U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 129,315 times
Default Cheapest option for getting a moving truck

Sometime next March, I'll be moving from Charleston, SC to Norfolk, VA. It's a while off, but I'm anxious to move up there (partly because my boyfriend just deployed & moving up there will mark the end of deployment & the start of us living together) so I'm already looking into things (I also want to make sure I have money set aside well ahead of time).

After comparing the major truck rental companies, I found that Budget was the cheapest. I don't have a lot of stuff to move because I'm still living with my parents. Basically I'd be moving a queen size bed & mattress, a tall dresser, a 42" TV, and then clothes & things like that. I'll also be bringing my car (Nissan Sentra) so I think between that & a 10' truck, it'd all fit. But, if I want to tow my car I have to get the 16' truck

My dilemma is that I can't figure out what the cheapest way to go about it all is. Most likely, my mom will be driving up with me and she'll need a way to get home after I'm moved in. The drive to Norfolk is about 450 miles. We can either get a big truck, tow my car & have one of us drive hers behind or have her fly back or get a rental car back so we don't have to put miles & pay for gas on another car.

Or would it possibly be cheaper to pay for someone else to drive the truck if we pack it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM

18,870 posts, read 14,242,342 times
Get rid of your stuff, buy used or new in your new home. Pack your personal stuff, have your parents send it to you via UPS when you get to your new place. This will save YOU tons of money...when you look at the gas for hauling stuff, truck rental...It will be a wash...consider it.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 AM

I get what you're saying because the big stuff I couldn't fit in my car (bed, mattress, dresser) probably only cost $600 total but it's fairly new furniture and I'd rather not have to buy all new stuff. I suppose if I could sell it and recoup $300 it might not be such a bad idea. I won't even be moving into our new place when I get up there, my boyfriend is continuing to rent a room in a house while he's deployed so we'll have somewhere to stay while we find a permanent place. The room is furnished (although two people sharing a twin bed isn't the most comfortable arrangement) so not having our own furniture for a while wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm wondering if maybe my mom could just strap the mattress to the roof of her Jeep Commander & we could forgo the truck all together. The bed & dresser fit in the Commander when we first purchased them. If we could get the mattress on there, that'd be perfect because I'm sure my mother would want to help move me up there anyways.

(If we were doing the truck thing, she wouldn't bring the Commander because of the bad gas mileage, but would instead borrow my sister's car which is also a Nissan Sentra)

Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,484,873 times
If you want to keep the bed, etc, consider pulling a UHaul-type trailer with the Jeep. (and driving your Sentra)

If you sell the bed, etc, then consider towing your Sentra with the Jeep, using a "tow bar" from UHaul or other.

Either way, no rental truck cost, and Mom goes home in the Jeep.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,256,494 times
You need to be very careful with budget.

One time, I made a reservation with them and when I went to pick it up, they said I have traffic tickets and won't rent to me. Can you imagine making advance plans to move then you go to get your moving van and they tell you tough luck? That'll throw a wrench in your plans for sure.

When you rent a u-haul one way, they don't charge you by the mile.
They give you a certain number of miles and days included but it's more than enough and if you don't think it is, you can always negotiate with them. That's the thing with u-haul... it's all negotiable.
So if you haven't driven a big truck before and you're not 100% comfortable with that, ask them to throw in a few extra days that way you'll be able to take your time and not feel like you have to drive like a speed demon in order to get the truck returned.

The trick to getting a super cheap price with uhaul is...
Call up to get a quote and tell them "I'll think about it" but leave them your name and number and when you plan to move. Someone on their sales force will call you back and these people are like closers... they'll do whatever it takes to get you to make the reservation. Tell them you got a lower price elsewhere and they will lower it to whatever you tell them it is.

I've had them lower 26' trucks to $200 one way over 600 miles before. And while they aren't known for having the newest equipment, the fact is, you can request a new truck. I would suggest renting from a corporate owned uhaul center not an affiliate so you can have more of a selection. Call the local center a few days before your pickup date and tell them that you have a reservation and want to make sure it will actually be there. And thats when you ask them what the newest truck is that they have and can you please have that one. LAst time I did that, I got a brand new, never rented truck with less than a thousand miles on it. Beside that, I've found the local uhaul center employees to be to be very helpful and super friendly. I go get propane fillups there from time to time and there's like an army of people to help with the large tanks that I have.

As for your question, is a 10' truck that much different than a 16' truck...
Chances are if you're not used to driving a truck, it's all going to feel like driving a house down the road. You can rent a truck for a day just to get a feel for it. Heck, you might go to your local uhaul center and tell them your concerns and ask them if you can sit inside the two sizes or take it for a spin around the parking lot to determine if you can handle it. I don't know what they'll say but it's worth asking.

Summary of *my* uhaul tips...

Leave your name and number and expected move day (or a little sooner) with their reservations deparment. Negotiate with the person that calls you back.

Ask for additional days and additional miles at no extra cost.

Reserve at their corporate owned centers whenever possible. (But know where other locations are.)

Call a day in advance of the move and make sure the van is actually there.

Request the newest truck they have on the lot

Oh! And don't plan to move at the beginning/end/middle of the month. That's when everyone moves.

When you actually go to pick up the truck, ask them nicely "can you do a little something to help me out on price, pretty please" with your best puppy dog face. It never hurts to ask.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM

16,595 posts, read 20,360,822 times
There's a VERY high likelihood that several other Navy families will be making that same move about then.
Find one (or two) and share.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 PM

128 posts, read 169,107 times
I think we are getting a pretty good deal. We're using a 20ft Uhaul and Driving Two cars 1000 miles. ( I know the two cars thing is unavoidable) I'm paying $1300 for the truck and then adding $1000 to that for Gas. We will stay in a hotel for 1 night to get good sleep so I add another $250 for that. Then figure maybe $500 for incidentals over the 3-5 day process. We have 2 Bedroom sets and a dining room table to move with Chairs. Also have a sectional and sitting chairs. Of course when you move a whole house you take the garage and the lawn stuff too so we will definitely use all of that 20 ft. The cars are in fact SUV's but we can't completely load them, we got people and a dog. I'm paying movers prolly $300 and then a cleaning crew $150. I will follow all the advice listed above and the walkie/talkies would be great. I don't want any of us talking on phones on the highway. Still have a few more days to go but it's getting really exciting. Wish us safety and good luck.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 PM

2,737 posts, read 838,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avschmidt91 View Post
Sometime next March, I'll be moving from Charleston, SC to Norfolk, VA. It's a while off, but I'm anxious to move up there (partly because my boyfriend just deployed & moving up there will mark the end of deployment & the start of us living together) so I'm already looking into things (I also want to make sure I have money set aside well ahead of time).

After comparing the major truck rental companies, I found that Budget was the cheapest. I don't have a lot of stuff to move because I'm still living with my parents. Basically I'd be moving a queen size bed & mattress, a tall dresser, a 42" TV, and then clothes & things like that. I'll also be bringing my car (Nissan Sentra) so I think between that & a 10' truck, it'd all fit. But, if I want to tow my car I have to get the 16' truck

My dilemma is that I can't figure out what the cheapest way to go about it all is. Most likely, my mom will be driving up with me and she'll need a way to get home after I'm moved in. The drive to Norfolk is about 450 miles. We can either get a big truck, tow my car & have one of us drive hers behind or have her fly back or get a rental car back so we don't have to put miles & pay for gas on another car.

Or would it possibly be cheaper to pay for someone else to drive the truck if we pack it?
Your cheapest route would be to sell all of your possessions you can, including your car. Buy a decent used Minivan, and stuff it full of the rest of your possessions. Drive to your destination with the minivan - even with some stuff strapped to the roof.

If you don't like the minivan, sell it after you get there and buy a sedan.

The bottom line is that moving is VERY expensive. It's probably MORE expensive then the combined total value of all your stuff.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM

4,453 posts, read 2,755,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post

The bottom line is that moving is VERY expensive. It's probably MORE expensive then the combined total value of all your stuff.
ITA! There is also some value in the stress saved by not doing the heavy lifting and hauling of the big stuff. I don't want the hassel!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM

@reed303: I actually thought of that after I posted and it seems like it would be the best bet if we can't get the mattress to fit on the commander itself or can't convince my mom to drive 450 miles with a mattress strapped to her roof (thinking she won't be into that). Originally I had planned on using my brother's pickup truck for the move, but of course he went and wrecked that a month ago.

@Cittic10: I hadn't planned on going with Uhaul just because their online quotes were so much higher than Budget's. But if I do decide to go with a truck, I'll consider what you said and see what price I can get out of them. And if I go with a trailer, I'm pretty sure Uhaul is one of the only companies that rents those. I actually wouldn't be driving the truck myself, because I'm only 21 and if I could get them to rent to me, it'd be more expensive. So my mom would be driving, and she has some experience driving a big moving truck when we moved from STL to Charleston a decade ago. But not a bad idea to try and get a test drive first to be safe.

@MrRational: I'm not sure there will be, only because I would assume most families with sailors on his ship already live in Norfolk. The only reason I'm still in Charleston is that there wasn't any good time for me to move up there between when he got orders to Norfolk & when he deployed.

@BigGeorge: There's no way selling my car, which is very new & worth at least $12K, and all my other possessions and buying an old van would be worth it. If I had an old junker, I might consider it but from what I calculated even if I go the most expensive route (which would be flying back) I'm looking at ~$700. Not exactly what I want to be spending that much on, but not a bank account killer either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues