U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 AM

167 posts, read 714,153 times

Advertisements

I truly believe that life is what you make of it. True, there are many starry eyed people who pack up and move somewhere they feel will be perfect. And true, it doesn't work out for all of them. But, it DOES work out for some of them. If we dwell on the negatives and what can go wrong, then that's what we'll get. Of course, it's important to research the area as much as possible, ahead of time, to avoid unpleasant surprises. And having adequate money saved up is a big help - the more the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,451,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Only the 1% can afford scenery or beaches
Or are really lucky. I am about to move to a gorgeous full view rental house with beach rights that is well within the budget. It is amazing what my husband and I have accomplished moving here 13 months ago with no jobs. Even in my wildest fantasy, I never thought we'd be living such a charmed existence here.

We are still not rich. I was surprised when I found out in our county that with my husband's income we are still considered slightly below the cutoff for some low income social programs. Had a good laugh about that because we do live fine on his salary.

What we are though is resourceful and have plans and backup plans. We have savings. No debt or mortgage besides a small amount of public student loan debt at a very low interest rate and with good hardship terms. We have a lot of luck on our side.

You can't eat weather or scenery, true. But good weather/scenery and a decent local economy are not always mutually exclusive. I found that to be very true here. Do your homework before moving anywhere. I spent a good two years researching the move to the Puget Sound. I did consider a few other nice places, but the job markets there were a bit of a gamble. I am very happy with the decision I made and glad I had it in me to make the move.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,444,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That seems a rather unfair judgment.
Let's just say that those are the ones that can afford to live there. Seems like a fair and honest judgement to me.

There will be pretentious and UN-pretentious people every where you look. But you seldom find the pretentious ones in inexpensive surroundings.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

167 posts, read 714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Or are really lucky. I am about to move to a gorgeous full view rental house with beach rights that is well within the budget. It is amazing what my husband and I have accomplished moving here 13 months ago with no jobs. Even in my wildest fantasy, I never thought we'd be living such a charmed existence here.

We are still not rich. I was surprised when I found out in our county that with my husband's income we are still considered slightly below the cutoff for some low income social programs. Had a good laugh about that because we do live fine on his salary.

What we are though is resourceful and have plans and backup plans. We have savings. No debt or mortgage besides a small amount of public student loan debt at a very low interest rate and with good hardship terms. We have a lot of luck on our side.

You can't eat weather or scenery, true. But good weather/scenery and a decent local economy are not always mutually exclusive. I found that to be very true here. Do your homework before moving anywhere. I spent a good two years researching the move to the Puget Sound. I did consider a few other nice places, but the job markets there were a bit of a gamble. I am very happy with the decision I made and glad I had it in me to make the move.
Awesome! This is what I like to hear! And I'm sure it will only get better. It was nice to read something inspiring like that.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM

4,556 posts, read 7,027,162 times
Go visit the San Diego forum if you want to see people who have no grip on reality. They have romanticized SD to the point of laughable. Of course, they have 3 kids, want a "safe" neighborhood (like, who doesn't?), the greatest schools, walkability (whatever that is), close to the beach, sunny, no humidity, no bugs, a half hour commute (at the most), and they are coming with no jobs. Or else they are 21 years old, want to hang out, drink, party with beautiful women for a couple of years, and will do any job just to live in a flop house apt in PB. Their parents must be so proud.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM

7,666 posts, read 8,955,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let's just say that those are the ones that can afford to live there. Seems like a fair and honest judgement to me.

There will be pretentious and UN-pretentious people every where you look. But you seldom find the pretentious ones in inexpensive surroundings.
You are absolutely right that you seldom find pretentious people in inexpensive surroundings. That was one thing that was nice about my move to Wyoming. I don't live in the garden spot but most of the people are real, down to earth, hardworking people who appreciate the value of a dollar and are not the least bit shallow. That trumps any scenery in my mind for a place to live.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,577,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Go visit the San Diego forum if you want to see people who have no grip on reality. They have romanticized SD to the point of laughable. Of course, they have 3 kids, want a "safe" neighborhood (like, who doesn't?), the greatest schools, walkability (whatever that is), close to the beach, sunny, no humidity, no bugs, a half hour commute (at the most), and they are coming with no jobs. Or else they are 21 years old, want to hang out, drink, party with beautiful women for a couple of years, and will do any job just to live in a flop house apt in PB. Their parents must be so proud.
Add to that on the Portland forum they feel they have to tell everyone they are vegan, atheist, green, liberal, individual and so forth as if it were a criteria to live here.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM

17,278 posts, read 21,125,433 times
In whatever economy, you'll find the risk-taking "Born Luckie's", who you'd like to strangle, when they speak of taking breath-taking risks and always land on their feet, enjoying whatever scenery they wished to enjoy.

I have a friend like that, and I've been expecting it for decades know, one of these times, she's not going to land on her feet, and I'm going to get a panic-stricken phone call in the middle of the night! Help! Help!

Las Vegas is surrounded by mountains, and the majority of the workers here are low-income, and here's one place where the scenery isn't so expensive!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,132,579 times
When my husband and I relocated for a better job we moved to a pretty "boring" state. We were excited because the cost of living was cheaper, better schools and the job opportunity was pretty good. When we announced our move it was kind of amusing to see the disappointed faces. "You are moving..where???"

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,577,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
When my husband and I relocated for a better job we moved to a pretty "boring" state. We were excited because the cost of living was cheaper, better schools and the job opportunity was pretty good. When we announced our move it was kind of amusing to see the disappointed faces. "You are moving..where???"
I here you loud and clear! My plans are to relocate from Portland OR to Cleveland Ohio. You should hear the comments I get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues