Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You clearly had an epiphany that changed where and how you like to live. That's great! You've found the place that suits you best in terms of COL, life style and amenities.

Why not just let others do the same? With the exception of Elkins, WV, I've been to all the places on your list. They're nice places, but not for me. I'm quite content where I am even if the COL and home prices are a "rip off" in your opinion. In my opinion, the COL comes with a climate, ameneties and life style that I prefer.

I'm happy when people find a place they enjoy that works for them. I don't try and convince them that MY choices are superior and that they are somehow missing out on something if they don't agree with me.

(BTW, It's CLEVEland not CLEAVland.)
Oh, about the spelling error? Big deal. Do you feel good now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
The word "boycott" kind of puzzles me. If I move to a place with a lower COL it doesn't mean I am boycotting others with a higher COL. It just means I have made a choice in line with what I can afford. I am really not concerned about places that I can't afford. They are fine for those who can.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You do realize that those kind of houses are not everyone's taste, don't you? That is the last place I would want to own. . . Nice to visit as a B&B, but owning? no thanks.

And have any of you noticed that most of these cities that you are promoting are cold weather towns? That's not attractive to many people.
And you must realize that a shrink wrapped plastic sided house in a created community is also not every one's taste. Nor are the 'burbs.

I am most likely not knowledgeable about, nor interested in, RED state towns. I never researched them.

There are FAR more conservative places to live than there are moderate if you are on a budget.

So my research might have come up with locations that are disproportionately Northern.

Feel free to add your own, as others have done.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh, about the spelling error? Big deal. Do you feel good now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You clearly had an epiphany that changed where and how you like to live. That's great! You've found the place that suits you best in terms of COL, life style and amenities.

Why not just let others do the same? With the exception of Elkins, WV, I've been to all the places on your list. They're nice places, but not for me. I'm quite content where I am even if the COL and home prices are a "rip off" in your opinion. In my opinion, the COL comes with a climate, ameneties and life style that I prefer.

I'm happy when people find a place they enjoy that works for them. I don't try and convince them that MY choices are superior and that they are somehow missing out on something if they don't agree with me.

(BTW, It's CLEVEland not CLEAVland.)
Sheena -

There was clearly more to my post other than the spelling comment. I apologize if that offended you. It was not my intent to do so. I frequently misspell things and don't mind at all if someone corrects me so I can spell whatever it was correctly the next time.

As to the rest of the post, my question to you is: why are you so intent on having people agree with and confirm your choices? You've found what works for you. I respect that 100% and am glad you live in a place that is pleasing to you. What you seem to ignore is that other have done the same. They too live in places they love.

Instead of starting thread whose premise is negative, why not just start a thread call "I live in a low COL area and LOVE it! What do you love about your low COL area?". This thread on the other hand was started not solely to discuss lower COL areas that people may want to consider, but to bash those who make other choices. You've used the words "boycott, stupid, unacceptable, rip off, obscene" when describing housing choices you don't agree with. I find that disrespectful. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't give you license to insult them. It just means they feel differently than you do. You should do them the courtesy of respecting their choices.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Indianapolis is also regarded as America's Hidden Gem and that helps keep our city from expanding to fast like Atlanta or Dallas.
Nations most affordable housing market. lowest cost of living and taxes. Fastest Growing City in the midwest. Host of many major events and conventions like the Indy 500 and Super Bowl 46. Gen Con gaming convention too.
Within a Days drive to 80% of the US population for extra convience to meet with family and take a weekend getaway to places like Chicago and Cincy. Indianapolis also is a great place to raise a family. ranked as one of the best places in the nation to do so by Forbes.com and many other magazines. Maybe the Worlds largest childrens museum has a hand in that
The Quality of life in Indy is great and the city sure punches above its size of only 2M people.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
Must be an "eastern" thing... The obsession with cheap living, driving the cheapest cars possible, etc. or maybe it's just the folks that City-Data attracts.

I can't imagine living in any of the locations mentioned. Our "expensive" taste is based on a lifestyle that enjoys seamless indoor/outdoor living almost year round. The eastern cheapster towns don't have year round emerald green golf courses, surfing or sailing for example.

Beyond that, there's a completely different vibe here. Much more relaxed. More open. I've spent plenty of time traveling around our country, and there is a palpable difference in style. And it's not necessarily a climate thing either. Florida, Tennessee, the south in general keep the eastern mentality.

In essence, nothing wrong with living in an "expensive" area. You simply do what it takes to earn enough to afford the lifestyle you want. We all choose to be where we want to be...

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Must be an "eastern" thing... The obsession with cheap living, driving the cheapest cars possible, etc. or maybe it's just the folks that City-Data attracts.

I can't imagine living in any of the locations mentioned. Our "expensive" taste is based on a lifestyle that enjoys seamless indoor/outdoor living almost year round. The eastern cheapster towns don't have year round emerald green golf courses, surfing or sailing for example.

Beyond that, there's a completely different vibe here. Much more relaxed. More open. I've spent plenty of time traveling around our country, and there is a palpable difference in style. And it's not necessarily a climate thing either. Florida, Tennessee, the south in general keep the eastern mentality.

In essence, nothing wrong with living in an "expensive" area. You simply do what it takes to earn enough to afford the lifestyle you want. We all choose to be where we want to be...
Exactly.. We live in the NorthEast with insane cost of living, taxes through the roof, and it snows. A LOT. So in June, we're moving to Las Vegas. No snow, plenty of activities, and for the same money we pay now, we're doubling our home size. DOUBLE. I'm taking my job with me at the same pay. Did I mention no snow? And whoever mentioned Worcester, MA as a nice place to live has OBVIOUSLY never been to Worcester, MA. I lived nearby and worked there for years. No nice. Not even a little bit of nice.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Some of us love the snow, since we love to ski. So let me add a few relatively inexpensive towns in the rockies that have skiing:

Red Lodge, Montana

Leadville, Colorado

Must love snow! But in summer, endless hiking trails in the mountains. Both have numerous houses & buildings on the historic registry.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 AM

446 posts, read 708,867 times
You want cheap?

In Detroit you can buy a house for a dollar.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM

I happen to come from one of the most expensive suburbs in the country. I was raised in Oyster Bay, NY. I raised my family, for the most part, in Stony Brook NY. Starter houses there are $ 350,000, and those will not be in good shape.

An average home $ 500 -700. Taxes? $10,000 - $30,000. Are east coast people "obsessed" with low COL destinations? Obviously, not all.
The NYC suburbs alone are still quite populous, and are larger than many states and several countries in population. The schools there, can't be beat ( obviously not the inner city schools) and the access to ocean beaches, the arts and culture of NYC draw many.

Other people from East Coast suburbs are relocating. Many to the Carolinas or Florida.

I enjoy visiting both places. The Carolinas as a place to live year round would be way too conservative for me. There is so much "anti north - still fighting the Civil War sentiment" there.

The country is so politically striated now that I personally could never live in the South. Florida might be an exception, but I think I'd really miss the change of seasons.

We are moving once again - today - to Ohio, where we found our dream home.
The area rather reminds me of the North Shore of Long Island ( which was settled by people from New England) and of Connecticut. White steepled churches, rolling hills and lots of colonial architecture. As it turns out, that part of OH was indeed settled by folks from Connecticut, but my new older home would be five times the price with exorbitant taxes taxes on the North Shore or in CT.

Finding a great place to live with a lower cost of living, might take a couple of moves, as it has for us. We think it's well worth it, however.

Living anywhere that you do not enjoy, or in a place that is bleeding you dry with high prices - like the $20,000 in taxes we left behind in NY, is just not worth it.

Having a house payment that is less than our first rented 3 room apartment back in 1985, and being able to buy a place in Florida to visit in winter, and travel and afford college tuitions? PRICELESS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues