U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM

43 posts, read 56,890 times

Advertisements

We have to move from Long Island, NY to New Orleans, LA. Most of the moving companies are booked for next 2 weekends.

I am thinking of hiring United Mayflower Conatiners as Mayflower trucks are booked too.

I have around 40 boxes and some furniture. They told me it would be 1 1/2 containers but anyway I will have to apy for 2 containers so I may do some shopping from IKEA as ther eis no IKEA in louisiana.

They will charge $3,000 for the move - they load, unload etc.

Extra if I want them to pack my TV etc.

Has anyone ever used them? is this a reasonable price?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM

521 posts, read 3,927,422 times
United-Mayflower Containers Services was formerly called Store-and-Move (SAM). It's operated by Unigroup, Inc. The company's legit and the price appears competitive based on the limited information you provided.

The entire period between now and July 7th will be the busiest weeks of the entire year in the domestic moving and storage business. Several of the largest national van lines and some truck rental and container transportation companies have already restricted new business bookings until August nationwide.

Each day you spend shopping for a cheaper price significantly increases your chances of NOT moving on the dates you planned - regardless of the method you decide to move with. Just like the airlines, the closer you get to your travel date, the more the prices will increase.

Some local traffic ordinances in both NYC and NO restrict the placement of unattended portable moving containers or trailers, depending on the exact addresses you're moving from and to. Best to figure out if mobile/portable containers are even legal before you make your arrangements otherwise your final cost could increase substantially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues