U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to move to Australia
Yes 18 40.00%
No 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,616,675 times

Advertisements

No desire to live there or visit, even if it was for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM

78,624 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Australians don't have a good reputation in their relations with women and Aboriginal people. So, no. It's also too hot and dry. New Zealand I might like, because it's beautiful, and because I have a number of Maori friends there. The Maori art and cultural scene is exciting.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,851,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I moved FROM Australia to the United States. Honestly, I have no intention of moving back. The cost of living in the United States is SO much lower, and I just feel that my quality of life here is far premier to Australia (mainly due to the lower cost of living).

Over the years though, I've heard a LOT of Americans tell me that they want to move to Australia... but most of the time they've never even been, and have no idea how "good" they have it over here.
Exactly! I'm an Aussie that's been living the USA for over a decade and I approve of your post

Old 06-16-2012, 04:39 PM

103 posts, read 170,382 times
Default Not sure what part of Australia you saw--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Australians don't have a good reputation in their relations with women and Aboriginal people. So, no. It's also too hot and dry. New Zealand I might like, because it's beautiful, and because I have a number of Maori friends there. The Maori art and cultural scene is exciting.
But it is a beautiful country and not all of it is hot and dry-plenty of amazing coastline and scenic diversity! Being a an Australian woman I have never had an issue with "how I was treated" I think there's a little "stereo typing" going on there.

I have lived around the world-I love Australia and probably go back to live there one day-but as the two previous posters said-I would find it hard to leave the USA -the cost of living here (including healthcare premiums) is just to good.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,510,360 times
It really is... I try to shut Americans up the second they complain about the cost of living here in the U.S., because no matter what way you twist it- Australia is far worse off!

As I've mentioned in other posts, my husband and I are buying our first house this year and paying cash- no mortgage. On a lower-middle income (my husband is currently enlisted military) that would be absolutely impossible to do at our age (late 20s) in Australia.

That does bring me to one point though- Australia does have better conditions and pay for the military than the U.S., but of course, the Australian military is a fraction of the size. I heard once that the entire Australian military (Army, Air Force and Navy) could all fit on Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base here in the U.S.

That being said though, I still have no intention of moving back to Australia. The majority of people that tell me they want to move to Australia don't have realistic notions about the cost of living, nor about the country itself.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,742,485 times
Quote:
Well there has been changes for women in Australia and women who work can get 18 weeks paid parental leave. The scheme provides eligible working parents with 18 weeks of Parental Leave Pay at the rate of the National Minimum Wage, currently $590 a week before tax. Paid Parental Leave scheme
American women are entitled to 6 weeks parental leave yet not all states have parental leave.

In addition the head of state is a woman, as well as the governor general is a woman. Plus women have been leaders in government in state level in just about every state in Australia. In addition there has also been an Aboriginal woman in politics recently as well: Australian women in politics - australia.gov.au

Australia does not have good reputation with their relations with Aboriginal people, yet America also does not have a good reputation with its native Indians.

Yet one thing about America is better is it is cheaper to buy homes over there. In Australia it is very expensive, even for electricity and it is going to get worse.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,429,485 times
Quote:
Misconception,it is not all hot and dry. Most states have 4 seasons, some all in one day.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 AM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
We've been to Canberra, Sydney and Cairns and loved every minute of it. Enjoyed the friendliness and the hospitality of the people. Loved the fresh food too. I'd like to move there for about 5 years just to travel and see the whole country to get a good feel for of all of Australia. What we saw was quite scenic and in some cases spectacular.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
No, I am afraid of those baby eating Dingoes.

Really, I thought about going there to work, I have friends who went there. But, my family is here...that plane ride to Austraila is like an entire DAY! Too far away. I don't even want to visit there.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM

175 posts, read 227,363 times
I would absolutely love to visit..it's at the top of my "bucket list." Live there? Ehh..I wouldn't oppose it kicking and screaming but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it happen. I just don't see what Australia offers that the US does not. Of course, I have not been there so this assessment is based on limited knowledge and zero experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues