U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,226,817 times

Advertisements

Sheena ; you know that we did the same. We moved from expensive Long Island where our taxes were $12K a year, schools were crowded and not great so we sent the kids to parochial, we were stressed all the time. We were self employed and servicing the demanding people - ok, not all were demanding, but no matter what we did it wasnt enough for some people.

Now we have no mortgage, taxes are $5000, schools are wonderful, jobs are great ; I just got hired permanently and recieved a 25% increase, and we are actually HAPPY and STRESSFREE.

We are in PIttsburgh and love it here. People are so nice, friendly, helpful, chatty, hardworking and proud of their city. They are not demanding, they actually enjoy life and laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM

4,555 posts, read 7,024,744 times
Just curious...where in Ohio?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:48 PM

15,640 posts, read 8,755,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The premise of this whole post makes zero sense to me. Please explain the following:

Why do you think we should all boycott parts of the country you deem as expensive and define "expensive".

What do you think is a "relatively" high salary and define what it's relative to.

Why do you think people that live areas you deem as "high salary/COL" are less content with their choice to live there than those in "relatively" high salary and a "Low" cost of living areas?

If a large group of people decided you were correct and that W-B/Scranton was the place to be, do you think the results on your community would be positive or negative?

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Nominations for the least expensive places to live in the US?

I will nominate where I live - Wilkes-Barre and Scranton PA.

It NEVER appears on any of those stupid lists - it seems they only list places in Texas or Oklahoma.

Also, $ 200,000 homes are not inexpensive to me.

So, any places with relatively high salaries and a LOW cost of living.

What if all Americans boycotted expensive destinations?
This is an interesting idea. Don't live in the expensive areas, just go visit them. We also should make sure we don't get a bunch of rich people coming into the inexpensive places and buying up the land for their second homes.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM

139 posts, read 287,420 times
Quote:
Nominations for the least expensive places to live in the US?

I will nominate where I live - Wilkes-Barre and Scranton PA.

It NEVER appears on any of those stupid lists - it seems they only list places in Texas or Oklahoma.

Also, $ 200,000 homes are not inexpensive to me.

So, any places with relatively high salaries and a LOW cost of living.

What if all Americans boycotted expensive destinations?
Wow yeah definitely rubbed me the wrong way. It makes no sense. Boycot expensive destinations?

ANd you constantly bring up housing prices. Not everyone owns or wants to own. So the fact that 77,700 for a house is a fair median value in your city and the median value for a home in my city is 1,198,700 doesn't mater because I rent a cottage and I love it.

The above stats I got from areavibes.com.

Wilkes-Barre, PA stats
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Woodside, CA stats
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Cost of living in Wilkes-Barre, PA: 94
Cost of living in Woodside, CA: 201

So that is great it is more affordable and Woodside, CA got an F for cost of living on that site where Wilkes-Barre, PA got a B+. But total crime in your city is 119% higher then the rest of PA and the Wilkes-Barre grade for crime was a D+. Total crime in my city is 67% lower then the rest of CA and graded an A.

Graduated from high school Wilkes-Barre: 77%
Graduated from high school Woodside: 97%

Median household income Wilkes-Barre: 29,512 USD
Median household income Woodside: 186, 359 USD

I just took some of that stats from the main page.

I wouldn't want to live in your city. I was actually there once. I was visiting a friend in Manhattan and we went on a week-end antiquing spree. And you probably would not want to live in my city but stop insulting people.

I don't see how your city even fits into your own description of high salary and low cost of living. The median salary in Wilkes-Barre is practically minimum wage.

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,553,625 times
Quote:
However, I was once one of them. I thought that the suburban way was - well the ONLY way.

Isn't it a bit of a rip off to live in a 3 bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath house on a quarter acre for 400K while paying $ 8,000 a year in taxes?

To me, that's obscene! A $ 400,000 house is NOT a starter house.
Not to any sane person.

There are some wonderful places to live in the US.

They are not all on the coast.

They are not all within one hour of a big city.

They are not all in the Sun Belt.

The homes may not have granite and stainless. They may have pocket doors and stained glass.

Here are a few places that I think should be revisited or at least looked at by any one looking for a less pricey lifestyle -

1. Indianapolis IN - consistently makes the most affordable places to live list. A small city on the rise!
2. Little Rock AR - am unusually progressive and arty southern city with suburban like living for under 200K within city living.
3. Elkins WV - Beautiful mountain scenery, fou seasons, and a very low cost of living.
4. Worcester MA - interesting old New England mill town. Boston and Cape Cod to the east, Berkshires to the west, White Mountains to the North.
5. Maynard MA - watch this place! It is SO on the brink of a break through. Full of hipster thirty something moms with tattoos and toddlers who can't afford Boston.
6. Cleavland OH - Why? Because it's on a Great Lake, has smart people and - Cleavland ROCKS!
North East OH in general has some very livable cities with some nice and diverse inner ring suburbs.
7. Youngstown OH - see my previous post.
8. Wilkes-Barre PA - I live here!
9. Scranton PA - Very near by and slightly larger. Between Scranton and WB there are about 12 universities, a diverse population, proximity to mountains and lakes, and a beautiful river.
10. Irivington Manor NY - getting more expensive but still a bargain. In NY state's Catskill Mountains.

Any other suggestions?
Indianapolis is by no means of the imagination a *small city* its a major US city.
Any metro area thats in the top 30 nationally is a major US city.
the Indianapolis CSA has almost 2.4 million people so if thats not a major US city then idk what is.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,595,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
Wow yeah definitely rubbed me the wrong way. It makes no sense. Boycot expensive destinations?

ANd you constantly bring up housing prices. Not everyone owns or wants to own. So the fact that 77,700 for a house is a fair median value in your city and the median value for a home in my city is 1,198,700 doesn't mater because I rent a cottage and I love it.
The part of the country where Sheena and I live in is former industrial/ rust belt and there is a certain pride in that fact.

Many places in my city as well as Sheena's you go have a cheese steak and chase that with a shot and a beer in an establishment that's been in business for over half a century.

Many have their CCW (conceal/ carry permits in order to carry a handgun and also enjoy hunting.

We don't let people railroad us and defend our right to get in your face when we need to.

I'm a professional, own a nice home as well as a few rental properties and enjoy blowing things up at the firing range.
I'm also extremely sure that most in this area would find a Yogi about as useful as T1ts on a bore.

Sheena is only pointing out pride in her area as you are in yours.

Now go enjoy whatever it is you do.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
The part of the country where Sheena and I live in is former industrial/ rust belt and there is a certain pride in that fact.

Many places in my city as well as Sheena's you go have a cheese steak and chase that with a shot and a beer in an establishment that's been in business for over half a century.

Many have their CCW (conceal/ carry permits in order to carry a handgun and also enjoy hunting.

We don't let people railroad us and defend our right to get in your face when we need to.

I'm a professional, own a nice home as well as a few rental properties and enjoy blowing things up at the firing range.
I'm also extremely sure that most in this area would find a Yogi about as useful as T1ts on a bore.

Sheena is only pointing out pride in her area as you are in yours.

Now go enjoy whatever it is you do.
You may think no one in your area does yoga but yoga is everywhere and a quick Google search of Wilkes-Barre yoga pulls up at least a dozen studios in a 20 mile area. And I am sure all the gyms have yoga. You may not be into it but it is there. Yoga is everywhere. :-)

I am so glad that my city (San Francisco) is the most liberal and secular in the entire country. I am so glad that people don't talk about guns and religion. And I find myself really lucky that the 3 places I lived the longest are very liberal. San Juan, however, was religious, as most people in Latin America are very Christian. I just joined the local atheist group and met like minds.

But I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area most my life, 2 years in Paris, and 2 years in Puerto Rico. All those places liberal and 2 out of 3 are not religious.

Yep to each his/her own. I wouldn't like your town and you wouldn't like mine. I just didn't like how the OP was condescending.

And Julian Google search your city for yoga. You may be surprised.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,595,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
You may think no one in your area does yoga but yoga is everywhere and a quick Google search of Wilkes-Barre yoga pulls up at least a dozen studios in a 20 mile area. And I am sure all the gyms have yoga. You may not be into it but it is there. Yoga is everywhere. :-)

I am so glad that my city (San Francisco) is the most liberal and secular in the entire country. I am so glad that people don't talk about guns and religion. And I find myself really lucky that the 3 places I lived the longest are very liberal. San Juan, however, was religious, as most people in Latin America are very Christian. I just joined the local atheist group and met like minds.

But I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area most my life, 2 years in Paris, and 2 years in Puerto Rico. All those places liberal and 2 out of 3 are not religious.

Yep to each his/her own. I wouldn't like your town and you wouldn't like mine. I just didn't like how the OP was condescending.

And Julian Google search your city for yoga. You may be surprised.

I think you'd also be surprised that I'm progressive left Democrat to the exception of open borders and the 2nd amendment.

Spiritual I am religious I'm not.

Common ground.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I think you'd also be surprised that I'm progressive left Democrat to the exception of open borders and the 2nd amendment.

Spiritual I am religious I'm not.

Common ground.
Hehe, I saw the bit about guns and the comment about a yogi and I pictured another stereotype. Which of course is easy to do in written context. :-)

I am with you on border issues. I live in CA and it is definitely an issue that comes up often as out state has does have an international border. I have traveled to over 70 countries on 6 continents. I have lived on 4 continents, including Africa (Malawi) and Asia (Indonesia). I am by no means prejudice. I have friends locally that come from all over the planet. But sometimes I have to bite my tongue around my Mexican friends when immigration issues come up.

It drives me insane that there are public schools in CA that cater to Spanish speakers and though they are supposed to force the children to learn English they don't. It's a huge peave of mine. I studied French in high school and people gave me a very hard time. I went on to get a Bachelors in French but in high school every one said I was wasting my time and in CA I needed to learn Spanish. My family history from a long time ago was French and I wanted to learn the language and the constant banter about Spanish really drove me batty.

Anyway, end of rant! Have a good weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues