have "normal" parents. My Mom is a cat hoarder, has a borderline personality disorder, and is beyond weird. I have never had "moving home" as an option in my life. And knowing that safety net is not there makes you really cognizant of survival, and maintaining constant employment. This thread is really about coming from a completely dysdunctional home. Been there. Never going back. Maybe if I absolutely had to...but I really can't see that happening. I would move in and be a nurse for an elderly person first.
Your correct about that. Like my motto says"Crazy is the New Normal" My mom was, is and will always be a control freak, using any form of manipulation that she could use to emotionally and mentally control you. I went home for a short period and had to prepare myself mentally for it; never again .

But now if I had to be homeless I would go to these two sites:
cheaprvliving,com and cheapgreenrvliving.com
where people had converted vehicles to live in. Some I must admit are very good. Before I get to my last $8K, I would fit up a van and live out of that and put the rest of my stuff in a tiny storage building...I would become a minimalist.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
There are options for getting out of one's parents' house if one wants to do it badly enough, but it's still tough.
What are all the options? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 AM

6,093 posts, read 2,295,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCV1 View Post
What are all the options? Thanks.
See post #39. I thought I gave an excellent suggestion, something I actually did.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,995,484 times
I'm biting my tongue and going with the flow of things while living at my stepdads place.
He doesn't say it out loud, but I'm getting hints that he wants me to get back out on my own at the age I'm at.
Still, I'd rather have some form of roof over my head than feel like some sort of transient who doesn't seem to stick to one place for too long.

The things I've read in this thread pretty much explains part of the disillusionment I was beginning to have with one of my jobs.
Sure the money was decent, but you never have nearly enough time to put it to something and you're never in the same place long enough to enjoy life.

Whether it's a parents house, friends house, tent in a secure campground, or a long-term motel room, it's always nice to be able to come to some type of home at the end of your workday.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 PM

10,209 posts, read 7,741,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Your correct about that. Like my motto says"Crazy is the New Normal" My mom was, is and will always be a control freak, using any form of manipulation that she could use to emotionally and mentally control you. I went home for a short period and had to prepare myself mentally for it; never again .

But now if I had to be homeless I would go to these two sites:
cheaprvliving,com and cheapgreenrvliving.com
where people had converted vehicles to live in. Some I must admit are very good. Before I get to my last $8K, I would fit up a van and live out of that and put the rest of my stuff in a tiny storage building...I would become a minimalist.
This works some places and not others. Cities are starting to outlaw living in your car. You don't want to have to 'hide' like your not there and sleep listiening for the police to wake you up. Sometimes there are 'safe' areas, but the general run of users are there too, and one should always remember that when homeless the people around you still have number one to look out for first.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM

1,925 posts, read 1,995,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This works some places and not others. Cities are starting to outlaw living in your car. You don't want to have to 'hide' like your not there and sleep listiening for the police to wake you up.
And to think if you refuse to move, they'll give you three hots and a cot for your own troubles.
I'm just relating this thing to that "Prison as an alternative lifestyle" thread on the employment sub-forum.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
See post #39. I thought I gave an excellent suggestion, something I actually did.
Other suggestions besides that one?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 AM

10,209 posts, read 7,741,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
And to think if you refuse to move, they'll give you three hots and a cot for your own troubles.
I'm just relating this thing to that "Prison as an alternative lifestyle" thread on the employment sub-forum.
They'll also tow your vehical and demand money to give it back. And you've got to show insurence.

Given the choice of that or something other, I'd move into one of those Homeless camps which have sprung up. It looks grungy, but having an address and having a place you know you can come home to would be invaluable. It's people circling the wagons and making their own safe place where everything is full up elsewhere.

There have been people who did commit minor crimes to get put in jail since at least it was a bed and dependable meals. So sad....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues