U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM

285 posts, read 731,825 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We currently live in Boise, ID and we a are a young non-religious couple with no children (not the most common in Boise!) We moved here because of the vibrant downtown area and outdoor activities and being able to live in a quieter suburb only minutes away from all that. After gettting here, we were bored instantly. The downtown is great, but small. Nicer restaurants are few and far between, leaving only the big chains. Shopping is terrible unless you don't mind everything being low end or average at best. The outdoors are great, but day to day life seriously lacking.

We have a beautiful home in a great neighborhood, the jobs are paying the bills and while we can't live in excess, we are quite comfortable.

We are now thinking about moving to a larger city after lots and lots of research, but the costs involved are high and the COL in the new city is quite a bit higher as well. We think this city will have everything we expect and will be what we are most familiar with as we are both from larger cities originally.

My problem is that we won't be able to afford as nice of a home as we have now and selling ours will result in a small loss. We can't decide what is more important - the comfort and love of our home or the excitement and entertainment offered in a larger city?

Aside from the typical issue of finding a comparable job in the new city, can those who is or has been in our situation comment on this? Any general advice and wisdom would be appreciated as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 9,611,755 times
Quote:
We can't decide what is more important - the comfort and love of our home or the excitement and entertainment offered in a larger city?
you're the only ones who can make that decision. What some people do is live in the boring suburbs outside an exciting city - and go there for their entertainment.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,305,333 times
I think just about everyone is in your situation.
Be it for excitement or weather or one thing or the other.
Most people live where they have to for work or cost of living but would move if they could.

I wouldn't move anywhere without a guaranteed job unless you're self employed or have a ton of money saved up or have enough to buy a place outright.

I'll also have you know that non-religous and no children will put you in the minority just about everywhere in this country. City or otherwise.

I've lived in dense urban locations and I've lived in semi-rural areas. Haven't been especially happy in either. The city may have more going on but more traffic, longer commutes, more stinkin people, and all around more ways to be miserable.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 AM

167 posts, read 714,847 times
Myself, I would go where I'd be happy. No point living somewhere you dislike, just because it's cheaper. But some people are the opposite - they figure they work all day and then stay at home. So they choose an area that's got a lower cost of living like in the rust belt. I would never willingly choose to live where it's cold and/or snow for half the year or more! Even if it means it will cost more, I'm moving out west again where I'll be happy.

I think you should move where you'll be happy. If the loss on the sale of your house is small, just bite the bullet. But the trade off will be buying a smaller house or renting in your new city (by the sounds of it), so you need to ask yourself if you're willing to make that sacrifice.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM

7,676 posts, read 8,971,544 times
If the cost of living in the new city is going to be a major concern and you will have trouble making it, I would say give it a pass. You don't want to move somewhere and be flat broke because even though you may have lots of things around you there is no way to enjoy it when you have no money. Maybe look for a place with a similar cost of living and do your research.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,452,792 times
You only live once. When you get older, you can cocoon into your home. For now, I say go for it.

It's easy these days to worry about the economy and job markets. What's the worst that can happen? You go bust and start over. Nothing wrong with that, imo, and think of the laughs you'll have talking about it in your golden years.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,488,421 times
There are relatively few people with kids in many cities, especially the more expensive ones. However, the costs of excitement and entertainment might really drag on the OPs, if that's why they're moving and their material prospects aren't so great.
How about vacations to an exciting city?
I used to visit New York City and make the round with friends of jazz clubs and theater, and the general buzz on the street. I toyed with living there, working second shift and going to jazz clubs, until I noted the utterly crummy living conditions and cost of those clubs. Yes, most cities have plenty of free and interesting stuff, but not enough to live there and work, in my case.
I wouldn't want to live in a suburb full of kids, but that's me. I do live in a metro town that used to be all kids but is now 30 percent retired people. Still very family oriented, but not like a subdivision kind of suburb, and the real city is 30 miles away.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM

243 posts, read 519,494 times
I have spent time in Boise and I know what you mean. From the sounds of it, you might enjoy Portland or Seattle, which wouldn't be too different from Boise, but with a much wider selection of unique eateries and things to do. Both places also have quiet suburbs not too far from the city. Housing will likely be more expensive there, but if you can find a job to match costs, I say go for it!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,395,866 times
Exclamation Sarcasm alert!

Absolutely you should move to a more expensive area, without a job or a plan or a home, and just plunge in. I mean life is a party, right? It's all about the fun.

So what if you end up living in a ratty apartment or even your car? It's all about the adventure! Think of how pleasant your golden years will be, reminding each other of how you gave up a self-described 'beautiful' home, to go and party in a new, more exciting, more expensive place with no job, no home, and few prospects, and had to fight and struggle twice as hard just to get money to go out to dinner. You'll be able to remind each other about that weird guy at the soup kitchen who followed you around asking for money, or that night when you had no money and had to stay in the shelter where you got bedbugs. These are great memories! Of course, you might not be sharing them with each other, because stress and a lack of money causes many relationships to fail, but - the memories will be worth it! Think of all of those restaurants that you won't be able to afford, all of those great performances and events that you'll miss, because you have to work two jobs apiece to pay the bills in your new, more expensive area.

Yup! Sounds like a great (lack of) plan!Whooooo hoooo!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,896,958 times
since this isnt tied to a job transfer where employment is covered, and as you at least are comfortable where you are now, perhaps take an occasional long weekend trip to try different locations. For one it would give you some shopping and entertainment options you may be missing there, but also allow for some "research" on different markets. Worst case you had some nice little vacations, and best case you find a city that really shines for you and then you can pursue the choice of leaving, finding jobs, etc...

I do believe in being happy where you are, just make sure the choice made is good for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or