U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 54,083 times

Advertisements

Hi, what's the best route to drive from NJ down to Raleigh, by passing the very, very bad I-95 as much as possible? I don't mind if the driving distance is a bit more than I-95 but I have had so much bad experience on it I want to avoid it like the locust, especially between Philly and Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,677,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccougar91 View Post
Hi, what's the best route to drive from NJ down to Raleigh, by passing the very, very bad I-95 as much as possible? I don't mind if the driving distance is a bit more than I-95 but I have had so much bad experience on it I want to avoid it like the locust, especially between Philly and Richmond.
Unfortunately, unless you want to go a ways out of your way - there really isn't a substitute. One thng you could do is go on Mapquest and map your route. Once thats done, pick the option to "avoid" I-95 and see what pops up. Good luck though. It would probably be best to just pick off hours and take I-95.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:04 AM

521 posts, read 3,940,605 times
You could always go through the DELMARVA but cutting south on Rt 13 in Delaware, but you'd really, really have to hate I-95 a lot to consider that option. It's a route where you constantly encountering slow moving truck and farm equipment traffic. It improves a bit after you take the bridge/tunnel from Virginia to North Carolina.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 54,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Unfortunately, unless you want to go a ways out of your way - there really isn't a substitute. One thng you could do is go on Mapquest and map your route. Once thats done, pick the option to "avoid" I-95 and see what pops up. Good luck though. It would probably be best to just pick off hours and take I-95.
Thanks for that. Has anyone ever tried Highway 301 sorta parallel to I-95 but to the east of it, from Delaware down to Virginia? This seems like local road w/ some traffic lights but may still be much better than I-95? Some of these routes show up on mapping websites if you remove I-95 from it.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccougar91 View Post
Thanks for that. Has anyone ever tried Highway 301 sorta parallel to I-95 but to the east of it, from Delaware down to Virginia? This seems like local road w/ some traffic lights but may still be much better than I-95? Some of these routes show up on mapping websites if you remove I-95 from it.

301 is ok through Delaware, but there's a lot of red-lights on it from Annapolis down to the VA border. And, you have to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which isn't bad unless the wind is blowing, which it often does. If you're squeamish about heights, that's not the bridge for you. Whenever I've run it, I didn't follow it on down into Richmond, but took VA-207 from Bowling Green, VA out to I-95 at Ruthers Glen, just north of Richmond.

Personally, I have always preferred US-13 down the Delmarva into Norfolk, VA. The traffic isn't all that bad, it bypasses the only cities of any size and the Rt-1 tollroad from I-95 feeds right into it at Dover, DE. And, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel is always interesting. It's about 20 miles long, you know.

The problem, though, is getting back out to I-95 from Norfolk. There's really no good way to do it other than looping around the south side of town on I-64 and taking US-58 west to I-95 at Emporia. There's nothing wrong with that route. I just never liked it and it seems to take half a day to cover that 50 miles or so from Suffolk to Emporia, VA. I-95 south to US-64 west and there you are in Raleigh.

One note of caution: I-64 is an even numbered interstate, so it's signed as east and west, regardless of which actual direction it's going. When you reach the US-13/I-64 junction in Norfolk, follow the signs to I-64 EAST, even though you'll be going directly south. Wait...it's gets worse! As you loop around the city, 64 eventually turns directly west until it ends and, I swear to God, it's still marked as I-64 EAST. Don't let the signs confuse you, which it easily can. You'll be tooling along going right into the setting sun and suddenly you'll see a sign which says you're going east. Your first instinct will be to panic. "OMG! Where did I miss something?" DON'T exit off and turn around or you'll end up right back where you started!

If you're not in a hurry and want to explore a little, another alternate would be to take the Garden State Parkway all the way down to Cape May, then ride the ferry across Delaware Bay to Lewes, DE. At the end of the parkway, just follow the signs to US-9 south and it'll take you right to the ferry. On the Delaware side, stay on US-9 a few miles to its junction with US-113 and head south. It'll run into US-13 at Pocomoke City, MD. Then, you're back on track to Norfolk. Call ahead to see if a reservation is required for the ferry.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM

19,783 posts, read 19,880,941 times
We just traveled 301 from Ruther Glen to Bear,De and although there are about 4 million traffic lights between Waldorf and LaPlata, the time added is not that much...it just feels like while you're doing it.
We also skip the upper end of 301,(near Glasgow) which is getting really built up and busy, by using De 1 from Bear to Middleton.
You could sip over to 85 in Richmond, to Raleigh but honestly, 95 isn't all that bad that far south of Washington.

Depending on where you are in Jersey, going via Allentown and Harrisburg (Rte 78) and down 81 and over to Richmond isn't bad either.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:12 PM

89 posts, read 174,432 times
How close are you to I-78? When I would drive from NYC to SC, I would take I-78 west to Harrisburg, PA, before switching to I-83 south towards DC. I-83 is very narrow in Pennsylvania, but there's not too much traffic. Once you get to DC, you don't really have much choice but to take the beltway down to I-95 south. Depending on the time of day you get there, the traffic can vary from manageable to hellish. There are several HOV lanes though.

I-95 from DC to Richmond is actually a fun drive once you get away from DC. The scenery is beautiful and I've never seen any traffic jams once I leave the DC area. Taking US301 seems like a cumbersome way to avoid the most direct and efficient route.

Once you reach Petersburg, VA, you can hit I-85 south, which is an enjoyable drive. Very little traffic on this stretch of road, and the scenery is relaxing. Just you and the trees. Take I-85 to US-1 and you can follow that to Raleigh. I can understand avoiding 95 to not have to deal with traffic in NJ and Philadelphia, but once you get to DC, it's probably a necessary evil.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,533,293 times
I always took the Baltimore Washington Pkwy/I 295 combo back to I 95. if there was traffic at the College Park interchange i would take exit 29 (Beltsville/Calverton) to US 1 to the beltway to the BWP/I295

if there was traffic at the Springfield interchange i took exit 173(Franconia/Springfield) made a right and got back on I 95 that way

then you are on to exit 51 (I85) to get to Raleigh

Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 32,254 times
I saw a plan for a new interstate from Raleigh, NC to Norfolk,VA. I am studying civil engineering and I am interested in new and convenient interstate routes, I saw a golden possibility that an interstate highway can be constructed from Raleigh,NC to Wilmington,DE or possibly even to Philadelphia,PA. The Interstate would connect Raleigh to Elizabeth City, NC. Elizabeth City to Norfolk,VA. Norfolk to Salisbury,Md. Then from Salisbury to the current toll road in Dover that goes to Wilmington,DE which is already upgrade to interstatw standards.

When entering Norfolk, the new interstate could take the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel from Norfolk to the Virginia Peninsula since it is already upgraded to interstate standards. Then it would go through the Virginia Peninsula which would be great for bringing more tourism and business from Virgina mainland to the Virginia Peninsula ( the area of Virginia not connected to the mainland Virginia). The interstate would run against highway 13 and continue up to Salisbury,MD. This would give Salisbury pop. 27833 access to a major interstate. Then the interstate would connect Salisbury to Dover as it continues to go along highway 13 and then it connects to the current tollway that connects Dover to Wilmington.

Some people want to name this interstate 44 or interstate 101 (the interstate portion planned to connect Raleigh to Norfolk). However, 44 is already taken in a different part of the country and 101 is three digits which is mainly for bypasses and his interstate must have a name not taken already with a couple of digits.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteeroads View Post
I saw a plan for a new interstate from Raleigh, NC to Norfolk,VA. I am studying civil engineering and I am interested in new and convenient interstate routes, I saw a golden possibility that an interstate highway can be constructed from Raleigh,NC to Wilmington,DE or possibly even to Philadelphia,PA. The Interstate would connect Raleigh to Elizabeth City, NC. Elizabeth City to Norfolk,VA. Norfolk to Salisbury,Md. Then from Salisbury to the current toll road in Dover that goes to Wilmington,DE which is already upgrade to interstatw standards.

When entering Norfolk, the new interstate could take the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel from Norfolk to the Virginia Peninsula since it is already upgraded to interstate standards. Then it would go through the Virginia Peninsula which would be great for bringing more tourism and business from Virgina mainland to the Virginia Peninsula ( the area of Virginia not connected to the mainland Virginia). The interstate would run against highway 13 and continue up to Salisbury,MD. This would give Salisbury pop. 27833 access to a major interstate. Then the interstate would connect Salisbury to Dover as it continues to go along highway 13 and then it connects to the current tollway that connects Dover to Wilmington.

Some people want to name this interstate 44 or interstate 101 (the interstate portion planned to connect Raleigh to Norfolk). However, 44 is already taken in a different part of the country and 101 is three digits which is mainly for bypasses and his interstate must have a name not taken already with a couple of digits.

Sounds like a great idea because it would allow traffic to bypass the whole DC/Baltimore mess. But, since it's east of I-95 and interstates are numbered east to west and south to north, it would probably have to be numbered as I-97 or even I-99, despite the fact that there are already interstates with those numbers. Other numbers have been duplicated before, so why not? (See: I-76, I-84, I-86, I-88)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues