Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM

43 posts, read 103,125 times

Advertisements

I need to move my car from Long Island, NY to New Orleans, Louisiana. Any recommendations which company to use for it?

No I am not driving it or asking my friends to drive it. Please provide the recommendation as there r so many companies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Are you moving house? If so, and you are using movers they might be able to handle the arrangements of you. This is how we are moving one of our cars.

I wonder if Angie's list has records of car shippers? Be sure to do a BBB check on the companies you are interested in. In our experience they all seemed to charge about the same.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM

43 posts, read 103,125 times
mayflower said we charge more as we r not exactly car moving company. Any names please.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
look up auto transporters in your LOCAL yellow pages.
make your best deal.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,125 times
There are sometimes good deals to be found on "uShip."

Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
look up auto transporters in your LOCAL yellow pages.
make your best deal.

^^This is the best way to find one, call around and get a few price quotes. Some companies may have established routes to that area and it will not cost you as much as a moving company who will do this exact same thing but charge you double the price for the "convenience". I hired a local auto transport company to bring over a car from CA to AZ (~350 miles) a few years ago and it was very inexpensive ($250) and they did a great job. I found them through the yellow pages and calling around getting a few quotes.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,640 times
The auto transport industry is made up a few big guys that operate large fleets nationwide, and thousand and thousands of small, independent motor carriers who only have one or two trucks.

Most of the companies that advertise vehicle transport services online are property brokers. They don't have any driver or equipment resources under their direct dispatch control. Basically they sell your business lead to those bidding on it, clip a coupon, and hand off customer service responsibility to the winning bidder.

Many of those who advertise on virtual reverse auction transportation websites like uShip or free community bulletin boards like craigslist don't have the proper operating authority to transport any kinds of goods in interstate commerce much less something as valuable as an automobile. Is shopping for a mover in a virtual marketplace safe? | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Some licensed motor carriers also have their own brokerage authority, and many brokerage companies are quite legit. It's up to you to perform your own due diligence based on your unique transportation service requirements and move budget.

Pricing and service requirements will vary based on the actual origin and destination address, type/profile/mechanical condition of vehicle, customer schedule, carrier schedule, industry volume and budget.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
i'd add the 'u-ship' site as well; if nothing else to use for some general quotes. It then would give you company names which you can use to narrow down your research

Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
And, they will give you time estimates to get your car there. Ours was 7-10 days, but they didn't pick them up till a few days after they estimated they would. Got them there in 7 days. Rental cars aren't cheap either. I used Get-R-There I think it was, brokered through a Phoenix company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues