Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM

507 posts, read 1,533,432 times

Advertisements

Just ordered two cubes for moving our stuff from Ohio to FL. Has anyone used the cubes? If so I would love to hear your experience.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much shifting there is of contents in the cube after they pick them up and put them on the trucks? We have some very big (and tall) plants and I'm wondering if I can pack some in the cube? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,495,683 times
Please keep us posted on how they work for you, as I plan on doing the same thing from NY to Fl. How were they price-wise compared to other options?

Frank

Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM

521 posts, read 4,401,011 times
ReloCubes are a do-it-yourself moving product offered by AFB Freight Systems. ABF is a general freight common carrier. Unlike household goods movers who use specially designed air-ride equipment, most of ABF's long distance over-the-road equipment is spring-ride freight trailers.

How well your household goods travel and the condition they arrive in at destination, then, is mostly dependent on your own packing and loading skills. You want to pack and wrap well and load/block and brace to achieve the best weight density in each cube.

Have you already obtained an agricultural inspection for your plants? Since Florida relies so heavily on its agriculture to sustain their economy, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services might require a USDA inspection and permit depending on the quantity and types of plants being imported into the state. Plant & Pest Permits, DPI - FDACS That's why professional movers won't include plants as part of an interstate relocation.

If necessary, you would have to give the permit to ABF for their driver to have available if the load is inspected at the port of entry. Otherwise your plants may end up in a dumpster.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Wow, I didn't realize there were issues transporting plants. The ones I want to take are a few large cacti that I've spent years growing. I figure if I can grow them in Ohio they should do great in Florida.

Okay just checked the link you provided, I'm not seeing where household personal plants need any kind of permit or inspection -- ??

Frank I will post about the experience.

We ordered two cubes, and the price is about 2K. Cheaper than PODS. They will be dropped off on the eve of the 15th and picked up around the 19th or 20th. We will be heading to FL on the 21st and the cubes should get there 22nd or 23rd.

I'm not sure we will need two cubes... we've already gotten rid of a ton of stuff... and there are a few things we will be keeping as we need to rent an apartment until Dec here in OH. (Our house sold but husband can't leave work here until Dec)... anyway if we don't need the second cube they will take it back.

When are you headed to FL?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:59 PM

521 posts, read 4,401,011 times
The following information is an except taken from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Service's Summary of Plant Regulations, Bureau of Plant and Apiary Inspection, DPI - FDACS

Quote:
"House plants which are part of a passenger's baggage or household effects may enter the state provided the plants are accompanied by a certificate of inspection. Should the plants originate from a state that does not offer an inspection and certification service for house plants, the owner must be able to furnish the Department a Florida address where the plants will be located. This information will enable the Department to conduct a follow-up inspection if deemed necessary. If sufficient information is given, the plants will be allowed entry.

NOTE: It is unlawful to move into Florida any and all kinds of citrus trees and parts thereof except by a special permit from the Division Director. Permits are not required to move citrus fruits into the state."
I suggest you call to clarify their current state entry requirements:

Plant Industry Helpline 888.397.1517
Citrus Health Response Program 800.282.5153
Outside of the U.S. 352.334.0970

Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM

After my post I was also thinking about the plant inspections. I'm sure many folks just drive down with a few plants, but of course legally that is wrong.

Hard to say how they would do on the trip....succulents are pretty fragile. Added to that is the heat inside those cubes, etc.

I do not have a set date for moving....it all depends on when our NY home sells. We believe it will be sometime this summer, or at the latest fall. Like you, we plan on moving very little. Our Florida home is already furnished, so hardly any furniture will go down...mostly some boxes and some tools. Once packed, we are in no hurry to get them....if it was cheaper I'd let them take weeks....there is nothing we are taking that I could not live without for a few weeks.

Frank

Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the plant info. If it turns out to be a hassle I won't take them. I can always grow more.

Frank our place in FL is partially furnished too. This move has been in the works for awhile so when we bought our condo last Feb we started furnishing it in FL. I found out pretty quick that most things aren't worth moving, especially with the consignment shops in FL. We found some very nice things, and I was amazed at how much nicer the consignment shops are compared to what I have seen here. We're only taking a few favorite things and stuff with sentimental value.

Is your house on the market? Selling was my big fear, so I was really relieved to sell and don't mind going to an apartment until we can leave for FL permanently....... Even though it is a hassle to be moving around like this.

Good luck selling your house. Being in NY you probably had a winter similar to me. I won't miss the mid-west winters one bit!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 AM

You are so right about most stuff not worth moving. Most folks simply do not realize that the cost of moving stuff is many times not worth the value of the stuff.

Thankfully, we are not too attached to much of the stuff we own. we have spent the last few years getting rid of stuff, selling and giving things away. If the kids want something, great. If they do not, we do not try to push anything on them. Just because some old table was Aunt Sally's does not mean it has to be a burden on my kids.....unless they want it.

As we get closer I plan on putting everything we want to move in the garage and measure to see what we will need. I already know it will not be big.....

And yes, the winter here outside of Buffalo was bad this year....but hopefully it will be my last one with snow.

Frank

Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,772,637 times
I used the Relocube a few months ago going from NJ to Nevada.
You'd be amazed how much that thing holds.
Just remember to back it up as high as possible.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I used the Relocube a few months ago going from NJ to Nevada.
You'd be amazed how much that thing holds.
Just remember to back it up as high as possible.
Thanks. When you say back it up as high as possible do you mean pack the contents to the top of the cube? I've been wondering about shifting of contents.... how do you think breakables will do in the cube? I understand I will need to pack with some kind of insulation/bubble-wrap but I'm wondering how much the cubes move around, if they are ever turned upside down, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues