U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM

414 posts, read 884,759 times

Advertisements

An hour from your parents is nothing. To put it in perspective, I'm a 24 hour drive from mine. That's quite a ways, so I'm moving closer. Still, it'll be a 10-hour drive. It sounds like you prefer City A. It also sounds like you're blowing the presence of a mall way out of proportion. Especially with online shopping as convenient as it is now, there are much more important characteristics of your living area (most of which have already been covered) than the presence of a mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM

3,499 posts, read 5,158,988 times
Is there any reason you are not naming the cities in question? Maybe we could give better feedback.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,303,380 times
Big box, grocery stores and department stores come and go. My advice is don't move somewhere for the retail as every shopping center has a shelf life. One day it's a Whole Foods, the next it's a Big Lots.
Malls are prone to jumping the shark.

My suggestion is to create a list of what's important and "score" the two cities based on who has more of what you want. But I must say it doesn't really sound like you're paying a lot of attention to what is important to adults. Mini Golf And Toys R us are great but what about property taxes? Insurance? Crime? Jobbertunities?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,995,855 times
If you have no reason to avoid your parents, Move there!
Nothing in the world but God will be more important in the near, coming years when "hard times" hit and are undeniable, but FAMILY.
Please, seriously consider getting closer to them. It'll be a win-win situation for all.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,866,698 times
I have decided I don't want to live in any of these options.

City A is Santa Maria, and Suburb of City A is Orcutt.

City B is San Luis Obispo

SLO's downtown has high end retail stores like Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Gap, Express, Apple, Barnes N Nobles, Solstice Sunglasses, Papyrus, etc...and also has Whole Foods and Trader Joes and the college. But the county only has an outlet mall.

I used to live in Oxnard, so I decided in 2 yrs will move to Oxnard and rent and then buy a home in Ventura.

Ventura is very suburban. A mall, a couple big box centers, burban homes, sit down restaurants and drive through restaurants, trendy downtown, the beach, good schools, nice weather, good parks and nearby hiking, a movie theater, bowling alley, and a mini golf park.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 AM

593 posts, read 1,232,977 times
I'm kind of familiar with the areas you are talking about, Ventura is the best choice. SLO is expensive and a college town and not great for jobs, i hear. I've heard the only fun thing to do in Santa Maria is getting pregnant. I agree with the people who said that malls aren't all they are cracked up to be, you'll appreciate them less as you get older and will appreciate the funky little downtown of Ventura more, I bet.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I'm kind of familiar with the areas you are talking about, Ventura is the best choice. SLO is expensive and a college town and not great for jobs, i hear. I've heard the only fun thing to do in Santa Maria is getting pregnant. I agree with the people who said that malls aren't all they are cracked up to be, you'll appreciate them less as you get older and will appreciate the funky little downtown of Ventura more, I bet.
Nope. The malls in Ventura County attract me. It's that suburban lifestyle I so crave for when I lived in Oxnard and in Northridge. I enjoyed every moment my friend Erik and I had when we would ride our bikes to mall, people watch, and get a snack. Taking girls on a date to the mall was fun too.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Based on this job,

Untitled Document

Say I am making $56,000 as year.

I am looking at a home in Ventura around $250,000.

Could one afford to shop for clothes at the mall and get food from Costco and Trader Joes and have 2 children?

Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,303,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Based on this job,

Untitled Document

Say I am making $56,000 as year.

I am looking at a home in Ventura around $250,000.

Could one afford to shop for clothes at the mall and get food from Costco and Trader Joes and have 2 children?
Probably not.
The 2 children are going to run you about $30k a year based on the latest reports of what children cost.

IF you sign a death pledge (mortgage) you're going to be on the hook for about $1750 a month for a $250k home (i'm guesstimating your cali taxes and could be underestimating)

That leaves you with $5k to spend on other expenses.
If you don't eat at restaurants AT ALL and only eat at home (cheaper) you will run $1250/mo on groceries.

So that's leaves you with -$10,000 in debt each year. Of course you would be much deeper in the red because I didn't account for any income tax. The actual figure will be closer to $30k in the hole. And obviously I'm leaving out tons of other expenses like cars/transport, utilities, home maintenance, entertainment yadda yadda.

You'll need a second income to pick up the slack and hope neither of you loses a job. My advice...

You're in cali, enjoy life... and

Skip
the
kids.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Probably not.
The 2 children are going to run you about $30k a year based on the latest reports of what children cost.

IF you sign a death pledge (mortgage) you're going to be on the hook for about $1750 a month for a $250k home (i'm guesstimating your cali taxes and could be underestimating)

That leaves you with $5k to spend on other expenses.
If you don't eat at restaurants AT ALL and only eat at home (cheaper) you will run $1250/mo on groceries.

So that's leaves you with -$10,000 in debt each year. Of course you would be much deeper in the red because I didn't account for any income tax. The actual figure will be closer to $30k in the hole.

You'll need a second income to pick up the slack and hope neither of you loses a job. My advice...

You're in cali, enjoy life... and

Skip
the
kids.
I am planning on a 30 yr mortage.

That job covers dental and insurance which would bring children expenses down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or