U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM

570 posts, read 1,142,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We are doing it. But ; there is a big but, we will have enough saved to get us by for at least a year. Yes, we have kids.

We have also done it from Ireland to NY years ago. That was when we were young and stupid ; not that stupid as we ended up staying for 26 years.

I would only do it if I had enough money ; that is why we can do it.
Good point, it does work for some people! I think having that $ set aside is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM

7,679 posts, read 8,978,074 times
No job offer. No move.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM

841 posts, read 1,659,094 times
My husband isn't getting anything here, no interviews, no calls. He has had some interest in the other area (3 calls in the last week). One was over before it began--he was screened out for not having EXACT experience or not being there.

We had to give notice on this place or be stuck here AGAIN for July. So we are moving somewhere this month.

If we relocate, I can try to get a part time job straightaway somewhere. No one is going to hire for a pt job from hours away.

If I have to, I will stick our stuff in storage and then get it later. I don't need things, just a life again.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,638,972 times
Unless you have several months of living expenses...like a bedbug.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,919,480 times
I have to agree it would be wise to have a job lined up.....but then again recruiters and HR people will see that you are out of state and basically 'TOSS" your resume to the side...It really is a catch 22 situation....I mean, you want to move to the new city, but you know u wont get hired unless you are physically there. I mean if you have a precise skill/career then you shouldnt have a problem...but if you are the regular joe and joleen blow, then it will be hard....I know this situation very well....living it right now...

Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,148,257 times
I guess it depends. My husband was getting a steady stream of calls on his resume from the Portland area. I was pretty stoked as that is where I wanted to go. Then it just fizzled out. He started getting calls from other places like Texas. So then it was like...well maybe we will end up there. He then got a call from a company that was only 4 hrs away so it was easy to go for an interview without busting the bank. Turned out that was the company that offered him the job. He only had a week to get started. He moved first and I stayed behind packing up the house and put everything in storage. He rented a room from someone on craigslist. Then I stayed with my mother for a while so my son could finish school and also hunt down a rental that would take 2 dogs and 2 cats. It wasn't easy. Then the guy my husband was staying with said he was having major money woes and if we would rent his house. So we did that. Anyway, my husband had a lot of calls from Oregon and Texas but neither place panned out. Just be careful.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM

570 posts, read 1,142,329 times
I think one thing to ask yourself is: What if you move and these nibbles your husband is getting don't pan out at all, as a previous poster mentioned happened to her husband? Do you pick up and move again to another area? That could get very expensive very quickly.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 AM

40 posts, read 58,216 times
I'm struggling with this myself right now. I really want to move from Milwaukee to Minneapolis, but I'm worried I won't find a job by the time my lease ends in January (althought I would probably be moving in November and paying off the rest of my lease). I do have at least 6 months of expenses in the bank, thanks to a generous inheritance, but only about 8 months total, and I really don't want to spend it all. But at the same time, I think it would be easier to move up there and then start looking for a job instead of having to drive back-and-forth for interviews. Plus, I'm temping right now so it's not always clear when I will have time off to go up there. I really want to get out of this area that I've lived in my whole life, and the sooner the better .

Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 AM

58 posts, read 184,939 times
We were in the same situation, except we couldn't move - hubby's getting out of the Navy. Instead, we starting checking out the area (online, calling around about housing, etc.). He flew down there for an interview, got the job and next weekend we fly in for a househunting trip.
Good luck with your job hunt & move!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM

841 posts, read 1,659,094 times
2 jobs fizzled...after the phone interview. One was the one he wanted but the jackass HR person didn't think he had EXACTLY what they wanted, but very similar--who knows?

The other didn't like that he questioned the pay rate which for the work expected.

So, one left if they bother calling back. He emailed them for a time he can be screened and they NEVER called that time.

So professional.

He's horrible at phone interviews so I got him a book from the library. He also redid his resume thanks to a few suggestions from a former HR person and it looks 100% better in my opinion.

At least I can say with each painful step I am learning a lot more for when I open up my job search in a few weeks.

Who knows if these jobs are just not panning because we are 4 hours away?

We've moved without any prospect before but we had more money at the time (or it was before our child was born). Now the recession just scares me. Or I am getting old and turning into a wimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues