U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM

10 posts, read 36,242 times

Advertisements

so ive lived with another boyfriend before for a while but we didn't work out but it was only about 10 mins away from home. NOW i'm moving with my more serious boyfriend who is in the airforce who lives 22 hours away and idk what to do ! I'm worried i wont have friends or anything .. and i want to go to a good christian church .. I'm moving to washington. Would like some girlfriends to chat to so i know someon else there besides my man !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM

22,481 posts, read 16,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blm1990 View Post
so ive lived with another boyfriend before for a while but we didn't work out but it was only about 10 mins away from home. NOW i'm moving with my more serious boyfriend who is in the airforce who lives 22 hours away and idk what to do ! I'm worried i wont have friends or anything .. and i want to go to a good christian church .. I'm moving to washington. Would like some girlfriends to chat to so i know someon else there besides my man !
You will find people like that in your network with the Airforce. Find a place on base that caters to wives and family of soldiers. I know you aren't married yet, but you can still use those resources. Just...beware, sometimes there's drama. So, know that upfront.

Join a MeetUp in your new city. When you say, "Washington", I assume you mean the state, not DC. Having lived in WA, I can tell you, it can be difficult to meet new people as some of the long time residents don't always open up to people who came from other places. So join a church, as you said, join some MeetUp outings, go volunteer some places to start meeting people.

It can be hard, at first, especially if you've never really moved before. I've moved so much it's second nature now and it's not hard for me to find people to hang out with. But, if you haven't had the practice, it's not always easy. Just keep putting yourself out there. Eventually you will have that social circle you are looking for.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 PM

521 posts, read 3,919,450 times
Here's a few resources geared specifically to military spouses and families.

MilitaryHOMEFRONT - U.S. Department of Defense
Air Force Registration Page
Army Wife Network and Army Wife Network - News/Media - Lawton, OK | Facebook

Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 PM

13,262 posts, read 25,405,201 times
Do military resources refer to live-in girlfriends/boyfriends or only to legal spouses?
Anyway, if OP is interested in a good church, she should be able to find friends and like-minded people there. Best wishes.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 AM

15 posts, read 17,987 times
To get move to the another place is really very stressful. I do agree as Cathy have explained that it is necessary to have all the information about the place where we are moving.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 AM

3,648 posts, read 9,580,039 times
Some bases/family support groups support girlfriends as well, but most have no interest in girlfriends - especially when they do not live with the servicemember or have any children with him. They support FAMILY members, and girlfriends are not family, no matter how serious the relationship, a lot of wives will alienate you - knowing that if it was REALLY serious, he'd marry you and receive BAH for the both of you and medical care for you. If he doesn't do something to help ensure you're taken care of (especially when he's deploying), they're not going to do it for him.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You will find people like that in your network with the Airforce. Find a place on base that caters to wives and family of soldiers. I know you aren't married yet, but you can still use those resources. Just...beware, sometimes there's drama. So, know that upfront.

Join a MeetUp in your new city. When you say, "Washington", I assume you mean the state, not DC. Having lived in WA, I can tell you, it can be difficult to meet new people as some of the long time residents don't always open up to people who came from other places. So join a church, as you said, join some MeetUp outings, go volunteer some places to start meeting people.

It can be hard, at first, especially if you've never really moved before. I've moved so much it's second nature now and it's not hard for me to find people to hang out with. But, if you haven't had the practice, it's not always easy. Just keep putting yourself out there. Eventually you will have that social circle you are looking for.

Dude you are right, you can find Soldier's families and their wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues