U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,844,677 times

Advertisements

Evening all -

I'm sure questions like this come up again and again. But I'm in need of some advice - and I feel like family and friends don't always have the most neutral point of view on these things - so here I am at citydata!

So I currently live in Northern Virginia, near DC. I am very happy here. My friends are here, my family for the most part is here or w/i 1 day drive. I enjoy the area. My grandmother has a country place I love to visit. My favorite vacation spot (Outer Banks of NC) is less than a day's drive. I just bought a condo in October. And except for the humid summers - I even like the weather (I'm a fan of four seasons and winter).

Now for my conundrum. This past Friday, I had an interview at Google. I felt it went pretty well, but it is hard to tell with these things. I feel like the company and the culture would be a great fit for me. And of course, Google is an excellent company to work for. I don't have an offer yet - and may not get one - but if I do I'd like to have at least some idea of what I will do. The position in question would be in Mountain View, CA.

Silicon Valley is a great area. I've visited the Bay Area many times, and love it - what's not to love - great scenery, San Francisco is an amazing city, there are tons of outdoor activities, great weather. But the bottom line for me is that I've realized I don't really want to move there (or anywhere) right now. Bluntly, I am happy where I am. I just moved to this area about 3 years ago and am just getting settled in. I've always been a very family oriented person - always lived within an easy drive. The idea of losing that - let alone moving literally across country 2600 miles away - is not one I relish. Nor is the idea of leaving my condo, which I just got fixed up the way I like it.

The main counter I hear from everyone is "but it's Google, no one turns down Google." And they have a point. I have a good job now, that I like a lot, with a good company. But Google is the type of company I could see myself working for "for good." Money wise, I'd make out better as well. Granted Bay Area COL would suck up a chunk of change, but I'm guessing I'd still be looking at at least a $20K raise beyond "break even." Of course - I could probably get another $10-15K here if I wanted to change jobs locally - so I'm not sure the $$ is a big issue. Part of me also likes the idea of getting out of the Government dominated world of DC and into a high tech commercial sector job.

So I guess it comes down to what I want right now vs. my career. It's hard to argue Google wouldn't be a good career move. But career has never been #1 in my life. It is important - but after family and the like. And it's not like my current job is a dead end - I am in a growth field with lots of upward mobility both at my company and with any number of others in my area. It's just not Google .

So with all that - I am strongly leaning toward staying here. That's what my heart is telling me. Moving may be "optimal" career wise, but I still have "very good" options here. And I just don't want to move. Part of me - in the back of my mind - just worries that I'll somehow regret it down the road. Google is a big company, and in a few years maybe I'll be ready to move and can have another go at it - but there's no guarantees an opportunity will arise again.

So what does everyone think??? Any suggestions, in the event I do get an offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 AM

13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
"It's not an option until they say 'yes.'" (said a wise friend of mine).
That said, I'd stay. Sounds like the Google job would sound great to other people, and certainly in a "success" sense. But OP likes where s/he is, has great options there, and loves family, which is a great good fortune that many people don't have, and it's something you cannot just decide to go out and get.
Also, I believe S.F. is dramatically more expensive no matter what than NoVa, in every way.
Hats off to the OP for not automatically jumping at the "success" idea (and the NoVa life/job sounds very successful!) but Google would be "beating the Joneses." Good on ya for not caring about that aspect. Best wishes.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 AM

15,011 posts, read 18,869,495 times
I think you've already answered your own question

Quote:
But career has never been #1 in my life. It is important - but after family and the like.
Centuries ago, I was in a similar positiin, working for the top CPA firm in the country in Philadelphia, but wanting to move to Phoenix site unseen without a job. Quite literally, everyone thought I had gone nuts. Best decision I ever made (so far) - but it took years for my dad to agree.

On a more rational nite, depending on the type of mortgage you obtained on the cindi, you may have issues with getting out of it so soon. And you'll certainly lose money if you sell so soon after paying all the closing costs and fix uos you've completed. And don't even THINK about becoming a landlord!!!!

That final paragraph should give you plenty of ammunition when someone who has different priorities than yours tries to tell you that 'you don't turn down Google. "

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"It's not an option until they say 'yes.'" (said a wise friend of mine).
That said, I'd stay. Sounds like the Google job would sound great to other people, and certainly in a "success" sense. But OP likes where s/he is, has great options there, and loves family, which is a great good fortune that many people don't have, and it's something you cannot just decide to go out and get.
Also, I believe S.F. is dramatically more expensive no matter what than NoVa, in every way.
Hats off to the OP for not automatically jumping at the "success" idea (and the NoVa life/job sounds very successful!) but Google would be "beating the Joneses." Good on ya for not caring about that aspect. Best wishes.
Thanks for the input! You are correct I don't have a decision to make yet - and I won't make a final decision until I do. But things can move fast at that stage so I figured it best to reach out for advice now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think you've already answered your own question

Centuries ago, I was in a similar positiin, working for the top CPA firm in the country in Philadelphia, but wanting to move to Phoenix site unseen without a job. Quite literally, everyone thought I had gone nuts. Best decision I ever made (so far) - but it took years for my dad to agree.

On a more rational nite, depending on the type of mortgage you obtained on the cindi, you may have issues with getting out of it so soon. And you'll certainly lose money if you sell so soon after paying all the closing costs and fix uos you've completed. And don't even THINK about becoming a landlord!!!!

That final paragraph should give you plenty of ammunition when someone who has different priorities than yours tries to tell you that 'you don't turn down Google. "

Good luck.
Thanks! I probably would have to rent it out - my mom is retired and lives locally and has experience renting property so she would help me out. But you are right, it is far less than ideal.

I guess the rub is I could see myself living out there "some day" just not now. What I have to live with is the possibility that later may not be an option - that another opportunity may not arise. Increasingly I think that's a risk I can live with!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,153,801 times
For what it's worth - I suggest you stay put. You said it yourself - career isn't #1 - it comes after family and the like - Good Luck !!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 12,577,443 times
No chance of telecommuting, huh? Sounds like THAT would be ideal, and it IS a computer company, after all! (I have a friend in Michigan who works for IBM -- he can work from anywhere much of the time.)

If that is definitely not an option, then it sounds like you are perfectly happy where you are ... and have kind of answered your own question with your post. :-)

2,117 posts, read 5,299,532 times
A conundrum in deed.

Well you're probably only going to get one shot of this job (if you get it in the first place).
I would take the job and try it out before selling any of the existing real estate that you have. I'm guessing it would take a while to sell it anyway then again where I live, homes sit on the market for years.

You can rent in the mean time while you get a sense for where you'd like to be permanently. It's not like you can't fly back to the east coast whenever you want.

If you get the job, take the family out there and after a few days of that, ask them how they feel about moving there.

You're never going to know what could have been if you don't at least give it a try.

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
I think you need to look at your career 20 years from now. And the money. There are quality of life issues, if you want to stay by family, and living in California is a big quality of life issue for me, I don't like it there much. But you are used to big cities...and commutes. I think that you will be stuck with your condo, or become a landlord and rent it out...or take a bath on it if you sell it.

But, you have not been offered the job yet...why did you apply if you don't want to make the changes? This should be processed before you apply for jobs...

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,038,743 times
i have a few friends working at google and they frequently post pics on facebook of the bacon-wrapped scallops, crab legs, and whatever other wonderful things google offers for free in their cafeteria. not that this should affect your decision .

Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think you need to look at your career 20 years from now. And the money. There are quality of life issues, if you want to stay by family, and living in California is a big quality of life issue for me, I don't like it there much. But you are used to big cities...and commutes. I think that you will be stuck with your condo, or become a landlord and rent it out...or take a bath on it if you sell it.

But, you have not been offered the job yet...why did you apply if you don't want to make the changes? This should be processed before you apply for jobs...
I applied for a job in my local area. My resume got referred from there to others including this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues