U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,069 times

Advertisements

My sister and I are moving to Pittsburgh at the middle-end of December 2012. We have been doing tons of research on the best routes to take and weather conditions. We found 3 different possible routes, but aren't sure which one to take as we want to get there as soon as possible.

Option 1: Taking I-90 east all the way into Chicago and then hopping onto I-80 until it runs into the I-76 and hooray Pitt!

Option 2: Taking I-90 to the I-82 down into Oregon and then after hitting the I-84 down into SLC and then the I-80 all the way to the I-76.

Option 3: Jigging and jogging from Washington all the way down to the I-40 (trying to avoid CAL at all costs) and then the jigging and jogging back up north to our new home in Pittsburgh.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome! We are 2 single girls moving with our 2 cats and my sister isn't a very experienced driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,588,662 times
I-90 has some high mountain passes on it and the likelihood of hitting snow in December increases the higher up you are and the farther north you are. IMHO..not a good choice.

Going down to I-40 is too far out of the way, though it will probably be snow free in early December, except maybe around Flagstaff, AZ.

Best bet, which is not without the threat of bad weather? I-5, I-84, I-80, I-76, I-79. It's all toll road from Illinois to I-79, but good roads which they plow and treat promptly if it should snow. But, it probably won't, except maybe in Wyoming and Nebraska.

On the other hand, you're moving to Pittsburgh so you might as well learn to drive in the snow now.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 AM

349 posts, read 538,775 times
WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH! Ok, a little pre-emptive, but still...

Any route you decide on, keep in mind you'll most likely be dealing with cold temperatures and snow. Pittsburgh is very hill-y and can be difficult to navigate if you're not familiar.

What part of the Burgh are you moving to?

Feel free to message me if you like. I'm a life long Pittsburgher.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:14 AM

28,361 posts, read 61,612,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandanoelle83 View Post
My sister and I are moving to Pittsburgh at the middle-end of December 2012.
That gives you plenty of time to sell your cars and maybe even re-home the cats.
Also plan to sell all of your larger "things" limiting the move to what can fit into a box.

UPS those boxes and Fly to Pittsburg.

Once there... rent a cheap car for a week as you go about setting up your new place
and buy replacement furniture and a car or two.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-16-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 10:49 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,460,167 times
Wouldn't it be easier to ship your belongings to PIT and fly? When I moved from Western NY (State) to Minneapolis I had a yard sale, kept the important stuff for shipping, and flew. Then I picked-up my stuff at the freight depot a few days after getting settled. Just a thought.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 PM

21,480 posts, read 14,118,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandanoelle83 View Post
My sister and I are moving to Pittsburgh at the middle-end of December 2012. We have been doing tons of research on the best routes to take and weather conditions. We found 3 different possible routes, but aren't sure which one to take as we want to get there as soon as possible.

Option 1: Taking I-90 east all the way into Chicago and then hopping onto I-80 until it runs into the I-76 and hooray Pitt!

Option 2: Taking I-90 to the I-82 down into Oregon and then after hitting the I-84 down into SLC and then the I-80 all the way to the I-76.

Option 3: Jigging and jogging from Washington all the way down to the I-40 (trying to avoid CAL at all costs) and then the jigging and jogging back up north to our new home in Pittsburgh.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome! We are 2 single girls moving with our 2 cats and my sister isn't a very experienced driver.
Just curious what you've decided. I am a little worried about you two driving in December through the Rocky Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues