U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 AM

6 posts, read 10,814 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 Buick Century with about 50,000 miles on it. It runs well. I purchased it for $5000 in 2006, which was a great deal. I don't particularly care for it but it gets me from point A to B and is paid for. It currently blue books for the about the price I paid.

I plan to move from Florida to Oregon. All the estimates I have received from transport companies seem to be right around $1500. I have no interest in driving across the country with two cats.

Do you think I should go with having it transported or sell it here and use the proceeds to buy a probably shabbier car when I relocate. Money is a huge issue. I don't have much.

Last edited by Kitty Gatita; 05-05-2012 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 AM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Gatita View Post
I have a 2001 Buick Century with about 50,000 miles on it. It runs well. I purchased it for $5000 in 2006, which was a great deal. I don't particularly care for it but it gets me from point A to B and is paid for. It currently blue books for the about the price I paid.

I plan to move from Florida to Oregon. All the estimates I have received from transport companies seem to be right around $1500. I have no interest in driving across the country with two cats.

Do you think I should go with having it transported or sell it here and use the proceeds to buy a probably shabbier car when I relocate. Money is a huge issue. I don't have much.
Given the fact your money is tight I would think selling it would be the way to go. If you have to buy a shabbier car once you arrive that could potentially be temporary as you begin to save money again. For around $2000 you can pick up a mid to late 90s Nissan, Toyota or Honda which will give you reliability, good gas mileage and decent insurance rates. Just make sure you get one with a good, working A/C!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 AM

3,819 posts, read 8,886,942 times
i see the flip side, while it may cost $1500 to get the car there (that seems reasonable, as we paid about 600 to haul a car from Wi to SC a couple years ago); you have a car that you are well versed in its history and maintenance and it's paid for. Sure you can buy something for a couple grand, but my thoughts is you would start looking at repairs as well (opinion here--if it's such a great used car why would someone be selling it to you...). Maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe you'll end up investing more in that older used car then the cost to haul what you already have. Just a thought...

But if money is that tight and it's more of a benefit to sell the car for $5k and put a portion to your moving expenses/living expenses and a portion to another car later then i can see that as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 10,814 times
Default Thanks so much!

I have decided to sell the car and use the proceeds to fund the move. I really don't care for the car anyway. And, given it's age, I keep thinking that I may be running into some repairs that could get expensive. Besides, a different car would add to my "make a new start" mentality.

Again, thanks for your input. It really helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues