U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,227,891 times

Advertisements

We are moving in a few weeks. We choose the new house for a few reasons ; size of lot, mostly updated, and school district and that we can buy it without a mortgage.

Both of our sisters asked for pics of the new house. So after we sent them, both sisters acted as if the new house was terrible.

It is a smaller house than we are in right now and it is not a wow house. But it will be our home and we will make it cozy and warm for us and our kids.

I think their complaint really is that it is too small for them to come and visit. When one comes, she refuses to rent a car and stays for at least a week or two. My dh's sister is a snob and would like the wow factor.

Cant anyone just be happy for others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,657,657 times
I would just buy what you want and say to your relatives ARE YOU PAYING MY BILLS?

And tell your sister that there is a new invention called a motel. Explore it.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,390,040 times
LOL We moved from a 900 sq foot house to a 2000 sq foot house. Our 'new' house is a 100-year-old farmhouse, big bay window, 3-inch solid maple trim and wainscoting, huge Brs, a basement, etc., even a huge verandah. We are also 40 miles from the nearest town that has a motel. The only people who have come to see us are our niece and 4 kids, and our daughter and fiancee. Why? Because "there's nothing to do here" except take care of cows and chickens and the garden. No amenities, no real nightlife (a small local bar/restaurant provides what we need) nothing but distance and silence. It scares the crap out of most of our family and friends, as does the fact that it is a 3 hour drive from the closest airport. They insisted we were crazy to move here.... which suits us just fine.

Who cares what other people think if you are happy? Like chef.sunny says, they're not paying your bills and they need to learn that YOU are not there for THEM - get a motel.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

15,021 posts, read 18,879,998 times
They sound like they are jealous that you are living mortgage free. That's a huge accomplishment these days - a life changing luxury.

You and your husband deserve to feel great about that. Don't let their envy get in the way.

Congratulations and may the new house quickly become your HOME.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,301,514 times
Congrats on your new mortgage free home!!
your OP doesn't say you bought the home outright but I'm going from what jkgourmet posted.
Your sisters may not be happy for you but I am! Anyone who passes up some bigger house than they need for one they can truly afford to buy without a mortgage deserves some recognition.

Get the most uncomfortable foldout sofabed you can find for your inlaws and your sister and put it smack dab in the middle of the family room. They'll be ready to leave much sooner!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM

56 posts, read 95,514 times
Default It's not you, it's them

Congrats on being mortgage-free Smaller homes mean less "stuff" - and how important is "stuff" at the end of the day? Less to heat/cool. Less to clean! And more security for your family it seems. Like others said - do they pay your bills?!

Your post sounds like what happened when my dad & brother came to an open house w/DH and I. We liked it, they hated it - picked apart every little flaw, said we could do better, etc etc. It was a small but totally remodeled "starter" home 4 blocks from my bro's house and 7 miles from my dad's, in an overpriced Chicago suburb dealing with weather and taxes my DH loathed. They actually made us decide against the place with their reaction. It ended up with us moving to FL a couple of years later. This was the right decision for DH and me which they bemoan to this day. We could have been built-in babysitters for my nieces and close by for everything else. BTW we could have barely afforded the place, and it would have meant a dull existence for both of us for years to come paying what would have become an upside-down mortgage like my bro's.

Enjoy your new home! Surplus Army cots for guests

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM

8,564 posts, read 10,776,860 times
How many houses, really, are wow houses? Maybe of the rich and famous. If you find a space and that feels like home, decorate it up nice and it feels comfortable and secure, what more does one need? The good news is that as you get older, you care less and less about other people's opinions.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 PM

483 posts, read 487,882 times
Good for you!! Mortgage free!! Wow! As your kids get bigger and leave home your home will get bigger! Family should want to come see you and not the house or what you can do to entertain them.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
How many houses, really, are wow houses?
One can always have a "WOW" garden. A "WOW" interior. Etc.
Since you'll be able to save the money that would otherwise be going to some wallstreet banker and some utility company, you might decide to put in a pool and patio that rivals that of any superstar.

People with WOW houses have to work more to keep the roof over their head just so they can pay more income and property tax. Whereas you can skip the stress of that and be able to spend more time with the fam and doing things you enjoy.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,227,891 times
thank you oh so much for your opinions. It is a huge factor for us that we can do it without the bank. It is absolutely awesome. I also think down the line and like the fact that there are bedrooms on the main floor (for when we get older) and it is not a huge house. Most of our friends are wonderful about it, it is our family that has the issue.

We can put our hard earned money into traveling with our sons and enjoying life the way we want to. 9 more weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues